Groups
    EXPIRED

19 Comments

Banned

Folk change their number and mobile too often

Too much hassle & cost for the bank/CC company

Still loads of people who don't have a mobile though, but nice idea

Online with barclays and barclaycard you have to enter digits from a set password as well for extra security.
    But if the above service was free it would not be a problem, but what about people on payg without credit?

Also I know 99% will have a mobile phone if they are buying stuff online, but what about if people are between phones, haven't registered a new number with the bank etc?

Either way you have shown, and I have experienced it as well, that the banks are generally really good at picking it up!

awoodhall2003;8156652

Also I know 99% will have a mobile phone if they are buying stuff online, … Also I know 99% will have a mobile phone if they are buying stuff online, but what about if people are between phones, haven't registered a new number with the bank etc?

You really know that? Source?

Natwest already use a special card reader for online purchases which they sent to some people including my Dad. It gives a code which is verified on the internet

amzmalhotra;8156776

Natwest already use a special card reader for online purchases which … Natwest already use a special card reader for online purchases which they sent to some people including my Dad. It gives a code which is verified on the internet

A mate of mine has that card reader, but he doesn't need to use it for online purchases, only for adding new accounts for transfers etc

Carley;8156780

but what about people on payg without credit?Shouldn't be making online … but what about people on payg without credit?Shouldn't be making online purchases if they can't afford the credit! (can't they still receive sms?)[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Maybe they don't want to top up their phones, or they have run out that evening etc. And yeah on the receive, for some reason I was thinking verifying it via phone, don't know why! :thumbsup:[/COLOR]Online with barclays and barclaycard you have to enter digits from a set password as well for extra security.Mines the same (Tesco) takes me to a seperate validation screen, but not every website uses it.[COLOR="#ff8c00"]No, and I think they should all implement it, as any extra layer of protection is a plus.[/COLOR]Either way you have shown, and I have experienced it as well, that the banks are generally really good at picking it up!I am in admiration as to how they picked up, not super large amounts (£699, £99 & £330) i've made larger purchases without problems, guess they must have tried a different delivery address or something?[COLOR="#ff8c00"]Yeah I've had a few. First time it happened I had withdrawn £20 from Coventry and travelled down South to see family and was picking my Mum up something from Currys for £25 and when they processed my card they said it wouldnt go through, so I asked them to try again. Then I got a phone call and it was barclays saying they had a questionable transaction trying to be made! I was like is it in Currys for £25 by any chance? Oh so it is you Mr Woodhall? Yes. It was just we were uncertain as only a couple of hours ago you withdrew money from Coventry!Had another time when I went abroad and forgot to tell them and they contacted me to ensure it was me.[/COLOR]

What about people in rural areas that have mobile phones but have to endure patchy reception? If they're in a shop & can't get a signal does that mean their purchase should be refused?

(And this is a point for discussion, not an invitation for abuse aimed at yokels:-D)

Banned

they have that little calculator thing for debit cards....

cis_groupie;8157452

What about people in rural areas that have mobile phones but have to … What about people in rural areas that have mobile phones but have to endure patchy reception? If they're in a shop & can't get a signal does that mean their purchase should be refused?(And this is a point for discussion, not an invitation for abuse aimed at yokels:-D)

We're talking about card not present transactions though. But of course the same situation could occur with an online transaction (poor reception where the person is ordering).

There's loads of reasons why the OP's idea is, unfortunately, a non-starter

If i might pipe in here.
    I've recently completed a survey for barclaycard and your suggestion of txts for online / high / overseas transactions were something they seem to be considering. And I agreed would be benificial.
    Recently (since survey) when they changed my credit limit they txt me.
    V soon after HBOS had a survey where at the end I suggested these measures to them.

So maybe in the works already.

Banned

Lloyds TSB already ring my mobile for suspicious activity on my account, its all automated so Wouldn't take too much work to set up to call or text me for transactions over a set limit say £20.

Banned

So what happens if you are in a shop where you get no network coverage? You just stand at checkout for an hour waiting for a text?
    Or when there are network delays with texts at busy times? For example over new year when it can take hours for texts to arrive?

Banned

Santander wanted to send me a text with a code everytime I wanted to sign into online banking.

I think Egg do the phone thing on big transactions.

Regarding Barclaycard / RBS' scheme of entering digits from a password, that's got to be about the worst idea possible. How do most people enter the 5th, 9th, and 12th digit? By typing it into notepad, and just counting. If the system can recognise individual letters and it doesn't just take a hash value derived from the whole, it means that the password is stored as plain text on a database. And worse still, if you try to change your password to one you'veused before, it'll tell you. It stores a plain text record of your password history. Bolded, because that's absolutely insane, and hideously insecure. If anyone looks at that database, or if it leaks, several million people are utterly boned.

dxx;8163416

I think Egg do the phone thing on big transactions. Regarding Barclaycard … I think Egg do the phone thing on big transactions. Regarding Barclaycard / RBS' scheme of entering digits from a password, that's got to be about the worst idea possible. How do most people enter the 5th, 9th, and 12th digit? By typing it into notepad, and just counting. If the system can recognise individual letters and it doesn't just take a hash value derived from the whole, it means that the password is stored as plain text on a database. And worse still, if you try to change your password to one you'veused before, it'll tell you. It stores a plain text record of your password history. Bolded, because that's absolutely insane, and hideously insecure. If anyone looks at that database, or if it leaks, several million people are utterly boned.

Because your web browser is usng the "https" [Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure] protocol to connect to the 3D Secure site the packets of data are using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption process to encrypt the text (via Transport Layer Security [TLS] &/or Secure Sockets Layer [SSL] protocols).

The reason that not every retail site offers this service is that it is something the individual merchants have to subscribe to with a periodic fee. It is not a mandatory requirement to use Debit or Credit cards, but some banks do insist that merchants implement the system (at their own cost) to shift the responsibility for blame should a fraudulent transaction occur.

See also: "]Fundamental flaw with 3D Secure" (webpayments.ie).

BFN,

fp.

I have a Tesco Credit card and each time I buy something from Play they put a block on my card and I get a phone call from Tesco's credit card fraud office asking me to confirm with them my last half dozen purchases on the card.. happened about 3 times now

Carley;8159026

I wouldn't use my debit card for online purchases (Other than for car … I wouldn't use my debit card for online purchases (Other than for car tax)I believe there is better protection by using a credit card online but i might be wrong?

Completely correct it is safer to use your credit card, but not everyone has credit cards, nor can everyone get them. Furthermore, they might not have a high enough allowance on them either.
    I must say I have recently been trying to use my credit card with companies I don't know very well for online transaction due to the extra protection. But for companies like amazon, play etc I use my debit card.

colinsunderland;8163294

So what happens if you are in a shop where you get no network coverage? … So what happens if you are in a shop where you get no network coverage? You just stand at checkout for an hour waiting for a text?Or when there are network delays with texts at busy times? For example over new year when it can take hours for texts to arrive?

I understood the txts as alerts, which would allow me catch one I hadn't done and get back to them quicker.
    Could be wrong.

Part of their suggestion (barclaycard) was ministatements by txt too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions