People putting no parking signs outside their houses ?

Found 7th Dec 2017
So on a main road near me there and several slip roads set back off the road. On one of these someone has put "residents only parking "signs up all the way along , probably about 5 cars in length.

There is no markings in the road , you do not get a ticket for parking there but some of the residents have taken it upon themselves to run out and give a load of abuse to anyone parking there. These people ALL have drives ways .

The other day my husband parked there and got screamed at by a man claiming he owned the land etc .
Seems a bloody nerve to me...
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Slip roads you say? How do you know they don't own it?
we got people doing that where I live. home made signs in the window. no legal basis for it, no official signs etc but lots of houses have it. joke to be honest. some people have their own disabled signs in the window, with the official disability sign but its not official.
Shengis5 m ago

Because the street sign would say unadopted or will say its a private road. Pretty obvious to the driver if it says that..
Edited by: "winifer" 7th Dec 2017
OP, get in touch with the Local Council, clarify if its public road or not. if its public, at least you know where you stand in terms of parking and just reply you've phoned the council, its a public road.
winifer1 m ago

Because the street sign would say unadopted. Pretty obvious to the driver …Because the street sign would say unadopted. Pretty obvious to the driver if it says that..

Not sure what you mean, not sure what the op refers to as a 'slip road' either lol.
On the other hand, how would it be if it was outside your own house? Blocked roads and pavements. Obstructed free movement of traffic. Made it into a council estate.

No so nervy then at a guess.

It used to happen round here. We got onto our local council and they painted single yellow 2 hours in 4 zones. Cost the council over £65,000 - due to expensive outsourced contracts. But worth it.
Shengis22 m ago

Beacuse there are other slip roads all along the road and none of them are privately owned so I'd find it odd for just this one to be.
ccnp13 m ago

On the other hand, how would it be if it was outside your own house? …On the other hand, how would it be if it was outside your own house? Blocked roads and pavements. Obstructed free movement of traffic. Made it into a council estate. No so nervy then at a guess.It used to happen round here. We got onto our local council and they painted single yellow 2 hours in 4 zones. Cost the council over £65,000 - due to expensive outsourced contracts. But worth it.

Well of course , in a perfect word nobody would ever park outside someone else's house but that's never going to happen. I have it myself
Taylor053 m ago

Beacuse there are other slip roads all along the road and none of them are …Beacuse there are other slip roads all along the road and none of them are privately owned so I'd find it odd for just this one to be.

How do you know the others aren't privately owned? Maybe the owners just don't care lol.

What is your definition of a slip road? Would be easier if you posted a google streetview
What I'm saying is that just because someone puts a sign outside their house does not mean it holds any weight ? I am pretty much certain it's public highway .
These houses also all have drives so it seems like bullying tactics used by a few residents to take ownership of the road outside their homes.
Taylor056 m ago

What I'm saying is that just because someone puts a sign outside their …What I'm saying is that just because someone puts a sign outside their house does not mean it holds any weight ? I am pretty much certain it's public highway .These houses also all have drives so it seems like bullying tactics used by a few residents to take ownership of the road outside their homes.

I agree about the signs, if its LA land then theres no legal basis. Does seem like you've got drive envy though
The problem is you run the risk of 'someone' damaging your carwhilst you leave it there. there was story in the papers about residents doing that to cars from people who used to park when going to the airport. I mean so long as you are not blocking anyone, then a public road is a public road.

some streets where I live people will put cones, or bins to save a space on the public road.
Unless its a private road there's nothing they can do , you pay your road tax so you can park anywhere as long as you follow the highways code of course just be careful that nobody damages your car as ive seen this happen before.I have a issue like this near me with one lady telling me not to park here ,I just ignore her but also try to avoid her lol as its limited parking and if I don't get a spot its next street up.
EN1GMA5 m ago

The problem is you run the risk of 'someone' damaging your carwhilst you …The problem is you run the risk of 'someone' damaging your carwhilst you leave it there. there was story in the papers about residents doing that to cars from people who used to park when going to the airport. I mean so long as you are not blocking anyone, then a public road is a public road. some streets where I live people will put cones, or bins to save a space on the public road.

Where my friend lives is a hospital and all the roads around there used to have staff park there cars on there for free and take a short cut though a street to a public gate to get to hospital , its now permit only on thise streets and the residents have blocked the gate to the hospital grounds with a lock with a key which im sure they cant do lol.
Private roads are more common these days, my dad used to live on one and there was no sign saying private road or any other indication. It came about because the houses were on a narrow plot. Too narrow for a double row of houses, but just wide enough for a single row and an access drive to them all. It's a glorified shared driveway really, but looks like a road.

The reason it's more common is that houses with large plots get knocked down and a row of smaller houses gets built with the access road along the side. The council won't adopt the road, so it's a private road. Clearly the highway authority have no interest in installing signs such as private road, so it's left to the home owners if they want to.
I
Shengis31 m ago

I agree about the signs, if its LA land then theres no legal basis. Does …I agree about the signs, if its LA land then theres no legal basis. Does seem like you've got drive envy though

Every home on my estate had off-street parking for 2 cars and the deeds state "there should be no on-street parking but if you have visitors there are lay-bys around the estate for additional parking.

Guess how many ignore this and turn their parking area into extended property/conservatory etc, guess how many park on the road (including Turning Area - Do Not Obstruct/Keep Clear), guess how many park on the pavement and park so awkwardly that people with prams and mobility scooters have to use the road to move around...

Guess how many lay-bys are actively used

And the police, the council and the estate committee do absolutely nothing

As for public roads (and OP's term slip roads) - I'm guessing they mean dropped kerb onto drive/hard standing

If yes then any person has a right of access to the road via their council approved dropped kerb from their drive and can call the police to enforce the law... that said the police will take about 4 hours, if not longer, to send someone to start the process.
But you do not have any rights to access your drive, via the council approved dropped kerb, from the road - so if you do get to move your car off the drive onto the public road, say to go to work, when you return you cannot call the police as they have no authority.

Nobody, except the council, can put up legal signs to restrict parking yet when they do most signs are advisory and unenforceable because of lack of resources.

It's getting worse (not going to drag on the reasons why...that's a different and well covered subject) and the only people who are winners are the obnoxious, uncaring, unneighbourly thugs who've just moved in or own the road.

If you are meek, respecting and/or law abiding neighbour you are being s*** on from 35,000ft and nobody cares
The person across the street from us has written about 5 notes and left them on our cars calling us disgraceful because she has OWNED her house for 20 years whereas we only RENT and shouldnt be parking outside her house. She has never owned a car though.
Edited by: "murtgurge" 7th Dec 2017
We have this near us and nobody takes any notice , we never park on the road and always in our drive so never affects us
They have no right if it's a public road so the signs are polite notices and tbh laughable
I'd be asking who owns the wall at the front of their property this unofficial sign is bolted to
murtgurge28 m ago

The person across the street from us has written about 5 notes and left …The person across the street from us has written about 5 notes and left them on our cars calling us disgraceful because she has OWNED her house for 20 years whereas we only RENT and shouldnt be parking outside her house. She has never owned a car though.

Sounds like a good You Tube video you should produce.
Buy her a toy car for Christmas and deliver it to her door. Whilst videoing the whole encounter. Both for your safety and viewing enjoyment
I'd get a few stickers for my car saying there are cameras pointed at it. Park where you want and no one will touch it.
cossy34 h, 1 m ago

I'd get a few stickers for my car saying there are cameras pointed at it. …I'd get a few stickers for my car saying there are cameras pointed at it. Park where you want and no one will touch it.

I'd rather put stickers over the residents parking signs
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions