pcm in kodi

Found 8th Nov 2017
i watching a source that is 5.1 and it is outputting on the amp but shows pcm on the yahama amp

is this correct or any settings i clicked pass through on kodi settings
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
It's fine, in fact it pure lossless IIRC.
Edited by: "Krooner" 8th Nov 2017
i. Just love it when it says dolby on display
jonmarz891 m ago

i. Just love it when it says dolby on display

It's better than dolby in sound terms, but I get where you're coming from.
LPCM is decoded audio so KODI has already converted it. You need to enable Bitstream to pass through HD audio through to the AMP so it can decode it.
kester761 h, 2 m ago

LPCM is decoded audio so KODI has already converted it. You need to enable …LPCM is decoded audio so KODI has already converted it. You need to enable Bitstream to pass through HD audio through to the AMP so it can decode it.

Are you sure there's actually any difference between PCM and Bitstream. I thought they both passed digitally compressed audio to be decoded
i can't select audio output, it says just android
OllieSt3 h, 10 m ago

Are you sure there's actually any difference between PCM and Bitstream. I …Are you sure there's actually any difference between PCM and Bitstream. I thought they both passed digitally compressed audio to be decoded

Not 100% sure but I think some Amps can decode extra information from the source like Atmos. Also frees up a lot of CPU power if you're software decoding and then remuxing on the fly. I dont think it matters for the older audio standards so much now.

Sorry its a bit vague. Will grab some sleep and should be able to answer better.
OllieSt23 m ago

What hardware is Kodi installed on?

nvidia shield,
jonmarz896 m ago

nvidia shield,

Go into settings within Kodi and change from basic to expert, then all your sound options will be available
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Nov 2017
yea it's on expert and shows, dolby etc etc pass though, and plays 5.1 on speakeasy, just shows pcm on amp,
jonmarz8957 m ago

yea it's on expert and shows, dolby etc etc pass though, and plays 5.1 on …yea it's on expert and shows, dolby etc etc pass though, and plays 5.1 on speakeasy, just shows pcm on amp,

github.com/koy…ers
Settings are above but if you're altering the audio in any way it wont bitstream as you're remuxing. Bitstreaming is only the passthrough of raw audio data and not anything else.
Even if your Amp doesn't support HD audio it will play the audio cores so you will get DD and DTS light up from your amp on that. Remember that Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS are both raw data in stereo 16bit and the AMP converts that into 5.1 of will hear a horrible screaming noise.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions