Found 28th Oct 2010

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
35 Comments

well done you..very good...how old are you...60?

Not bad going seeing as though you're 65!! In my days we had student grants but they were a pittance! Well done though, bet it's a weight off you!

oO....

So I paid off my student loan today....

[img]knowyourmeme.com/i/0…jpg?1284755509[/img]

how much was it brah? (nosey lol)
Edited by: "numptyj" 28th Oct 2010

bykergrove

three years at uni worth brah like 10k or something like that inc … three years at uni worth brah like 10k or something like that inc interest.

eye sea, I had to pay about £3400 for about 3 months worth of uni haha oops. Even though it wasn't a massive debt, was good feeling when I got rid of it. Now just need dollar to attempt to buy a property, expensive times round this way as you will know
Edited by: "numptyj" 28th Oct 2010

You've got a mortgage to look forward to then I suppose

Banned

No more cheap trips to Oldham

Banned

bykergrove

haha yeah! that's next year!!! been saving for a large down payment … haha yeah! that's next year!!! been saving for a large down payment though and going to do an offset mortgage so looking to pay it off as soon as i can.

and offset mortgage is usually higher in interest, so only good if you have a wad of money sat in there to offset the interest

Banned

bykergrove

i've done the math on my income/outgoings and offset is by far the better … i've done the math on my income/outgoings and offset is by far the better approach for me.

so you found a good interest rate then on an offset then?

Banned

bykergrove

so you found a good interest rate then on an offset then?

yeah. natwest do good rates depending on your LTV Ratio[/quote]

i personally wouldnt be taking out an offset unless i had a chunk of money to offset it, mainly because you can get better deals other than offset when you havn't got anything to offset, but good luck and hope you get what you want

Woah....pretty impressive...guess you're working in Investment banking or something?
Edited by: "SkippyDoo" 29th Oct 2010

Why you pay off you student loan so quickly?

Wow, a student who actually paid off their loan!.,....

And what's all this 'brah' nonsense, have a word with yourself, it is quite tragic

Reminds me of that bloke on eastenders who cannot act for s$%* and deserves a slap.

Edited by: "jayjayuk1234" 29th Oct 2010

Chidda

Why you pay off you student loan so quickly?

The same reason he felt the need to tell hukd about it...to tell you how well paid his job is and how much money he has!

The SLC wrote to me saying they'd recently been advised that I was out of employment and they needed to know if I had a new job or what my current status was which was all news to me. I gave them a shout and it turned out the loan had been paid off and the account closed hence they weren't taking money off my payslip. Shortly after I received the letter confirming the loan was paid off and account closed which was a good feeling, can see why you wanted to create a topic about it

John
Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 29th Oct 2010

bykergrove

LOL why the hate?

Well it's true, isn't it!? I didn't feel the need to post on here when mine got paid off and I earn a lot less than you do!

bykergrove

err no it wasn't my intention actually. I know there are a fair few post … err no it wasn't my intention actually. I know there are a fair few post grads on here that would or would be shortly doing the same as me. it felt good. so posted a thread about it. if you didn't like the thread you can go ahead and ignore it.cheers.

Alright snottypants, jesus.

bykergrove

John you need to find out if you've overpaid. If you were paying your … John you need to find out if you've overpaid. If you were paying your student loan via PAYE then the HMRC keep hold of the whole year's amount then give it to the SLC in april. In the final year of repayments there is a risk you might over pay depending on the month your repayments end.You should double check with the SLC as i found them to be quite incompetent.

I was lucky for a change as I managed to get someone in the SLC who knew what they were doing and she worked out that I'd overpaid and credited me with the excess. Unfortunately I know all too well about their general incompetence hence I was very surprised to get someone who could sort it out, I didn't really believe it until I got my written confirmation but that's hopefully me free of their clutches for a while.

John

bykergrove

the "brah" nonsense is just a joke. I don't actually use those words in … the "brah" nonsense is just a joke. I don't actually use those words in real life.

Aren't jokes meant to be funny? as opposed to irritating?

never went to Uni, glad for it too... bit more life experience was gained from the career path i chose, plus i'm still on quite a good wage thankyou very much

angelfairee

The same reason he felt the need to tell hukd about it...to tell you how … The same reason he felt the need to tell hukd about it...to tell you how well paid his job is and how much money he has!

Nail on head

bykergrove

haha yeah! that's next year!!! been saving for a large down payment … haha yeah! that's next year!!! been saving for a large down payment though and going to do an offset mortgage so looking to pay it off as soon as i can.

But now you have given away a loan set at RPI for commercial rates of interest in the future!

hubby paid his student loan off arouund 30 i think.....he was at dental school so was 5 was yrs long. he was really happy to have cleared it as well....now we got a lovely big mortgage to pay!

i have 14k over my head! it was about 9 when i left in 2002 but as i havent earnt its just sat there gaining intrest!

bykergrove

[yeah. natwest do good rates depending on your LTV Ratio.also, i'm in the … [yeah. natwest do good rates depending on your LTV Ratio.also, i'm in the upper tax bracket, taking the offset route means i don't earn interest on my savings so it's tax efficient. think of my mortgage as a massive ISA

If you don't mind me asking, what do you work as that got you earning more than a 150k so early in your career? Is it London based?

Banned

magicbeans

hubby paid his student loan off arouund 30 i think.....he was at dental … hubby paid his student loan off arouund 30 i think.....he was at dental school so was 5 was yrs long. he was really happy to have cleared it as well....now we got a lovely big mortgage to pay!i have 14k over my head! it was about 9 when i left in 2002 but as i havent earnt its just sat there gaining intrest!

Get hubby to pay it off or get a job

Congrats mate, I graduated in July this year and my loan is £21k

arcangel111

never went to Uni, glad for it too... bit more life experience was gained … never went to Uni, glad for it too... bit more life experience was gained from the career path i chose, plus i'm still on quite a good wage thankyou very much

Uni isnt just about getting a good wage, its about educating yourself (not just in career skills but in learning more about the world around you, being exposed to literature and more ideas etc) and about meeting new people and getting the whole student experience. My undergrad degree was in history and doesnt directly lend itself to any particular job, and in graduating I have amassed over £20k in debt but if I could do it all over again I would, in a heartbeat.

Banned

CReilly

Uni isnt just about getting a good wage, its about educating yourself … Uni isnt just about getting a good wage, its about educating yourself (not just in career skills but in learning more about the world around you, being exposed to literature and more ideas etc) and about meeting new people and getting the whole student experience. My undergrad degree was in history and doesnt directly lend itself to any particular job, and in graduating I have amassed over £20k in debt but if I could do it all over again I would, in a heartbeat.

It looks like you enjoyed yourself

Thank god there's no tuition fees in Scotland. Well, free for the first 4 years

HSBC do 8% regular savings account
LloydsTSB 5% regular savings account

Very funny thread indeed!

What had me in stiches the most was the thought that anybody would be stupid enough to employ the OP!

transit

Very funny thread indeed!What had me in stiches the most was the thought … Very funny thread indeed!What had me in stiches the most was the thought that anybody would be stupid enough to employ the OP!

Calm down mate!
Halal slaughter houses requires employees..

Would I be able to send my children there?

xclau

Thank god there's no tuition fees in Scotland. Well, free for the first 4 … Thank god there's no tuition fees in Scotland. Well, free for the first 4 years

fungimala

Would I be able to send my children there?

People who weren't born in Scotland has to pay mate; not as good as it all seems

bykergrove

LOL why the hate?

oO Why do you think?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. active noise cancelling headphones21
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?44
    3. Blog advice please33
    4. Best site to buy a domain11

See more discussions