People carrier that can pull 1500kg caravan

Found 8th Sep 2012
Looking for a people carrier that can sit 7 people and can pull a 1500kg caravan.

Want one where the back seat can slide forward as our dog sits on the back seats and he wants to be as near to us as possible so we need the seat to slide forward and backward.
Community Updates
MiscCaravan
59 Comments
What's your budget? That would help with the advice
Look at a 2.5litre+ engine
Argoj

What's your budget? That would help with the advice

i would like to find the type of people carrier that can pull this and then look at how much each would cost. i want the cheapest one possible that fit the criteria.
this looks good
Max towing weight (braked) 3200 kg
Or if you want to save then this is it.
Max towing weight (braked) 2300 kg

You would need 300+ hp
Edited by: "gpawan" 8th Sep 2012
gpawan

Look at a 2.5litre+ engine

Not about the engine these days, works of the MTPLM, which first of all does not usually exceed the weight of the car.
You need to calculate the gross weight including everything you put in the caravan and then by a car that is heavier than the total.
slamdunkin

You need to calculate the gross weight including everything you put in … You need to calculate the gross weight including everything you put in the caravan and then by a car that is heavier than the total.

Yer the van will have an 'MTPLM' weight, which is the van, with all your bits and bobs.
aircanman

Yer the van will have an 'MTPLM' weight, which is the van, with all your … Yer the van will have an 'MTPLM' weight, which is the van, with all your bits and bobs.

Isn't that what I just said in layman's terms that the OP would understand
Not sure about the sliding seats, but we did have a 1400kg caravan, and had no bother towing it with a 2.0 Deisel S-Max (barely knew the caravan was there). Our Mazda 5 2.0 diesel also did the job fine. We also had a Citroen C8 2.0 petrol, which was absolute pants at it. Apparently petrol cars are generally poorer at towing due to torque or something? Maybe that doesn't apply to the bigger engines.
slamdunkin

Isn't that what I just said in layman's terms that the OP would understand

LOL, yes, but they go by the MTPLM, legally it can't be heavier than this.
You also need to know the vehicles train weight....which is the maximum weight the car manufacture states of both the car and the fully laden caravan combined should not exceeded.

aircanman

Not about the engine these days, works of the MTPLM, which first of all … Not about the engine these days, works of the MTPLM, which first of all does not usually exceed the weight of the car.

Yes however there is a section on auto trader which states the manufacturer's max towing weight which is very useful for finding the perfect caravan car.
If you look closely I have stated this in my post.
Edited by: "gpawan" 8th Sep 2012
slamdunkin

You also need to know the vehicles train weight....which is the maximum … You also need to know the vehicles train weight....which is the maximum weight the car manufacture states of both the car and the fully laden caravan combined should not exceeded.

Which catches a lot of people out when towing the bigger vans! Apparently that is a grey area though.
aircanman

LOL, yes, but they go by the MTPLM, legally it can't be heavier than this.

Why are you still woffling on....MTPLM is exactly the same as Gross weight of a fully loaded caravan.
Here you go OP....save this link as it has lots of info and links to everything you need to know.

caravanningnow.co.uk/car…htm
4 cows will do the job
sofiasar

4 cows will do the job

And fresh milk available as well. Win Win. Maybe the op should reconsider
sofiasar

4 cows will do the job

my dog won't be happy that there are cows pulling our car.
can't imagine the cows would be happy either, especially me other half. X)

only joking.
panddda

Not sure about the sliding seats, but we did have a 1400kg caravan, and … Not sure about the sliding seats, but we did have a 1400kg caravan, and had no bother towing it with a 2.0 Deisel S-Max (barely knew the caravan was there). Our Mazda 5 2.0 diesel also did the job fine. We also had a Citroen C8 2.0 petrol, which was absolute pants at it. Apparently petrol cars are generally poorer at towing due to torque or something? Maybe that doesn't apply to the bigger engines.

i hate diesel cars. had one some years ago and it is very noisy in comparison to a petrol engine. but would consider one if it fits what we need and have to put up with the noise.
gpawan

this looks goodMax towing weight (braked) 3200 kg Or if you want to save … this looks goodMax towing weight (braked) 3200 kg Or if you want to save thenthis is it.Max towing weight (braked) 2300 kgYou would need 300+ hp

they look good prices but they are not people carrier though.
A ssangyong rodius would be ideal and has a 2500kg tow limit and it's also very spacious inside

carmagazine.co.uk/Dri…ew/
calum c

A ssangyong rodius would be ideal and has a 2500kg tow limit and it's … A ssangyong rodius would be ideal and has a 2500kg tow limit and it's also very spacious insidehttp://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Ssangyong-Rodius-270-S-CAR-review/

doesn't sound bad this one as i don't care much for how it looks just as long as it does the job.
it's a korean car, so does that mean that servicing and repairs would be expensive as the parts won't be readily available and not all garages will be able to fix it?
mutley1

they look good prices but they are not people carrier though.

my mistake. the first one carries 7 people even though it's not called a people carrier. 7 seater is adequate for what we need.
gpawan

this looks goodMax towing weight (braked) 3200 kg Or if you want to save … this looks goodMax towing weight (braked) 3200 kg Or if you want to save then this is it.Max towing weight (braked) 2300 kgYou would need 300+ hp

You suggest he 'saves' by buying a £5k BMW X5 4.4I V8 PETROL SPORT 5DR AUTO 2002? Lol. Save what exactly? Certainly not money.

And re your 300+hp comment - torque is far more important than bhp when towing heavy loads. You wouldn't need anywhere near 300bhp.

Late edit: mutts, I just noticed your comment about not liking diesels. I'd urge you to reconsider. If you took the BMW X5 suggestion earlier as an example, a 4.4l V8 towing your load would be staggeringly expensive on petrol. I'm talking low teens mpg here. Really.

deek72

You suggest he 'saves' by buying a £5k BMW X5 4.4I V8 PETROL SPORT 5DR … You suggest he 'saves' by buying a £5k BMW X5 4.4I V8 PETROL SPORT 5DR AUTO 2002? Lol. Save what exactly? Certainly not money.And re your 300+hp comment - torque is far more important that bhp when towing heavy loads. You wouldn't need anywhere near 300bhp.

i think 'save' is not the right word. he means if i have a smaller budget.

i am not a big fan of german cars as they are expensive to maintain although of course they are great cars but not value for money.
deek72

Late edit: mutts, I just noticed your comment about not liking diesels. … Late edit: mutts, I just noticed your comment about not liking diesels. I'd urge you to reconsider. If you took the BMW X5 suggestion earlier as an example, a 4.4l V8 towing your load would be staggeringly expensive on petrol. I'm talking low teens mpg here. Really.

diesel prices are quite expensive now. are you sure it would still be cheaper to pull a caravan than petrol?

we will probably tow the caravan in the UK and only in the summer so possibly no more than 6 or 7 times of use each year. the car will be used for the rest of the year without the caravan so it is quite a lot to put up with for the noise and the lack of acceleration in comparison to a petrol car.

but of course i would consider it if it stacks up against the other options.
deek72

Late edit: mutts, I just noticed your comment about not liking diesels. … Late edit: mutts, I just noticed your comment about not liking diesels. I'd urge you to reconsider. If you took the BMW X5 suggestion earlier as an example, a 4.4l V8 towing your load would be staggeringly expensive on petrol. I'm talking low teens mpg here. Really.

mutley1

i think 'save' is not the right word. he means if i have a smaller … i think 'save' is not the right word. he means if i have a smaller budget.

I'm positive. The extra torque from a diesel makes it easier too. A lot depends on what your budget is obviously but deisels have come on a hell of a lot in recent years. They don't make smokey, noisy ones now
If my car could carry 7 people I'm convinced 100% that it would be up to the job. It's 170bhp and without the caravan I get 40mpg around town and 0-60 in 8.8 sec.

You would need an enormous budget for a 10 year old BMW V8. I mean really ENORMOUS.

I suggest you test drive a modern diesel....they don't sound agricultural like they used to.
slamdunkin

I suggest you test drive a modern diesel....they don't sound agricultural … I suggest you test drive a modern diesel....they don't sound agricultural like they used to.

i will certainly try one out slamdunkin now that you have said this. my comparison is based on 2 mercedes i had 10 years ago.

one was a 2.8L petrol and one was a 3.0L turbo boost diesel. they were around the same age and the petrol, although had a smaller engine size was more powerful than the bigger engine turbo diesel and i found i paid more in fuel for the diesel in comparison to the petrol car.

the petrol car was superb and you could not hear the engine when you are driving whereas the diesel sounded like i was driving a tractor which just spoilt to whole mercedes experience.
mutley1

i will certainly try one out slamdunkin now that you have said this. my … i will certainly try one out slamdunkin now that you have said this. my comparison is based on 2 mercedes i had 10 years ago.one was a 2.8L petrol and one was a 3.0L turbo boost diesel. they were around the same age and the petrol, although had a smaller engine size was more powerful than the bigger engine turbo diesel and i found i paid more in fuel for the diesel in comparison to the petrol car.the petrol car was superb and you could not hear the engine when you are driving whereas the diesel sounded like i was driving a tractor which just spoilt to whole mercedes experience.

When you say 'more powerful' are you sure you don't mean faster? There's a big difference. Like I said earlier, torque is of greater significance than power or speed when towing.

What's you caravan again? I can't find the thread where you posted the pic.

And does it really HAVE to be a 7 seater?

deek72

When you say 'more powerful' are you sure you don't mean faster? There's … When you say 'more powerful' are you sure you don't mean faster? There's a big difference. Like I said earlier, torque is of greater significance than power or speed when towing.

yes, faster acceleration. i don't drive very fast but i like to accelerate from a stationery position or when i need it to overtake and the petrol car went like there's no tomorrow when i pressed the pedal whereas the diesel did also accelerate quickly but no where near as fast as the petrol engine.

Are you getting my point about torque mutters? Here's a basic explanation http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/what-makes-a-tow-car/217458

A snippet:

Good towing vehicles generate torque low down and deliver a consistent … Good towing vehicles generate torque low down and deliver a consistent pulling power throughout the rev range. Diesel engines generally perform well, because they have this characteristic without needing to be too thirsty. Large petrol engines, such as a 4.0-litre V8, can tow well, but fuel consumption is far higher.

deek72

What's you caravan again? I can't find the thread where you posted the … What's you caravan again? I can't find the thread where you posted the pic.And does it really HAVE to be a 7 seater?

we have moved on since that post as we went to see some caravans yesterday and fell in love with the elddis avante 574 and so we want either this or something similar which our current zafira can't pull. it can only pull up to 1300kg.

below is the spec details for the caravan we are looking at.
derbycaravancentre.com/_ne…574
Kia Sorento , Freelander 2, and ford s max all worth looking at
Does the car really need to be a 7 seater?
deek72

Are you getting my point about torque mutters? Here's a basic explanation … Are you getting my point about torque mutters? Here's a basic explanation http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/what-makes-a-tow-car/217458A snippet:

yes, i know what you mean about the torque.
we need a 7 seater as we sometimes take my parents and my brother to the seaside, restaurants etc and we don't want to leave the dog behind so he sits in the back seats. as my brother is ill, sometimes a nurse has to come with him.
whats you budget butley
slamdunkin

whats you mudget butley

X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants