Expired

PC world/Currys refusing to refund?

Found 8th Nov 2012
Hi,
i purchased a tablet online from currys, upon arrival i switch it on, i didn't like it so next day i called currys to return it, they accepted and sent me an email saying they will get back to me, nothing happened for 2-3 days, i called them again and this time they started asking question did you used it and i said to them ofcourse i switched it on to inspect. they refused the return it saying they consider that using and they don't accept used items even in the 7 days return period.

I think it is unfair, what options do i have?
Community Updates
26 Comments
DSR protects you

/Thread
depends if you cancelled under dsr or just sent it back
They've tricked you into admitting that you 'switched it on' which they will treat as being 'used'. (It may install software on first boot or startup). However I still think you should argue with them.
Edited by: "fuzzydunlop" 8th Nov 2012
Agree with above comment, they have fobbed you off. - Tell them you want it returned under the distance selling regulations, they do not have a leg to stand on. They may make you pay carriage though.
You could play a game of frisbee with it, as long as it is not broken you can send it back.
I've had to return stuff to them before. As stated above, DSR covers you but dealing with them is such a ball ache I only shop there as a last resort. They're **** idiots.
boohai

See this … See this page:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?260962-Distance-Selling-Regulations-Return-of-Item-in-quot-as-new-quot-conditionYou have a right to inspect the goods.

Hardly official confirmation.
OP has previous........
Its your fault. If you use the product it takes atleast a good bit off its value. It would be unfair for currys to suffer this because u changed ur mind
boohai

See this … See this page:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?260962-Distance-Selling-Regulations-Return-of-Item-in-quot-as-new-quot-conditionYou have a right to inspect the goods.

thanks thats a very useful link.
humadoon

thanks thats a very useful link.

just sent an email to the ceo, lets see
You can take it into store too, even if it was bought online
So did you cancel the order as per DSR or just return it ?

DSR is quite clear in that you need to contact the seller in writing (letter/email) to say you are cancelling under the DSR before returning , if not you will be using the sellers returns policy
popcorn thread.

dunfyboy

I've had to return stuff to them before. As stated above, DSR covers you … I've had to return stuff to them before. As stated above, DSR covers you but dealing with them is such a ball ache I only shop there as a last resort. They're **** idiots.

Amazing all the bad things people say about Comet, here is Currys trying to join in with the internet big boys and failing miserably, which is why they will never come close to the likes of Amazon.

There are only a few online retailers where the service is impeccable, I always buy from Amazon/John Lewis, even Argos can be a right pain when it comes to returns.
humadoon

just sent an email to the ceo, lets see

Why the F are you messing about with that, just ring them back and tell them you want it collecting end of story.
They're under no obligation to refund you. Why should they refund you the value of a brand new/sealed product which you've now unsealed, opened and used? Just by breaking the seal you've knocked a chunk off the value, which means they can't re-sell it again and they end up being out of pocket.
Orcinus_orca

Its your fault. If you use the product it takes atleast a good bit off … Its your fault. If you use the product it takes atleast a good bit off its value. It would be unfair for currys to suffer this because u changed ur mind

It may be unfair to Currys but the distance selling regulations do not link your right to cancel with the ability to resell the items and so goods that have been opened and tested and are therefore are not "as new" and resalable can still be returned.
roum89

They're under no obligation to refund you. Why should they refund you the … They're under no obligation to refund you. Why should they refund you the value of a brand new/sealed product which you've now unsealed, opened and used? Just by breaking the seal you've knocked a chunk off the value, which means they can't re-sell it again and they end up being out of pocket.

By selling the item, they HAVE to follow the law in the UK, therefore they are obligated to refund the OP.
BTW Currys Ts & Cs say "The product has not have been used or installed or had any data inputted. Whilst the goods are in your possession you must take reasonable care of them and not use them" but OFT say "You may provide instructions about how to take care of the goods and packaging, however, any instructions cannot restrict a customer's reasonable opportunity to inspect and assess the product". (oft.gov.uk/sha…pdf
So they can't use the fact that it was turned on and used as an excuse either. After all, you can only inspect the aesthetics of a tablet without turning it on.
boohai

It may be unfair to Currys but the distance selling regulations do not … It may be unfair to Currys but the distance selling regulations do not link your right to cancel with the ability to resell the items and so goods that have been opened and tested and are therefore are not "as new" and resalable can still be returned.

This is the bugbear of online selling, they cant have it all ways, profit, low overheads, returns..... They have to follow the rules!
aircanman

Why the F are you messing about with that, just ring them back and tell … Why the F are you messing about with that, just ring them back and tell them you want it collecting end of story.

I appreciate your help but please mind your language
^^^ France, feck, frack, fluffalumps. He was only stating the facts.
You have a legal right to return it, email customer services and state their T&Cs are contradictory to your statutory rights. You up held your end by returning within 7 days they must honour theirs.
Did you do a security reset on the device before returning it?
The only reasonable option for them to decline a refund is they don't know what data may be on it, Jim may have fixed it for you. This standard form of wariness is used for a data storage device. Any retailer who sells on a device with possibly dubious data on it would feel a world of pain if that was the case. Btw I'm not inferring you have.
humadoon

I appreciate your help but please mind your language

Which piece of his language do you object to?
greatest666

Which piece of his language do you object to?

The English bit......

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants