People are generally good

Found 17th Dec 2017
lost my wallet in Tesco...full of cards and cash...went back and it had been handed in complete with cash.

gave a tenner to charity as I didn't know who handed it in.

good deeds breed good deeds.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

summerof7632 m ago

I found £10 outside a church a few months ago and went in and gave it to …I found £10 outside a church a few months ago and went in and gave it to the priest.

What about the £10 note though?
78 Comments

32784947-rH5pf.jpg

Agreed, every now and again you come across a good peach

Recently I left my watch and phone in a changing room at a spa. Went back and someone had handed both in. Couldn't believe it but was very grateful as the watch was expensive and would have been easy to nick.

No one wanted to be caught on camera stealing a wallet

Love it when things like that happen.

Lost my Costa rewards card with about a tenner on it and somebody drank the lot. lol

Probably a religious person or one of them poor people, possibly a remainer

I reckon it depends on where you live Dave.

Most folks are good and honest... Also depends where you dropped it. Places around my town where it will get taken off you

Original Poster

Bestard5 m ago

I reckon it depends on where you live Dave.

It depends entirely on good people, they can be found anywhere in the UK imo.

davewave10 m ago

It depends entirely on good people, they can be found anywhere in the UK …It depends entirely on good people, they can be found anywhere in the UK imo.

You're right. I seem to recall another member @david_wavid describing a similar experience. I think he gave £20 to charity.

Ive lost my phone twice in Glasgow, and twice I have got it back no problems.

I'm not going for three times lucky though

I would hand it in if I was the finder. So would almost everyone I know. Unfortunately, I once left mine somewhere and returned within 3 minutes and it was gone, never to be seen again. My dad dropped his in a supermarket carpark between the till and the car whilst wheeling my terminally ill mother in a wheelchair and, again, despite retracing steps within mere minutes it was gone.

We must have been very unlucky, because I think your post is right and that the majority out there ARE decent. It wasn't even about the cash, even if the opportunists had taken the cash and just left the cards, drivers license, etc. Then we would have been fairly happy over all.

Glad your experience was good!
Edited by: "SuperDan" 17th Dec 2017

Original Poster

splender1 h, 5 m ago

Such as her for £20 thinking it was finders keepersPickpocking A case in …Such as her for £20 thinking it was finders keepersPickpocking A case in USA, AtlantaHere , stealing pursePeople are generally good, though most tend to melt away like snow flakes on a jot of effort.

"Melting on a hot of effort"

Thanks again for your eloquence.

SuperDan15 m ago

I would hand it in if I was the finder. So would almost everyone I know. …I would hand it in if I was the finder. So would almost everyone I know. Unfortunately, I once left mine somewhere and returned within 3 minutes and it was gone, never to be seen again. My dad dropped his in a supermarket carpark between the till and the car whilst wheeling my terminally ill mother in a wheelchair and, again, despite retracing steps within mere minutes it was gone.We must have been very unlucky, because I think your post is right and that the majority out there ARE decent. It wasn't even about the cash, even if the opportunists had taken the cash and just left the cards, drivers license, etc. Then we would have been fairly happy over all.Glad your experience was good!

Almost everyone? Name and shame who wouldn't

I'd have taken the tenner out as reward then handed it in
Edited by: "airfix" 17th Dec 2017

oliverkennedy107 m ago

Almost everyone? Name and shame who wouldn't

Will rephrase.... All my friends would. Everybody knows a few 'undesirables' for one reason or another! It's a very scummy thing to do when it could so easily be handed in it's not like with a phone or wallet the owner won't be looking for it.

Happened to me a few years ago lost mine more or less in the middle of nowhere
and someone handed it in but to the bank not the cop shop

so took them a whole year to post it back

Surveys in the past have found most people (around 88%) do the 'right thing' in any given situation

somewhat doubt this is the case in modern UK ?

davewave1 h, 26 m ago

It depends entirely on good people, they can be found anywhere in the UK …It depends entirely on good people, they can be found anywhere in the UK imo.

Anywhere in the world.

we don’t have a monopoly on good people

I found £20 in Morrisons a few months ago. Handed it in, but no one took my details, she just said thanks and smiked at me til I left. To this day I wonder if the girl pocketed it.

Original Poster

joanddan77 m ago

Anywhere in the world.we don’t have a monopoly on good people

I agree. Depends on ethics taught at an early age.

davewave3 m ago

I agree. Depends on ethics taught at an early age.

I actually think it’s the other way - we are born with instinct to protect and be nice to each other but we learn about greed and gluttony and hatred. The more we have the more we want.

RedNWhite1 h, 59 m ago

Love it when things like that happen. Lost my Costa rewards card with …Love it when things like that happen. Lost my Costa rewards card with about a tenner on it and somebody drank the lot. lol

Started reading thinking it will be a happy ending ..but it weren't and was not nice but your lol made smile...good post

dealtime4 m ago

Started reading thinking it will be a happy ending ..but it weren't and …Started reading thinking it will be a happy ending ..but it weren't and was not nice but your lol made smile...good post

Wasn't happy at the the time, but oh well, a lot worse things can happen.

I once saw a credit or debit card on the floor in Morrison so I let a staff know about it.i was too scared to pick it up to hand it to them in case they think I'm taking it

When people do hand things in and the owner is right there sometimes they don't even say thanks... I handed in the keys I found for a VERY expensive car and the owner was in the store about 3 metres away waiting...no one said thanks

when someone does hand something in make sure you thank them.especially if it' the keys to a very expensive car

The only slight problem I've had is where to hand things in . There is that worry that if you pick it up and walk away that your intention might be misconstrued. The wallet I gave in to the gate security at an event that was being held across the road from where I found it , and I still wonder if it found its way back . The phone was easier as it was unlocked and so I called the first name on the contacts , explained that I'd found the phone and told them which shop I handed it into so they could contact their relative and arrange for them to pick it up .

In return , the only time I've ever lost my phone it was returned to me via a call to my daughter. These days I lock the screen but have a rolling message across the top with my email contact so it can always find its way home. My daughter also had her railcard handed in when she lost it too.
Glad thatyou got your wallet back safe and sound.

I lost my house/car keys in a parkland area. The keyring had one of those capsules that holds a folded note for emergencies. The keys were handed in and the money taken from the capsule. Not quite what I thought the capsule was for, but I was perfectly happy with the outcome

The last thing I handed into the police, they broke in front of me. So the owner never got it back in the working order that I gave it to them in.

The next time, I handed an iphone I found in a car park in at the shop the car park belong too. I have a funny feeling they kept the phone as they looked rather too excited when I gave it to them.

Can't win really. Fortunately, I don't find such things very often. I can't recall a time where anyone has ever returned my property to me. Maybe if I dropped a glove while I was walking or something.
Edited by: "MSK." 17th Dec 2017

On my local Facebook selling page a couple of days ago someone put on that they had lost a purse with £200 Christmas money in it in Morrison's. I said to myself I doubt they will see that again. The next day, the op updated the post saying it had been handed in with contents intact.

sydney252 m ago

I once saw a credit or debit card on the floor in Morrison so I let a …I once saw a credit or debit card on the floor in Morrison so I let a staff know about it.i was too scared to pick it up to hand it to them in case they think I'm taking it

Twice i've seen a contactless card laying on the ground while out walking. Like you, I was concerned about picking it up to take to the bank in case it had been used while lost.

My son picked up an iPhone on the way home from school so not sure what to do we walked all the way to the police station took like half an hour. They took his name and my phone number not sure why

I dropped a £20 note in Tesco about a year ago only realised when I got to the till. Had a quick look round but couldn't find it.

Was just about to leave when I thought I'd be silly and ask at the customer services. To my surprise the woman replied a customer handed it in but didn't leave any details. It had been lying in the middle of the isle.

I found £10 outside a church a few months ago and went in and gave it to the priest.

summerof7618 m ago

Twice i've seen a contactless card laying on the ground while out walking. …Twice i've seen a contactless card laying on the ground while out walking. Like you, I was concerned about picking it up to take to the bank in case it had been used while lost.

You are right there, I didn't even think that it could have been used by a culprit who later dropped it in Morrison. You've made me wiser, thanks

I found a £20 note on the floor in Wilkinson and handed it in but the girl behind the counter wasn't sure what to do about it!
I did my bit the rest is up to them.

Was in Sainsburys not long ago seen £5 on the floor before i picked it up i asked an elderly lady in a brown coat stood next to me in the isle if it was hers she said No. I said ok i will hand it in to the CS desk just so it didn't look like i was taking it i actually felt embarrassed picking it up. I went strait to CS desk handed it in they said i could leave my name and claim it back or it could go to charity i said charity. Carried on shopping as i was leaving the store guess who was at the CS desk trying to claim the £5 Yes the old lady in the brown coat. 5 flipping £ and this lady thought she was winning until i told CS its definitely not hers explained my reasoning and she left tail between legs.

summerof7632 m ago

I found £10 outside a church a few months ago and went in and gave it to …I found £10 outside a church a few months ago and went in and gave it to the priest.

What about the £10 note though?

Nice to hear

Not sure people saw my post

TAKE THE FOUND LOST WALLET TO THE POLICE STATION

NoT tHe Bank
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants