People's views on saving,,,,

Found 12th Aug
what do you ok think is the best option to put savings in? interest rates are ridiculously low but I'm not sure where to try other than a ISA??
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Pay it off your mortgage if you have one, or buy some premium bonds
Personally I still use my cash ISA , although savings rates are pitiful at the moment whatever you put in will always gain interest tax free in future years (and who knows interest rates may eventually rise again )

My favourite investment for the past 20 odd years (not a recommendation !) is shares that pay a 5% + dividend ,and have done for many years . Not the dodgy ones but I have - BP ,Halfords, Royal Dutch Shell, Royal Mail , Rio Tinto , Vodafone ,BT , Legal and General , Standard Life and a few more . All have paid me 5% plus per annum in dividends and gained in value over the last 20 years .

Maybe not for everyone but held within an ISA (and investing in solid companies unlikely to go kaput) its been a good strategy for me for many years .
Put it all on black and hope for the best
Groovii.D38 m ago

Pay it off your mortgage if you have one, or buy some premium bonds

Seconded. Very little point to saving in banks and as for ISAs and that sort of thing or the suits get rich on them.
4TheMenyNotTheFew11 m ago

Seconded. Very little point to saving in banks and as for ISAs and that …Seconded. Very little point to saving in banks and as for ISAs and that sort of thing or the suits get rich on them.

Thirded (if that’s a word). Pay off your mortgage, any pay rises/increment rises you get put them into overpayments, it’s money you never had then watch your mortgage years fall and you’ll save thousands in interest. Once your mortgage free save save save.
cmdr_elito7 m ago

Thirded (if that’s a word). Pay off your mortgage, any pay rises/increment …Thirded (if that’s a word). Pay off your mortgage, any pay rises/increment rises you get put them into overpayments, it’s money you never had then watch your mortgage years fall and you’ll save thousands in interest. Once your mortgage free save save save.

Fourtheeeded,all on black then pay mortgage off if you have one ,if you don't, put it all on red.100% guarantee win.
Impossible to answer without more information.

What are you saving for?
What sum of money?
Life savings or regular savings from income?
Will you need access to the money in the short term or can it be left to grow indefinitely?
What is your attitude to risk?
Do you already have an emergency pot of money set aside?

The suggestions posted above could be brilliant or they could be terrible, depending on your circumstances.
Good points by Guzzle like to add that ISA is great for saving on tax on income and if you do not need your money then consider putting it into a Pension scheme where the government will top up any contributions you make depending on your tax circumstances.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants