people who bought the iPhone 11/iPhone pro from eBay currys “possible scam”

Posted 20th Oct
I suggest you check where your payment went as people are reporting it’s gone to

Shuel Rehman Salique

Apparently curry’s eBay account has been hacked and there main page redirects you to a unsecured fake page where it asks for you to login to your eBay account.

I would change your eBay password if you have purchased any iPhone from last night !!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Look what Currys just mailed me...

We are writing regarding your recent purchase made through the Currys PC World eBay store on 19th October 2019.

As you may be aware, there was an issue with your order last weekend. While the issue has now been resolved, it has meant that, due to reasons outside our control, we have not received the payment from PayPal for your order and are unable to fulfil this.

PayPal have told us they are processing a full refund into your account, and that this should be completed within 10 working days. They have advised if you have not received your refund within the timescale stated above, please raise an ‘item not received’ case via your PayPal account. 

While we don’t host this website ourselves and aren’t able to assist with the refund, we would like to offer you the below Currys PC World voucher for £50.00 for the experience you have had. This can be used in one of our stores or online at Currys.co.uk and we hope you can put it towards a future purchase with us. 
I’m in the same boat.

Purchased an open box IPad Pro for my son’s birthday. Got a text from Paypal asking me to confirm I’d sent a payment of £408 to this Shuel character. Thought the name was odd so checked my Paypal account. The transaction showed the seller as ‘Shuel Rehman Salique (Currys_PC world)’ so assumed this was the staff member who administered things at Curry’s end, so confirmed I’d made the payment.

I subsequently got an order confirmation and Currys even left me some positive feedback. However the item didn’t get despatched and as the delivery eta has now passed I went into my ebay account tonight and clicked ‘item not received’. At which point I got a message to say that there was possible account fraud and I should check the Paypal resolution centre for details. Seems someone has disputed the payment and eBay are waiting for a response from the seller...which seller i’m not sure!

The annoying thing is that I have had absolutely no contact from eBay, Paypal or Currys to date so this came as a bit of a shock. I have no idea where my cash is and it doesn’t look like the iPad will materialise. You would think that when they suspect that fraudulent activity has occurred they would at least warn the affected parties. Truly awful.

Thanks to this thread I at least have an inkling of what has gone down.
Edited by: "JF53" 24th Oct
I raised a case with the ICO yesterday and have been in contact with a journalist. I’ve shared a complete dossier of evidence showing the fake eBay login url, how the hacker updated the PayPal address to @tehtechguys.com (notice the spelling of ‘the’) and the various correspondence I’ve had with eBay, PayPal and PCWorld.

Fingers crossed someone at some point will have to raise their hand and admit they were at fault
253 Comments
magicjay198620/10/2019 15:18

The way we deal with these is to remove the threads to stop more members …The way we deal with these is to remove the threads to stop more members possibly falling victim. We see quite a few hacked eBay accounts which we either remove from the boards as soon as we see them or they never make it out of moderation. This is our current process and it isn't new. We need to come up with a way of ensuring members can get the information they need but it cannot be from a deal thread. This one was a little different in that quite a few deals were shared and it was a very established seller. We can put all the warnings in there but not only would Deals not be the place for this, there is still a possibility that members would go ahead and order. We know we have a responsibility to our members and we'll always show respect so you saying that is incredibly odd. Our team act honestly at all times and need to make a call on something with the information they have to hand and weighing up the pros and the cons. I don't know why the very first thread remained but i'd guess it was because it was the first deal of this kind and it might have been expired so members could no longer order. I'll check in with the guys working last night.

Their account is still hacked, if you go to the eBay site and click on their store name it still attempts to redirect to the other address

38707894-fxdU9.jpg
toonarmani20/10/2019 16:13

Their account is still hacked, if you go to the eBay site and click on …Their account is still hacked, if you go to the eBay site and click on their store name it still attempts to redirect to the other address[Image]

We've been removing all the posts throughout today too (and the most recent ones from yesterday). Crazy its taking so long for them to get this sorted.

The way we deal with these is to remove the threads to stop more members …The way we deal with these is to remove the threads to stop more members possibly falling victim. We see quite a few hacked eBay accounts which we either remove from the boards as soon as we see them or they never make it out of moderation. This is our current process and it isn't new. We need to come up with a way of ensuring members can get the information they need but it cannot be from a deal thread. This one was a little different in that quite a few deals were shared and it was a very established seller. We can put all the warnings in there but not only would Deals not be the place for this, there is still a possibility that members would go ahead and order. We know we have a responsibility to our members and we'll always show respect so you saying that is incredibly odd. Our team act honestly at all times and need to make a call on something with the information they have to hand and weighing up the pros and the cons. I don't know why the very first thread remained but i'd guess it was because it was the first deal of this kind and it might have been expired so members could no longer order. I'll check in with the guys working last night.

please consider reopening all threads and linking them to here if necessary as said not everyone is clever enough to find the single post they will click their comments see it’s gone and have no clue what has happened until their phone does not come through.

Why not send a group WhatsApp message? It won't reach everyone but it would surely help.
Would someone be as good to sum up what has happened here(y)
DEALS4EVA20/10/2019 17:55

Would someone be as good to sum up what has happened here(y)

There were a series of iPhone 11 deals that became available last night on the Currys PC World eBay store.

Following a bit of a frenzy someone raised a concerns that their PayPal showed the payment recipient as eBay - Shuel Rehman Salique (currys_pcworld). Also, when purchasing their was some strange login behaviour and it was also spotted that the Currys PC world store was forwarding to an odd url

A few people have since attempted to raise there concerns with eBay, Currys, PayPal with mixed response however the Currys eBay store still continues to be behaving a bit strangely.

i think the general consensus is that Currys eBay has been hacked
Yeah, cause this is Pepper's fault...
eslick20/10/2019 18:51

Comment deleted

Hey i think ive just fell for thr trap with my payment going to the wrong person? Whats going on with it any news on this??!!
eslick20/10/2019 18:52

Comment deleted

My purchase history on the legit eBay website shows a purchase with Currys eBay with links back to their profile / feedback etc?

What page is it in the other thread that doesn’t show feedback
ant300020/10/2019 19:09

My purchase history on the legit eBay website shows a purchase with Currys …My purchase history on the legit eBay website shows a purchase with Currys eBay with links back to their profile / feedback etc?What page is it in the other thread that doesn’t show feedback

This is the same for me and its super worrying
ismailc1200020/10/2019 19:15

This is the same for me and its super worrying

I think it’s encouraging that you have a purchase history with the legit eBay website as it shows they have a record of the transaction and as such the payment has been processed through legit eBay rather than some website pretending to be eBay.
toonarmani20/10/2019 14:17

Has it actually gone through eBay though? as if you click on the Currys …Has it actually gone through eBay though? as if you click on the Currys eBay store it routes you to the fake site (even now at 14:17) :[Image]

All payments would have gone through eBay from what I've seen, just PayPal account details changed. The phishing site only grabs sign in information. Oddly though, I created a temp account, signed in, and then clicked through and it automatically signed in (didn't reprompt for username/password) which I found even more weird.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Oct
ant300020/10/2019 19:20

I think it’s encouraging that you have a purchase history with the legit e …I think it’s encouraging that you have a purchase history with the legit eBay website as it shows they have a record of the transaction and as such the payment has been processed through legit eBay rather than some website pretending to be eBay.

Absolutely, buyer protection means when the phone never turns up you get a refund regardless
There is the ‘slim’ possibility that Currys eBay have made attempts to updated their eBay account themselves and as a result have accidentally misconfigured their settings? I think it’s probably unlikely though but still can’t be fully ruled out based on Currys lack of concern despite several attempts to make them aware of a possible hack. You would have also thought that if payments are being redirected to an account which is not their own then their computers systems would have alerted them? Especially if on Saturday they were making 10’s of thousands of pounds and the n on Sunday £0
Edited by: "ant3000" 20th Oct
ant300020/10/2019 19:09

My purchase history on the legit eBay website shows a purchase with Currys …My purchase history on the legit eBay website shows a purchase with Currys eBay with links back to their profile / feedback etc?What page is it in the other thread that doesn’t show feedback

The Curry’s page on safari on iPad does not show the feedback, but oddly does on iPhone must be something wrong with the page, I have deleted my comment.

eayragt20/10/2019 18:55

Yeah, cause this is Pepper's fault...

Pepper has a responsibility to its members, deleting threads where people had bought from that thread and commented is not being responsible for the same reason I said earlier. The site has left incorrect threads before when it screwed up an example of an eBay thread which was never a deal got expired and left because it had lots of discussions but a number of threads where people will have to fight for their money have been deleted.

That is Peppers fault and not a good way of looking after it’s members no matter how much the site likes your comment. And I went and deleted the wrong comment but it still stands if this makes the press Pepper will look bad from this that’s for sure.
@magicjay1986
Edited by: "eslick" 20th Oct
eslick20/10/2019 20:03

The Curry’s page on safari on iPad does not show the feedback, but oddly d …The Curry’s page on safari on iPad does not show the feedback, but oddly does on iPhone must be something wrong with the page, I have deleted my comment.Pepper has a responsibility to its members, deleting threads where people had bought from that thread and commented is not being responsible for the same reason I said earlier. The site has left incorrect threads before when it screwed up an example of an eBay thread which was never a deal got expired and left because it had lots of discussions but a number of threads where people will have to fight for their money have been deleted. That is Peppers fault and not a good way of looking after it’s members no matter how much the site likes your comment. And I went and deleted the wrong comment but it still stands if this makes the press Pepper will look bad from this that’s for sure.@magicjay1986

From your previous comments, you have an agenda against Pepper.

hotukdeals.com/com…559

Please do not hijack this thread to further your agenda. There are a lot of worried people and we want this resolved soon. Axe grinding can wait.
tempt20/10/2019 20:18

From your previous comments, you have an agenda against Pepper. …From your previous comments, you have an agenda against Pepper. https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/38680559Please do not hijack this thread to further your agenda. There are a lot of worried people and we want this resolved soon. Axe grinding can wait.

No agenda here, just for what’s right for all of us consumers using this site, if you think someone has an agenda with who has been on here many many times a day for over 12 years I would hate to think what you think about other members.

Read the whole thread you linked to, and understand what was being written that day and maybe you might understand why that comment was made.
eslick20/10/2019 20:27

No agenda here, just for what’s right for all of us consumers using this s …No agenda here, just for what’s right for all of us consumers using this site, if you think someone has an agenda with who has been on here many many times a day for over 12 years I would hate to think what you think about other members. Read the whole thread you linked to, and understand what was being written that day and maybe you might understand why that comment was made.

Everyone has a duty to their customers / users from ebay, currys to the various search engines which link to currys ebay shop. They've sat there doing nothing all weekend, whereas HUKD stepped in immediately to limit the damage by moderating those duplicate deals. Those phones have sold in their hundreds even after the threads were deleted, it would've been worse if the threads were kept alive.

I do not want to link to that item, but ebay/curry inaction is more damaging than HUKD. All those 'phoney' sales haven't been stopped despite users alerting them.

38709995-JWnpE.jpg
Edited by: "tempt" 20th Oct
tempt20/10/2019 20:37

Everyone has a duty to their customers / users from ebay, currys to the …Everyone has a duty to their customers / users from ebay, currys to the various search engines which link to currys ebay shop. They've sat there doing nothing all weekend, whereas HUKD stepped in immediately to limit the damage by moderating those duplicate deals. Those phones have sold in their hundreds even after the threads were deleted, it would've been worse if the threads were kept alive.

Never said keep it alive, just not delete it, not everyone will search for another deal to find the expired thread and many will be waiting for their phones not even realising it’s not coming. If the thread was still there there they would have a better chance of finding out as has been said on this thread not just by me.

But no one seems to care just like the Sainsbury’s deal which the site defended even though only a handful got the deal and the site was told it was not valid.

love the site the way they handled those two deals have not been helpful.

your recent added comment says it all, the live thread has how many sales.....13 and I am sure when I went to bed last night the ones deleted which I was answering questions on a discount had higher heat and more comments.

the deals should never been deleted thanks for confirming it with your screenshot
eslick20/10/2019 20:50

Never said keep it alive, just not delete it, not everyone will search for …Never said keep it alive, just not delete it, not everyone will search for another deal to find the expired thread and many will be waiting for their phones not even realising it’s not coming. If the thread was still there there they would have a better chance of finding out as has been said on this thread not just by me. But no one seems to care just like the Sainsbury’s deal which the site defended even though only a handful got the deal and the site was told it was not valid. love the site the way they handled those two deals have not been helpful. your recent added comment says it all, the live thread has how many sales.....13 and I am sure when I went to bed last night the ones deleted which I was answering questions on a discount had higher heat and more comments.the deals should never been deleted thanks for confirming it with your screenshot

Did you pay attention to the date of purchase on that screenshot? They are all from today and the deal was deleted last night.

If you see lookup that item and check the purchase history, only a handful were purchased during the time the deal was live. If it stayed on for longer, more HUKD users would've fallen victim.
Edited by: "tempt" 20th Oct
tempt20/10/2019 20:52

Did you pay attention to the date of purchase on that screenshot? They are …Did you pay attention to the date of purchase on that screenshot? They are all from today and the deal was deleted last night.If you see lookup that item and check the purchase history, only a handful were purchased during the time the deal was live. If it stayed on for longer, more HUKD users would've fallen victim.

I kept my eye on the sold amount on the curry eBay page ,I was on the deal as soon as it was posted

The 64gb on time of posting had 60
Sold, by the time the thread for 64gb was gone it said 70 had sold so about 10 people from
Here purchased the phone

It was late at night so not as many active users and most didn’t buy as they kept asking for the voucher code before they would buy it, buy this time the thread was gone
Edited by: "ashmac" 20th Oct
Just checked and wow I’m gob smacked that the scam is still live .

Someone is losing £100,000 s it’s been going 23 hours
Edited by: "ashmac" 20th Oct
tempt20/10/2019 20:52

Did you pay attention to the date of purchase on that screenshot? They are …Did you pay attention to the date of purchase on that screenshot? They are all from today and the deal was deleted last night.If you see lookup that item and check the purchase history, only a handful were purchased during the time the deal was live. If it stayed on for longer, more HUKD users would've fallen victim.

Can’t see the dates on my phone it’s too small Look there was about 5 threads last night all with lots of comments and lots of heat how many of those had sales no one knows because they are all gone now. That’s been the point of the complaint the other thread had 13 sales you can bet all 13 were bought by users of this site and one person bought 6. Multiple that by the deleted threads and it was many many more. And the active thread still had the links to the same items 2 of them and the faulty links even late morning and even later.

the site did well but in my mind and I bet many others could have done better. You might not agree but that’s the country we live in we are allowed to disagree, without having fingers pointed at each other.
ashmac20/10/2019 21:47

I kept my eye on the sold amount on the curry eBay page ,I was on the deal …I kept my eye on the sold amount on the curry eBay page ,I was on the deal as soon as it was posted The 64gb on time of posting had 60Sold, by the time the thread for 64gb was gone it said 70 had sold so about 10 people fromHere purchased the phone It was late at night so not as many active users and most didn’t buy as they kept asking for the voucher code before they would buy it, buy this time the thread was gone

If it wasn't deleted, it would've been a lot more than 10. Damage limitation worked and HUKD mods deserve credit for doing their job that late in the night. It's not fair to criticise them all the time.
tempt20/10/2019 21:52

If it wasn't deleted, it would've been a lot more than 10. Damage …If it wasn't deleted, it would've been a lot more than 10. Damage limitation worked and HUKD mods deserve credit for doing their job that late in the night. It's not fair to criticise them all the time.

You do realise you can delete data on the thread and add a warning just like they did on the other one, they can restate it but haven’t. Said already the site did a good thing, There will have been hundreds sold not just 10 that’s for sure and most from here, this started at 11 pm last night Curry’s probably got all of its traffic from here.

but someone just seems to be looking for an argument.

Have a great night, no doubt you will come back with more arguments but the site did well like all school reports they could have done better
ant300020/10/2019 18:17

There were a series of iPhone 11 deals that became available last night on …There were a series of iPhone 11 deals that became available last night on the Currys PC World eBay store.Following a bit of a frenzy someone raised a concerns that their PayPal showed the payment recipient as eBay - Shuel Rehman Salique (currys_pcworld). Also, when purchasing their was some strange login behaviour and it was also spotted that the Currys PC world store was forwarding to an odd urlA few people have since attempted to raise there concerns with eBay, Currys, PayPal with mixed response however the Currys eBay store still continues to be behaving a bit strangely.i think the general consensus is that Currys eBay has been hacked

Thank you
I've just received an email from currys/dpd saying my order will be delivered tomorrow??? I dont know how this possible considering no payments have been authorised on paypal or my credit card and that I notified nationwide to cancel anything on card but they have sent a dpd tracking no.

Cant believe how dumb I've been, seems I had a different credit card linked to ebay with Barclaycard, just logged on, transaction pending from "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail"
Edited by: "hitman2411" 21st Oct
hitman241121/10/2019 10:17

I've just received an email from currys/dpd saying my order will be …I've just received an email from currys/dpd saying my order will be delivered tomorrow??? I dont know how this possible considering no payments have been authorised on paypal or my credit card and that I notified nationwide to cancel anything on card but they have sent a dpd tracking no.Cant believe how dumb I've been, seems I had a different credit card linked to ebay with Barclaycard, just logged on, transaction pending from "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail"

Isn’t that a good thing? Surely if you get the phone?!
Received following from Curry's

Good Morning,

Thank you for your message.

We have been notified by eBay that there is an issue with the payment of your order due to an issue experienced by eBay concerning our store.

eBay have recommended that we advise you to take the following actions;
- Cancel your order
- Contact PayPal to ensure the refund of your payment.

Please be assured that eBay are continuing to investigate the issue and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kindest regards,

Currys PC World eBay Store
38713931-JDhmH.jpgWe’ve been following this thread as we also bought an Apple iPhone 11 from this link on Friday, I’m happy to report our phone has just delivered today
ClaireSouthall21/10/2019 12:42

[Image] We’ve been following this thread as we also bought an Apple iPhone …[Image] We’ve been following this thread as we also bought an Apple iPhone 11 from this link on Friday, I’m happy to report our phone has just delivered today

What version is that, and if u don't me asking how much did u pay
It’s the 64g was up for £650 but I had the 10% code so got it for £585
ClaireSouthall21/10/2019 13:21

It’s the 64g was up for £650 but I had the 10% code so got it for £585

Thanks That's the exact same as what I ordered, fingers crossed it shows up
Looks like it might be worthwhile sitting tight to see if orders will be fulfilled as it would seem the orders have been processed through Currys systems even though we suspect they may not have actually received payment.

If it does transpire that the Currys eBay store was hacked then it’ll be for Currys and eBay to resolve it between themselves
ant300021/10/2019 13:35

Looks like it might be worthwhile sitting tight to see if orders will be …Looks like it might be worthwhile sitting tight to see if orders will be fulfilled as it would seem the orders have been processed through Currys systems even though we suspect they may not have actually received payment.If it does transpire that the Currys eBay store was hacked then it’ll be for Currys and eBay to resolve it between themselves

If this is the case then being honest definitely doesn't pay
hitman241121/10/2019 13:31

Thanks That's the exact same as what I ordered, fingers crossed it …Thanks That's the exact same as what I ordered, fingers crossed it shows up

Fingers crossed mate!
ant300021/10/2019 13:35

Looks like it might be worthwhile sitting tight to see if orders will be …Looks like it might be worthwhile sitting tight to see if orders will be fulfilled as it would seem the orders have been processed through Currys systems even though we suspect they may not have actually received payment.If it does transpire that the Currys eBay store was hacked then it’ll be for Currys and eBay to resolve it between themselves

But my card payment showing against "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail" not Shuel Rehman Salique as others have mentioned
hitman241121/10/2019 13:45

But my card payment showing against "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail" not Shuel …But my card payment showing against "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail" not Shuel Rehman Salique as others have mentioned

Is that within your PayPal account or on your card provider account
Edited by: "ant3000" 21st Oct
ant300021/10/2019 13:50

Is that within your PayPal account or on your card provider

Nothing showing in paypal account for transaction at all. I paid directly in ebay using credit card, my barclaycard online it showing payment as "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail"
hitman241121/10/2019 13:52

Nothing showing in paypal account for transaction at all. I paid directly …Nothing showing in paypal account for transaction at all. I paid directly in ebay using credit card, my barclaycard online it showing payment as "Paypal *ebay Dsgretail"

it’s possible that the “Shuel...” could turn out to be a bit of a red herring and might just be the reference that PayPal have for the Currys eBay Account? That was the explanation that eBay gave me when I enquired and they felt assured that the payment had been received by the account associated with the Currys eBay store listing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants