people who bought the iPhone 11/iPhone pro from eBay currys “possible scam”

Posted 20th Oct
I suggest you check where your payment went as people are reporting it’s gone to

Shuel Rehman Salique

Apparently curry’s eBay account has been hacked and there main page redirects you to a unsecured fake page where it asks for you to login to your eBay account.

I would change your eBay password if you have purchased any iPhone from last night !!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Look what Currys just mailed me...

We are writing regarding your recent purchase made through the Currys PC World eBay store on 19th October 2019.

As you may be aware, there was an issue with your order last weekend. While the issue has now been resolved, it has meant that, due to reasons outside our control, we have not received the payment from PayPal for your order and are unable to fulfil this.

PayPal have told us they are processing a full refund into your account, and that this should be completed within 10 working days. They have advised if you have not received your refund within the timescale stated above, please raise an ‘item not received’ case via your PayPal account. 

While we don’t host this website ourselves and aren’t able to assist with the refund, we would like to offer you the below Currys PC World voucher for £50.00 for the experience you have had. This can be used in one of our stores or online at Currys.co.uk and we hope you can put it towards a future purchase with us. 
I’m in the same boat.

Purchased an open box IPad Pro for my son’s birthday. Got a text from Paypal asking me to confirm I’d sent a payment of £408 to this Shuel character. Thought the name was odd so checked my Paypal account. The transaction showed the seller as ‘Shuel Rehman Salique (Currys_PC world)’ so assumed this was the staff member who administered things at Curry’s end, so confirmed I’d made the payment.

I subsequently got an order confirmation and Currys even left me some positive feedback. However the item didn’t get despatched and as the delivery eta has now passed I went into my ebay account tonight and clicked ‘item not received’. At which point I got a message to say that there was possible account fraud and I should check the Paypal resolution centre for details. Seems someone has disputed the payment and eBay are waiting for a response from the seller...which seller i’m not sure!

The annoying thing is that I have had absolutely no contact from eBay, Paypal or Currys to date so this came as a bit of a shock. I have no idea where my cash is and it doesn’t look like the iPad will materialise. You would think that when they suspect that fraudulent activity has occurred they would at least warn the affected parties. Truly awful.

Thanks to this thread I at least have an inkling of what has gone down.
Edited by: "JF53" 24th Oct
I raised a case with the ICO yesterday and have been in contact with a journalist. I’ve shared a complete dossier of evidence showing the fake eBay login url, how the hacker updated the PayPal address to @tehtechguys.com (notice the spelling of ‘the’) and the various correspondence I’ve had with eBay, PayPal and PCWorld.

Fingers crossed someone at some point will have to raise their hand and admit they were at fault
249 Comments
As a seller, I’ve never been sent my buyers passwords
choccie3220/10/2019 01:17

As a seller, I’ve never been sent my buyers passwords

The link took you to a page where you had to enter your details to login to eBay
Edited by: "ashmac" 20th Oct
Was this just a scam email thing or related to a deal posted on here?
jamie1520/10/2019 01:59

Was this just a scam email thing or related to a deal posted on here?

A deal posted on here they have all been removed baring one
ashmac20/10/2019 02:31

A deal posted on here they have all been removed baring one

I've checked it out. Threads shouldn't have been deleted IMO, just links removed and threads updated to reflect this information. Shocking that Currys have neglected to put any information about this on their sites and social media yet.
The items still available to purchase on eBay, how has it not been pulled yet?
JizzKid20/10/2019 04:11

The items still available to purchase on eBay, how has it not been pulled …The items still available to purchase on eBay, how has it not been pulled yet?

Given the time and the fact it is a Sunday, nobody appears to be awake at Dixons Carphone HQ. In the morning, they will probably notice a drop in sales to £0 at eBay and notice something is up.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Oct
By the looks of it:

'Suhel Rahman Salique' has managed to access Currys' ebay account, and change the paypal payment email to 'paypal.newark@tehtechguys.com'.
Then dropped the prices of the iPhones by a few hundred pounds, anticipitating them to sell like hot cakes at that price.
and unsuspecting ebay customers have about ~70 phones thinking it from currys........
I purchased mine direct through the eBay app.

However PayPal have responded saying because I authorised this the case is closed. A phone call is coming definitely.
lee_12420/10/2019 09:20

I purchased mine direct through the eBay app. However PayPal have …I purchased mine direct through the eBay app. However PayPal have responded saying because I authorised this the case is closed. A phone call is coming definitely.

PayPal have said the same to me! I used PayPal Credit though so it’s there own money they are being flippant with
ant300020/10/2019 09:38

PayPal have said the same to me! I used PayPal Credit though so it’s there …PayPal have said the same to me! I used PayPal Credit though so it’s there own money they are being flippant with

You need to call them on 02039017000.

Explain the situation, no immediate rectification, however a 10 day turnaround. Action it as soon as you can guys!
From what I can figure, the purchase has gone through the Currys eBay store so will show on their systems etc meaning the purchase contract has been formed with Currys themselves.

Where the actual payment has gone though is a different matter! But I figure that is going to a headache for Currys to resolve
I've been quoted the 10 day TRT by Paypal
ant300020/10/2019 10:06

What is the 10 day trt

For refund to be processed if "seller" doesn't post item or respond
This post should be pinned so everybody sees it. Poor from HUKD.
MonkeyMan9020/10/2019 10:09

This post should be pinned so everybody sees it. Poor from HUKD.

Yes agreed. Also poor that one of the deals is still available with links still in place and nothing in the title or description to suggest a scam. There’s something to be learned here by HUKD about how to respond to this sort of thing.
ashmac20/10/2019 01:31

The link took you to a page where you had to enter your details to login …The link took you to a page where you had to enter your details to login to eBay

I wondered what was wrong couldn’t log in with my usual email going to change password now
Unbelievably PayPal have to wait for "seller" to respond despite my banging my head against the wall explaining it isn't the seller. I've been told I will have to wait the full 10 days.

I've asked for a manager's call back and I did say it seemed they are being complicit about a crime being committed. I don't know if manager will call me back or not but wait and see.

eBay just said it's a PayPal problem or log a item not received case in 4 days .

Curry's again didn't care ...

This is just unbelievable
fanpages20/10/2019 09:20

"iPhone 11 Pro Gold/Green 64GB - £899 @ eBay / Currys"

@magicjay1986@Planty720 it was good of the site to intervene in these threads but surely it would have made sense for all threads to stay, so that anyone who bought got to see they had been scammed. Makes no sense whatsoever deleting the threads people won’t search for the one above they probably haven’t even realised there is an issue.

second time in a week members are shown little respect by Pepper you have a responsibility on this even if you don’t like to think so.
eslick20/10/2019 13:03

@magicjay1986 @Planty720 it was good of the site to intervene in these …@magicjay1986 @Planty720 it was good of the site to intervene in these threads but surely it would have made sense for all threads to stay, so that anyone who bought got to see they had been scammed. Makes no sense whatsoever deleting the threads people won’t search for the one above they probably haven’t even realised there is an issue.second time in a week members are shown little respect by Pepper you have a responsibility on this even if you don’t like to think so.

My thoughts also, the 64gb thread was pulled so as far as the people who bought late last night know they went to bed not knowing what has happened and still wouldn’t know this morning.So I posted this hoping that they see it

@magicjay1986 @Planty720 it was good of the site to intervene in these …@magicjay1986 @Planty720 it was good of the site to intervene in these threads but surely it would have made sense for all threads to stay, so that anyone who bought got to see they had been scammed. Makes no sense whatsoever deleting the threads people won’t search for the one above they probably haven’t even realised there is an issue.second time in a week members are shown little respect by Pepper you have a responsibility on this even if you don’t like to think so.

I think HUKD has literally done the worst of both worlds here.

They've deleted a bunch of deals so those folk won't know. Then they've left one deal thread visible, but STILL have made no amendments to the description, title, or the two links present in that visible thread. So unless you happen to read quite far down into the comments, there's no actual sign that this is a fraud and unsuspecting HUKD'ers can still click the link and get scammed.

Really bad. The right thing to do is obvious, keep the threads open (expired of course) and edit the title and description to clearly show what's happened. Remove all links. Simple.
Edited by: "Mike_HUKD" 20th Oct
PayPal are saying my payment has gone through and the seller is no longer available
They're telling me that I've authorised the payment so they're not canceling or giving a refund
Mike_HUKD20/10/2019 13:34

I think HUKD has literally done the worst of both worlds here. They've …I think HUKD has literally done the worst of both worlds here. They've deleted a bunch of deals so those folk won't know. Then they've left one deal thread visible, but STILL have made no amendments to the description, title, or the two links present in that visible thread. So unless you happen to read quite far down into the comments, there's no actual sign that this is a fraud and unsuspecting HUKD'ers can still click the link and get scammed. Really bad. The right thing to do is obvious, keep the threads open (expired of course) and edit the title and description to clearly show what's happened. Remove all links. Simple.

That’s exactly what I did, clicked the link even though expired then decided to search Currys eBay myself on google. I wanted to see if other models were available and just assumed the deal was expired because that particular model was out of stock. I knew something was strange though, the way it jumped to a log in page which it never does and the fact it said unsecured in the address bar on safari. I then came back to the deal post and read all the comments. I agree a warning should definitely have been put in the title.
UA202320/10/2019 13:41

PayPal are saying my payment has gone through and the seller is no longer …PayPal are saying my payment has gone through and the seller is no longer available They're telling me that I've authorised the payment so they're not canceling or giving a refund

I think as you bought it on eBay, you're still covered. Yes you authorised the payment (although clearly is not your fault) so I can see why the a*******s are refusing to help, but ultimately eBay should refund you if the product you ordered doesn't turn up within 10 days. Regardless of who the money went to, you bought and paid via eBay and if no product ships eBay covers you. That's my understanding anyway.

Possibly because they just don’t care? Unless your comment is off topic or reported they probably sit around think what eglobal central deal can we make hot this week
MiniMissyMoo20/10/2019 13:54

That’s exactly what I did, clicked the link even though expired then d …That’s exactly what I did, clicked the link even though expired then decided to search Currys eBay myself on google. I wanted to see if other models were available and just assumed the deal was expired because that particular model was out of stock. I knew something was strange though, the way it jumped to a log in page which it never does and the fact it said unsecured in the address bar on safari. I then came back to the deal post and read all the comments. I agree a warning should definitely have been put in the title.

The site was secured when I checked. Padlock means nothing though. Site certificate was issued to the .icu domain for just 1 year and it was using HTTPS, all that means is connection between website and yourself is encrypted but it doesn't mean the website itself is legitimate.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Oct
jamie1520/10/2019 14:08

The site was secured when I checked. Padlock means nothing though. Site …The site was secured when I checked. Padlock means nothing though. Site certificate was issued to the .icu domain for just 1 year and it was using HTTPS, all that means is connection between website and yourself is encrypted but it doesn't mean the website itself is legitimate.

Yes I know what you mean but it was enough to make me suspicious and go back to read the comments. This was just before you commented on the op as I was up really late. You know way more than me on how websites work. I don’t think I would have even paid attention the the expired deal had I not have got a keyword alert. I just hope it all gets sorted for those who purchased soon.
jamie1520/10/2019 14:08

The site was secured when I checked. Padlock means nothing though. Site …The site was secured when I checked. Padlock means nothing though. Site certificate was issued to the .icu domain for just 1 year and it was using HTTPS, all that means is connection between website and yourself is encrypted but it doesn't mean the website itself is legitimate.

Extremely sneaky and malicious, literally never seen anything like this. All done from a taxi? Sounds like a whole criminal ring is behind this.
ant300020/10/2019 09:44

From what I can figure, the purchase has gone through the Currys eBay …From what I can figure, the purchase has gone through the Currys eBay store so will show on their systems etc meaning the purchase contract has been formed with Currys themselves. Where the actual payment has gone though is a different matter! But I figure that is going to a headache for Currys to resolve

Has it actually gone through eBay though? as if you click on the Currys eBay store it routes you to the fake site (even now at 14:17) :

38707050-vzHXy.jpg
Just stumbled on this as the thread from last night is missing for the 64GB iPhone 11 from Curry’s eBay.

I bought the 64GB iPhone 11 last night for £650 and used our 10% off voucher.

All payments went through and went to the DSG group.

We have a DPD tracking number and the parcel is showing as from Curry’s and being delivered tomorrow.

What’s gone on? What happened?
DarrenBolton20/10/2019 14:34

Just stumbled on this as the thread from last night is missing for the …Just stumbled on this as the thread from last night is missing for the 64GB iPhone 11 from Curry’s eBay. I bought the 64GB iPhone 11 last night for £650 and used our 10% off voucher. All payments went through and went to the DSG group. We have a DPD tracking number and the parcel is showing as from Curry’s and being delivered tomorrow. What’s gone on? What happened?

You may have got lucky. Later on the PayPal name was some random Asian guy so a different account.
DarrenBolton20/10/2019 14:34

Just stumbled on this as the thread from last night is missing for the …Just stumbled on this as the thread from last night is missing for the 64GB iPhone 11 from Curry’s eBay. I bought the 64GB iPhone 11 last night for £650 and used our 10% off voucher. All payments went through and went to the DSG group. We have a DPD tracking number and the parcel is showing as from Curry’s and being delivered tomorrow. What’s gone on? What happened?

How did you pay for the phone? Did you purchase through the website or the ebay app?
Edited by: "hitman2411" 20th Oct
PayPal with Credit Card

So I’m taking this as we got lucky? I didn’t use the link on the posted deal and search eBay directly via the app on my phone. Placed the order within about 5 minutes of it being posted.

Currys eBay store hacked, adjusts prices of items then changes payment destination... and I’ve ordered before that was changed?
Yea
looks like it
you go in between the price being changed and the payment Destination being altered !
DarrenBolton20/10/2019 14:57

PayPal with Credit CardSo I’m taking this as we got lucky? I didn’t use the …PayPal with Credit CardSo I’m taking this as we got lucky? I didn’t use the link on the posted deal and search eBay directly via the app on my phone. Placed the order within about 5 minutes of it being posted.Currys eBay store hacked, adjusts prices of items then changes payment destination... and I’ve ordered before that was changed?

How come the listing is still active @ £650? Surely PayPal would of contacted eBay to get this pulled so no transactions go through.

The way we deal with these is to remove the threads to stop more members possibly falling victim. We see quite a few hacked eBay accounts which we either remove from the boards as soon as we see them or they never make it out of moderation. This is our current process and it isn't new.

We need to come up with a way of ensuring members can get the information they need but it cannot be from a deal thread. This one was a little different in that quite a few deals were shared and it was a very established seller. We can put all the warnings in there but not only would Deals not be the place for this, there is still a possibility that members would go ahead and order.

We know we have a responsibility to our members and we'll always show respect so you saying that is incredibly odd. Our team act honestly at all times and need to make a call on something with the information they have to hand and weighing up the pros and the cons. I don't know why the very first thread remained but i'd guess it was because it was the first deal of this kind and it might have been expired so members could no longer order. I'll check in with the guys working last night.
Caught up with the team from last night and by the time it was known to them the deal was expired and they put a comment in the thread explaining the situation. Subsequent threads for this ebay account were removed from site.

I think in future it would just make sense to link the single thread with the Discussion thread (via a thread update so it is prominent). In an ideal world though the very first thread would not be live for any great length of time.
MiniMissyMoo20/10/2019 13:54

That’s exactly what I did, clicked the link even though expired then d …That’s exactly what I did, clicked the link even though expired then decided to search Currys eBay myself on google. I wanted to see if other models were available and just assumed the deal was expired because that particular model was out of stock. I knew something was strange though, the way it jumped to a log in page which it never does and the fact it said unsecured in the address bar on safari. I then came back to the deal post and read all the comments. I agree a warning should definitely have been put in the title.

Yep, some kind of warning to redirect to this thread would be the right thing to do and i've now updated the thread.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants