Groups

Banned

34 Comments

Bangkok is quite a nice place to say as it sounds naughty.

We stayed in a little b&b literally just outside the city walls which was nice.
    Definetely a walk down the shambles.
    The ghost tours are good if you like that sort of thing.
    The cathedral is beautiful, and York Castle museum is good. The dungeons are fab but expensive.

Banned

Jorvik
    The Walls
    Dungeons
    Riverside
    Pubs
    Suicide Bombing
    Shopping (inc Shambles etc)
    Train Museum (hmm)
    Cathedral

Edited by: "vibeone" 13th Sep 2010

bykergrove

haha! is that a hotel or something?

Nope it was my poor attempt to mock your thread title.
    bykergrove

thanks, york is starting to sound like a place you must go before you … thanks, york is starting to sound like a place you must go before you die...

It's the type of place you go if you want to die.

There was a thread a couple of days ago for offer on a hotel in York, got loads of excellent comments.
    I can't seem to find it though, someone else might remember it!

Banned

bykergrove

thanks, york is starting to sound like a place you must go before you … thanks, york is starting to sound like a place you must go before you die...

Girls love York. Fact.

(Luckily it's not far!)

Lived there all my life! Guess you dont see it quite the same when you're used to it.

Nice mixture of boutique shop and larger out of town shopping centre now.

City walls are nice to walk around if the weather is ok.

Plenty of places to eat.....

Hotel Du Vin is nice if youre looking to treat her :-)

hotukdeals.com/dea…522

Here it is, don't know if its any good to you though!

Marriott on tadcaster road is also nice, has a pool and easy access to the city centre.x

Banned

Manchester is nicer than York

Banned

DLM

Manchester is nicer than York

Nah... too many mentals.

Banned

vibeone

Nah... too many mentals.

That's glasgow (_;)

Banned

bykergrove

dont spoil the thread please, going to Manchester with my mates late … dont spoil the thread please, going to Manchester with my mates late October. went Glasgow in February i think.... had a fab time there.

Aw, my birthday is at the beginning of October.

Your loss

Don't bother with the Jorvik centre, its overpriced, short in length and basically a bit ****!

Do they still have the 'mini' millenium wheel at the train museum? No they don't just checked!

There is always ice skating in front of the museum in the winter months depending when you intend to go.
    Edited by: "cdm22" 13th Sep 2010

bykergrove

how short are we talking? I hat a look on their website and it has other … how short are we talking? I hat a look on their website and it has other stuff like a dig, hall and bar... am thinking if i get the YAT pass i can do all the stuff there and it's only £16 each, do you think that's more worth it? only going to be there for 2 days so I suppose I could fill it with seeing other things?

These reviews pretty much sum it up for me

tripadvisor.co.uk/Att…tml

Actually, thats quite a good list they have...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Att…tml
    Edited by: "cdm22" 13th Sep 2010

I would recommend a ghost walk though. We went with these guys and was worth a fiver
    ghosthunt.co.uk/

DLM

That's glasgow (_;)

Glasgow has a reputation as one of europes friendliest cities and has the worlds tallest cinema (dont get many opportunities to brag about that).
    Edited by: "micoo" 13th Sep 2010

Banned

bykergrove

how short are we talking? I hat a look on their website and it has other … how short are we talking? I hat a look on their website and it has other stuff like a dig, hall and bar... am thinking if i get the YAT pass i can do all the stuff there and it's only £16 each, do you think that's more worth it? only going to be there for 2 days so I suppose I could fill it with seeing other things?

Jorvik literally stinks.

and the queues are as mental as the average Mancunian M&S worker.
    Edited by: "vibeone" 13th Sep 2010

Is York Minster nice enough to say? :-) Its a cathedral or Railway museum, only two places I've been in York.

York Minster

Railway Museum

bykergrove

glasgow was awesome mate! not as fun as dublin during st patricks.. that … glasgow was awesome mate! not as fun as dublin during st patricks.. that was just insane!

Im trying to decide what would be better, dublin for paddys or octoberfest X) really want to do one next year lol

bykergrove

You're on fire! thanks mate! could you let me know where you stayed? … You're on fire! thanks mate! could you let me know where you stayed? would you recommend it?

Other half was doing a M.A. so spent many weekends there but mostly at the place she was renting at the time. The one time i have paid for a place was here churchillhotel.com/ which was rather nice (but don't remember paying the prices they mention on the website though) I would recommend (again) going through the tripadvisor.com pages and searching for York hotels by rank, then going through them to see whats available and how much. It may take a while but have yet to be disappointed hotel wise and that inc York, New York, Rome and other places!

Banned

I am staying in Harrogate for 2 nights in November for £18

Banned

bykergrove

oh and places to eat would be great too!!!!

hotukdeals.com/sea…ate
    Edited by: "DLM" 13th Sep 2010

Banned

bykergrove

thanks nice spot! other cuisines would be appreciated also.

hotukdeals.com/mis…188

Banned

bykergrove

haha! mind = blown! Thanks DLM!

I can't wait to go to Harrogate in November for christmas shopping.

I guess it is going well with your gf :cry:

This is where we stayed Your text here.

Reviews here Your text here

Edited by: "abacus" 13th Sep 2010

Sorry I haven't read all the replies here so sorry if this has already been posted.

Depending on whether or not you want to buy your gf (or yourself) a treat, the Mulberry outlet shop is well worth a look; I don't know if either of you are students but if you have an NUS Extra card you can save 10% in there (which can be helpful). There is also quite a good McArthur Glen shopping village just outside York which you can get to on the bus if you don't go by car.

Ye Olde Starre Inn is good for pub food (and always busy which is a good sign!), next door to the Evil Eye Lounge which itself is good for a coffee/beer/cocktail! away from the crowds despite being smack in the centre. Bettys tea room for a cake and tea (yeah i know, but its THE tourist place to be for that sort of thing) just time it right to avoid the crowds.

bykergrove

haha.. i'm thinking i should take you along! thanks so much for your help … haha.. i'm thinking i should take you along! thanks so much for your help mate!

Sounds good to me! No worries, makes a change that I can actually help someone on here!
    PS - Avoid west of the river at weekends if you don't want to be caught up in large groups of hen and stag parties from Newcastle! Many clubs that side who won't let you in if wearing trainers but quite happy to let skanky mum/daughter combos in...of course if you like that thing then its an oasis of awesomeness

not sure if they operate in october but if its a nice day you can rent a small red boat and go up (or down) the river.

-just checked and there on till the end of october, heres a link for a bit of info
    Edited by: "deadduck_145" 13th Sep 2010

Have just got back from York and we spent four days just wandering around - lovely little streets with some great shops, the Minster is lovely, took a boat trip down the river - very relaxing :), the Yorkshire museum has glorious gardens - and found some GREAT pubs :D. The Golden Fleece opp M&S is a great little pub and serves Mead - what more do you need ?!

We stayed at the Travelodge I know loads of people hate them but the new one on Micklegate is a 2 minute walk over the river into town and was lovely - breakfast at Yates for less than a tenner a day = lots more pennies for shopping / drinking

Have a great time - it's a lovely place to visit.

Banned

vraptorchick

Have just got back from York and we spent four days just wandering around … Have just got back from York and we spent four days just wandering around - lovely little streets with some great shops, the Minster is lovely, took a boat trip down the river - very relaxing :), the Yorkshire museum has glorious gardens - and found some GREAT pubs :D. The Golden Fleece opp M&S is a great little pub and serves Mead - what more do you need ?! We stayed at the Travelodge I know loads of people hate them but the new one on Micklegate is a 2 minute walk over the river into town and was lovely - breakfast at Yates for less than a tenner a day = lots more pennies for shopping / drinking :DHave a great time - it's a lovely place to visit.

Did you find an indian restaurant?

Also recommend the Shambles Ghost Walk. Travelodge - Any saver rooms left for your preferred date ? Also really enjoyed the trip on Yorkboat along the Ouse.

bykergrove

not really looking to shop much there. but thanks a bunch! if you have … not really looking to shop much there. but thanks a bunch! if you have any other suggestions they'd be appreciated!

Does your GF realise your not planning on shopping there?!!! lol Shopping in york is brilliant, its a crime not to shop there! My suggestion would be take plenty of dosh and expect that your GF will shop! If my OH took me to York and said were not doing any shopping I would sulk! lol

If yoy do decide to shop I recomened the outlet as above, shambles, the market area, Christmas shop, teddybear tea room where you can buy the bears.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1938
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764402
      3. The State on Ch434
      4. RIP DOCTOR WHO712

See more discussions