28 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Original Poster Banned

GAZUK;6992864

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/

already looked there hardly anything there mostly traders

lumoruk;6992879

already looked there hardly anything there mostly traders

What's wrong with traders? There are usually some real bargains on bikes on autotrader, can't check as I don't know your postcode.

Any local bike shops are a pretty good bet, they are struggling right now kingstwowheelcentre.co.uk/139…htm

have you any local motorbike shops, we found my sons 50cc ped that way as most shops have websites with for sale sections.

i read in another post you had a free ride, has it wet your appetite?

Original Poster Banned

GAZUK;6992924

http://www.bikesales.com.au/

that's an aussie link :thumbsup: repped you for the other suggestions cheers

lumoruk;6993043

thought I could find something cheaper online. Looking at the local … thought I could find something cheaper online. Looking at the local dealer the cheapest 2nd hand is £4k :roll:

That can't be right surely? Not even brand new 125's are that price. I had a hard time finding my 125, it needed a lot of patience although I did eventually end up with a bargain on one through ebay that due to it being incorrectly listed got no bids. I need to sell it on though, sadly despite it being quite new and in great condition I crashed it It's been repaired but cosmetically it's not quite the same.

All my family aren't being very supportive though.

I know how that feels, I ended up just having to hide it all after my CBT although I have finally decided to give up the riding.

John

lumoruk;6993043

thought I could find something cheaper online. Looking at the local … thought I could find something cheaper online. Looking at the local dealer the cheapest 2nd hand is £4k :roll:Yeah bloody loved it, though they kind of made out "see you soon" and was in the middle of blackbird leys (worst part of oxford). I'm just going to do the CBT ride for about a year maybe then take the standard test, ride for 2yrs on 125cc then move up from there.All my family aren't being very supportive though.

I can understand thier feelings, we were the same with our son,apprehensive as he's never been into or riden a bike, its not him i worry about its all the other idiots on the road, he did his CBT with a couple of guys who were superb taking him through everything & putting our minds at ease as well. He's been on his scooter for about a month now & loves it, we have bad weather at the mo so he takes the bus to college, but is dying to get back on his scooter.

good luck in finding one & safe motorbiking :thumbsup:

I bought and sold a 125 within the last three months. Spent £500 on one and sold for the same two months later. Was great for learning on. I bought from Gumtree, but joined loads of 'local' biker forums. All of them were very welcoming and had plenty of 125 only bikers.

Going to do the full test in March

I have recently been on the lookout as have just completed my DAS - I agree, there doesnt seem to be too much on the net for bike sales...found this site though which seemed to have a fair few bikes on it ukbike.com/
    As for me, a family member works in local triumph dealer so managed to get my bike of choice, a yellow Daytona 650, at a bargain price, and i know i am being looked after.....Pick it up saturday morning, cant wait!!!!

Friday Ads
    Autotrader
    Freeads
    Local papers - Classified section

Original Poster Banned

Johnmcl7;6993203

That can't be right surely? Not even brand new 125's are that price. I … That can't be right surely? Not even brand new 125's are that price. I had a hard time finding my 125, it needed a lot of patience although I did eventually end up with a bargain on one through ebay that due to it being incorrectly listed got no bids. I need to sell it on though, sadly despite it being quite new and in great condition I crashed it It's been repaired but cosmetically it's not quite the same. John

Would have had it off you, I don't care how it looks but Inverness is like 10+hrs driving :whistling:

yeah try to get an experienced biker with you to look over the bike and never buy without viewing it in person first

I think you've covered the main ones. You could try Used Bike guide but they don't have that many listed
    usedbikeguide.com/fre…asp
    Good luck with the bike buying.....

Original Poster Banned

Bit confused about the provisional license bit. I hold a post 2001 full car license which gives me entitlement to ride a moped upto 50cc. Do i need to apply for a provisional motor bike license?

Johnmcl7;6993203

I know how that feels, I ended up just having to hide it all after my CBT … I know how that feels, I ended up just having to hide it all after my CBT although I have finally decided to give up the riding.John

Ohh how come if you don't mind me asking? I know you love your bike/riding, but I suppose the time comes to hang up your helmet and gloves.

lumoruk;6996064

Bit confused about the provisional license bit. I hold a post 2001 full … Bit confused about the provisional license bit. I hold a post 2001 full car license which gives me entitlement to ride a moped upto 50cc. Do i need to apply for a provisional motor bike license?

Your full car licence automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement, up to 125cc with a maximum power output of 11kW (14.6bhp)

i thought you needed to do a cbt at least before being able to ride motorcycle regardless of your full driving docs

take your time picking a bike as well there are loads of good bargains even ask at a local cbt centre they will no doubt know of sales etc and the uk bikers fourm is an excellent place to start

Johnmcl7;6993203

I know how that feels, I ended up just having to hide it all after my CBT … I know how that feels, I ended up just having to hide it all after my CBT although I have finally decided to give up the riding.John

fireheaven;6996572

Ohh how come if you don't mind me asking? I know you love your … Ohh how come if you don't mind me asking? I know you love your bike/riding, but I suppose the time comes to hang up your helmet and gloves.

John - Didn't you have a very nice (stonkingly nice) black SV650 from brand new? I drooled when I saw the pics :-D

A word of warning - once bikes are in your blood they are very difficult to give up. I've been giving up for over 20 years but keeping having re-lapses.

I can understand where you are coming from though. All bikers know that one bad crash and we are dead or permanently crippled. We are extremely vulnerable - all we can do is ride sensibly and defensively and wear decent protective gear.........

fireheaven;6996572

Your full car licence automatically provides provisional motorcycle … Your full car licence automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement, up to 125cc with a maximum power output of 11kW (14.6bhp)

depends when you passed your test FH....

Since your only 22, you would have to sit a CBT ;-)

gari189;6998678

John - Didn't you have a very nice (stonkingly nice) black SV650 from … John - Didn't you have a very nice (stonkingly nice) black SV650 from brand new? I drooled when I saw the pics :-DA word of warning - once bikes are in your blood they are very difficult to give up. I've been giving up for over 20 years but keeping having re-lapses.I can understand where you are coming from though. All bikers know that one bad crash and we are dead or permanently crippled. We are extremely vulnerable - all we can do is ride sensibly and defensively and wear decent protective gear.........

Yeah I remember the pics of the bike too which is why I asked.

bazzaric;6998789

depends when you passed your test FH....Since your only 22, you would … depends when you passed your test FH....Since your only 22, you would have to sit a CBT ;-)

I wish I was blooming 22 :w00t:

Seriously though, I thought because he had his pre 2001 he would be ok but realise that's just to ride a 50cc moped :lol:

Lumoruk - all you need is here direct.gov.uk/en/…430

Original Poster Banned

fireheaven;6999065

Seriously though, I thought because he had his pre 2001 he would be ok … Seriously though, I thought because he had his pre 2001 he would be ok but realise that's just to ride a 50cc moped :lol:Lumoruk - all you need is here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

I'm post 2001, and have read that directgov website many times over, even tried navigating the damn DVLA telephone systems but got hopelessly lost :roll:

lumoruk;7000115

I'm post 2001, and have read that directgov website many times over, even … I'm post 2001, and have read that directgov website many times over, even tried navigating the damn DVLA telephone systems but got hopelessly lost :roll:

Post 2001 - can only ride a 50cc moped without a CBT anything over that needs a CBT

Original Poster Banned

fireheaven;7000367

Post 2001 - can only ride a 50cc moped without a CBT anything over that … Post 2001 - can only ride a 50cc moped without a CBT anything over that needs a CBT

knew that bit, but was wondering about my licence :thumbsup:

:lol: do you know what I am gonna shut up now cos I really am not helping :oops:

Original Poster Banned

fireheaven;7000444

:lol: do you know what I am gonna shut up now cos I really am not … :lol: do you know what I am gonna shut up now cos I really am not helping :oops:

its okay we can't all be perfect like sassie

back of the local paper

lumoruk;7000716

its okay we can't all be perfect like sassie

Agreed, there is no-one better

In the meantime I have texted my brother who is an instructor who says yes your car licence will act as a provisional licence but you will still need the CBT and need to take your full test within two years of your CBT
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions