People calling sick at work!

Found 18th Jul
I understand that sometimes you feel unwell and can't work. But I do think that people at my workplace are taking a peewee...

Some individuals racked already 2 weeks worthy of sick days in less than a year!

Am I being pedantic or people should be more loyal to their employer?

I did get sick , during my holidays! But unless I am not able to move or function I will do my best to go to work!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave because I’m rarely sick but I feel no loyalty to any company, if an employee dropped dead Monday morning and they could get a replacement employee Monday afternoon to maintain production it would be done without question.
gcmarcal18th Jul

That's not the point. I don't think they are really sick. They don't show …That's not the point. I don't think they are really sick. They don't show any symptoms of the claimed illness once they are back. I

Maybe they got better?
You're on HUKD while at work, complaining about people skipping work?
Edited by: "James123" 18th Jul
If you are sick please don't go to work and pass it on to others because you are so stubborn/stupid/selfish/small-minded/inconsiderate.
108 Comments
Not the time nor the place.
that's why if i ever get Sick, which in many years never took a sick day, i have i probably have to come in and barf all.over, cause no one seems to believe ppl are Sick these days for them 24 hours bug, especially on Sunday
His this for crazy then? My brother in law works for an electric company in the draughtsman office. They get a 6 week sickness absence allowance per year. He was called into the office in February and told (YES TOLD!!) to take four weeks off '' sick ' as he hasn't used enough sick leave and it would run out.
Edited by: "mrty" 18th Jul
but i believe at my place,if you take too many you trigger a system
Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave because I’m rarely sick but I feel no loyalty to any company, if an employee dropped dead Monday morning and they could get a replacement employee Monday afternoon to maintain production it would be done without question.
Loyalty to a company existed maybe 50 years ago when companies offered their employees great pensions as a reward for loyalty.

Nowadays, competition is though and everyone is replaceable.
Anyone loyal to a company is IMO foolish because no company is going to be loyal in the same way back to that person.

Just my opinion.
Dannyrobbo39 m ago

Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave b …Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave because I’m rarely sick but I feel no loyalty to any company, if an employee dropped dead Monday morning and they could get a replacement employee Monday afternoon to maintain production it would be done without question.

I do! I worked 15 years for the same company and left to start a new career . Worked in insurance for 6 months and left ( Cos' they are crooks!) Took me almost a year to get a decent job.

My current employer is very flexible with work arrangements and holidays / leave. But I do feel that people are abusing it.

On my previous job with insurance if you called sick a few times you would be put in a "black list" and would be carefully watched.

Point being: Sick days is for sickness not some renamed holidays!
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 18th Jul
It's a fine line between being sick enough to need time off and being able to work.
The trouble is if your coming down with a illness and you go into work and infect everyone else instead of one person being ill for a few days you have half a dozen people being ill.
If you are sick please don't go to work and pass it on to others because you are so stubborn/stupid/selfish/small-minded/inconsiderate.
jco8311 m ago

If you are sick please don't go to work and pass it on to others because …If you are sick please don't go to work and pass it on to others because you are so stubborn/stupid/selfish/small-minded/inconsiderate.

That's not the point. I don't think they are really sick. They don't show any symptoms of the claimed illness once they are back.

I
gcmarcal18th Jul

That's not the point. I don't think they are really sick. They don't show …That's not the point. I don't think they are really sick. They don't show any symptoms of the claimed illness once they are back. I

Maybe they got better?
Being sick has nothing to do with loyalty. Just because you can tolerate your illness doesn’t mean everyone else can. We shouldn’t be so concerned about other people’s well-being unless we’re trying to help them. Sickness comes in many forms, not all serious illnesses stop you from functioning. Some illnesses can can have an impact on your mental state of mind.
monkelus19 m ago

Maybe they got better?

and I was born yesterday!
Are you at work now?
For I while!

I will soon "be sick" and go home as it seems to be an acceptable practice in here.
Maybe they're sick of working along side you and want to spend more time away from your whinning
Good point. But I am not moaning at them, I am doing in a deals forum full of strangers!
gcmarcal14 m ago

and I was born yesterday!

You could probably take some time off for that.
You're on HUKD while at work, complaining about people skipping work?
Edited by: "James123" 18th Jul
monkelus2 m ago

You could probably take some time off for that.

Op sounds like one of those people at work everyone hates.

Whether they are sick or not. It’s not your business to say.
To be honest i think the fact you pay this much attention to who is off sick, when they are off sick and if their symptoms are still around when they return to work would be more concerning to me as an employer than a couple of unjustified sick days.
Unfortunately we definately have people abusing the sickness scheme at one of my jobs . Officially if we take more than a set number of sickness breaks ( normally two a year)it all gets registered and leads to disiplinary action . Unless and please don't shoot me down here it's a mental health issue whereas you can take as much time off as you nee . Now if it's genuine that's fine ,but people are definitely abusing the situation ( they have admitted it to other staff members ) , which to my mind is pretty low on two counts . Firstly it makes a bit of a mockery of the system and doesn't help those who really do need the extra time off, and secondly the rest of us just have to pick up twice as much work . The main culprit has been in work about 50% of the time they should .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 18th Jul
mrty2 h, 3 m ago

His this for crazy then? My brother in law works for an electric company …His this for crazy then? My brother in law works for an electric company in the draughtsman office. They get a 6 week sickness absence allowance per year. He was called into the office in February and told (YES TOLD!!) to take four weeks off '' sick ' as he hasn't used enough sick leave and it would run out.

My brother-in-law works at a similar place. He makes plans for holidays etc around his sick allowance - 'yeah, I've still got 15 days sick leave left'
Most people view their sick allowance as extended holiday allowance. The way I view it is if ever a redundancy situation came up (I have been through this several times) those that are always absent or slightly less hard working go first. It’s been my experience that this is actually the case several times and I’ve always survived these situations. I also believe that if your not loyal and hard working at work this tells you a lot about a persons character and they are likely to be that way personally too (in relationships/friendships).

Sickness should be there for those that need it (ie those that are ill) and should not be abused.
cmdr_elito19 m ago

Most people view their sick allowance as extended holiday allowance. The …Most people view their sick allowance as extended holiday allowance. The way I view it is if ever a redundancy situation came up (I have been through this several times) those that are always absent or slightly less hard working go first. It’s been my experience that this is actually the case several times and I’ve always survived these situations. I also believe that if your not loyal and hard working at work this tells you a lot about a persons character and they are likely to be that way personally too (in relationships/friendships).Sickness should be there for those that need it (ie those that are ill) and should not be abused.

I have the complete opposite experience. Usually those that know how to play the system and have sickness on and off - especially work place stress - are usually those that survive as HR are too afraid to be accused of penalising them.

No loyalty in large companies. Everyone is replaceable even if you are by far the best, loyal and hardest working...

in fact most times that makes you a target from the work shy toad above you.
I'm getting over a bout of flu (yeah, only one who gets it in summer!) and I work in a supermarket and worked two night shifts coughing all over the shelves (I do cover my mouth but then I touch stuff with my arms etc)and blowing my nose.
If I called in sick then the company would put me on a verbal warning. Guess the people who will get my germs will be happy!
Edited by: "hearts22" 18th Jul
cmdr_elito22 m ago

Most people view their sick allowance as extended holiday allowance. The …Most people view their sick allowance as extended holiday allowance. The way I view it is if ever a redundancy situation came up (I have been through this several times) those that are always absent or slightly less hard working go first. It’s been my experience that this is actually the case several times and I’ve always survived these situations. I also believe that if your not loyal and hard working at work this tells you a lot about a persons character and they are likely to be that way personally too (in relationships/friendships).Sickness should be there for those that need it (ie those that are ill) and should not be abused.

Dispensable people go first. If you are hard working but dispensable you will be gone before someone who takes the odd sick day but has knowledge that can't be easily replaced.

Some of the smartest and least dispensable people i work with are really lazy. But their desire to not work too hard makes them come up with new and creative ways to reduce the work they have to do in the first place.

You have to be really ill though to get away with a real sick day since most of us can and do work from home most of the time.
hearts222 m ago

I'm getting over a bout of flu (yeah, only one who gets it in summer!) and …I'm getting over a bout of flu (yeah, only one who gets it in summer!) and I work in a supermarket and worked two night shifts coughing all over the shelves and blowing my nose. If I called in sick then the company would put me on a verbal warning. Guess the people who will get my germs will be happy!

I hope you don’t work at my local!
I don't take sick days, mainly because I'm never sick (Once in the past 10 years).
If I did need to take them I would.
I'd rather have people that are ill (or lazy) staying at home tbh, last thing I want is to catch anything.
Simba9212 m ago

I hope you don’t work at my local!

I wouldn't have gone in if it wasn't for the verbal warning thing and I did try my best to cover my mouth but I do touch stuff with my hands and arms so it's not good all the same.

Don't know what I'm supposed to do. They even discourage you officially from going in in these instances but try and call in sick saying you have the flu... They think it's nothing so not a good enough illness to be staying at home!

I definitely think if you have something contagious you should stay at home. I hate colds so I'd rather work harder one night and take on more work than being unable to sleep decently for days because of a blocked nose someone gave me. But that's me.
Edited by: "hearts22" 18th Jul
Some sensible opinions one. Some from people that think is acceptable to "pull a sickie".

I can access this site at work as I have some downtime between replying emails, scanning stuff and I always manage to finish my workload in time.

Coincidentally, the "sickie patrol" are the worst performers in my workplace. They are always talking BS and having more tea breaks than they should have.
Do away with sick pay they won’t take p*** anymore as no one can live on ssp it’s not even enough for half a night out
A forward and modern thinking Human Resources is the key, with an in place employee wellbeing programme.

25% of workers suffer with depression and stress with their wellbeing due to unhealthy working conditions resulting in mental health issues.

This [article] says it all. Yes, I am sure there are certain individuals within the workplace that do take the proverbial pee, but this country most certainly has an underlying problem with some of the highest full time employment hours in Europe and outmoded work ethics...clearly takes its toll.
Sounds like you need to take some time off work and relax your mind!
gcmarcal42 m ago

Some sensible opinions one. Some from people that think is acceptable to …Some sensible opinions one. Some from people that think is acceptable to "pull a sickie". I can access this site at work as I have some downtime between replying emails, scanning stuff and I always manage to finish my workload in time.Coincidentally, the "sickie patrol" are the worst performers in my workplace. They are always talking BS and having more tea breaks than they should have.

Sounds stressful all that emailing and scanning stuff.
Dannyrobbo3 h, 39 m ago

Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave b …Loyal to a company makes me laugh, personally I don’t take sick leave because I’m rarely sick but I feel no loyalty to any company, if an employee dropped dead Monday morning and they could get a replacement employee Monday afternoon to maintain production it would be done without question.

so you think the entire company should down tools because someone dies?
Edited by: "eset12345" 18th Jul
Bargainhead49 m ago

Do away with sick pay they won’t take p*** anymore as no one can live on s …Do away with sick pay they won’t take p*** anymore as no one can live on ssp it’s not even enough for half a night out

should be limited to SSP from day one and need a 'fit note' from day one also, see how many 'pull a sickie' when they need to go and annoy their GP to get their £15 a day sick pay
CoeK11 m ago

Sounds stressful all that emailing and scanning stuff.

As if those are the only things I have to do!
gcmarcal3 m ago

As if those are the only things I have to do!

Well since you have so much downtime between those things it seems that is what you are saying.

Which makes me wonder how you know who the worst performers in your office are, surely only the management would know that?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants