Groups

13 Comments

what happens? Does it even know a CD has been inserted? Cheap CD's only last about 8 years before breaking down so hope that hasn't happened!

This should be in Misc as others might have better advice.

Anyway. You might find it difficult to do this. Try this first. See if it will open up on your DVD player or a friends PC. If it does, then the PC's CD/DVD player is at fault. If this fails you could buy a disc restorer from Maplin (it does work sometimes). There are professionals that will extract the images, but it will cost a lot of money.

PS. Try washing the disc in soppy water - smear washing-up liquid on it and wash it off. Make sure it is dry before trying again.

nikkib123;2409981

Thank you - I was not sure where to put this I will try what you have … Thank you - I was not sure where to put this I will try what you have suggested :thumbsup:

Don't use "soppy water" though, soapy water works better.

You can buy things that repair disks and as far as I know most/all Game stores have the service instore for ~£5

Might be worth a go to try and rescue them if all else fails?

Does the disc have a blue bottom? If so for Gods sake don't put it anywhere near water! If it is one of the older blue bottom discs, they were'nt designed to last and you are likely to have problems reading the disc, find somebody with a data recovery machine ( I have one if you can't find anybody local).
    If its the newer silver bottom discs, then its probably just your drive not liking the disc and might be ok in another drive.

Moved to misc forum, feedback is for HUKD issues only.

Banned

When yu recorded the CD did you finalise the recording enabling it to be read on all other pc's ?

If not a quick fix might be to try and remember which software package you used to record this then load that package to view the contents. A long shot, as I can hardly remember what I did last week

Banned

try on another machine. I have 3 pcs and if 1 pc cannot read the disk one of the others usually can.

did you check the data had been written correctly? I always Verify data backup disks before storing for posterity. Disks are a very unreliable crucial backup medium. Online is the way to go as many offer 5gb plus for free (encrypt the contents before uploading)

Do you have a old 4x DVD Rewriter?

I had some old discs that would not open so i tried my old Rewriter and it worked.

sounds like disc/die rot to me, alot of stuff i burned even 3 years ago i cant read now, let alone 8 years, i usually backup stuff on to 3 mediumn's now.

aScottishBloke;2410248

When yu recorded the CD did you finalise the recording enabling it to be … When yu recorded the CD did you finalise the recording enabling it to be read on all other pc's ?If not a quick fix might be to try and remember which software package you used to record this then load that package to view the contents. A long shot, as I can hardly remember what I did last week

that's interesting i never finalise my disc's as i usually want to add stuff to them later, they still work on my friends pc's when i take them around there houses.

finalising them just means they can't be written to again. You can still read them on any pc.

Banned

SunTzu;2411392

finalising them just means they can't be written to again. You can still … finalising them just means they can't be written to again. You can still read them on any pc.

I'm going back a few years now, but plenty of cd's written using some bundled software could only be read on a pc containing the same burning software unless 'finalisation' or similar settings were applied. Trust me came, across it may times, with the initial user always confused why they could apparently read the disc but some others couldn't,
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Foo Fighters O2 live stream?11
      2. Flight delay compensation614
      3. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)918
      4. Gaming PC Upgrade Help33

See more discussions