Groups

5 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Look in the local ads near you and get a £1k bike secondhand for the … Look in the local ads near you and get a £1k bike secondhand for the money you have or less

hmm, il have a look- any particular make or models you would recommend to look out for?
    I'm always a bit sceptical about buying second hand.
    Any thoughts on the models i sugggested, mainly on the Coyote?
    Cheers JJ15

jj15

Coyote Big Sur 2010Viking Giro D'Italia 2010Viking MilanoViking Sprint

Would disregard the giro one. Has frame mounted shifters, a bit of a pain if your used to shifters under your hands on your MTB.

The 2 most expensive ones both have shimano's no-name stuff (still alright), with the milano having a triple front ring (giving a theoretical 24 gears) so could be said to be better.

As regards brands, IRC viking are owned by the same people who own Claud Butler and Falcon, not great, but solid cheap end bikes. I know nothing about coyote. If you have one near, Decalthon's entry level road bike normally gets good reviews. Also consider the "bike to work" scheme. If your employer signs up you can get a bike -VAT & pre income tax (works out 1/3-1/2 cheaper)

Whatsthepoint has a point. At this price range, the only bargains are 2nd hand. My current road bike is an italian hand built bike with top end campagnolo gears and brakes which I picked up for the same price as the Milano.

If you don't fancy your local ads, have a look at the bike forums

bikeradar.com is a good place to start. Also singletrackworld.com mainly an off road forum, but it's where I picked up the bike above...

Original Poster

Evilmonkey

Would disregard the giro one. Has frame mounted shifters, a bit of a pain … Would disregard the giro one. Has frame mounted shifters, a bit of a pain if your used to shifters under your hands on your MTB.The 2 most expensive ones both have shimano's no-name stuff (still alright), with the milano having a triple front ring (giving a theoretical 24 gears) so could be said to be better.As regards brands, IRC viking are owned by the same people who own Claud Butler and Falcon, not great, but solid cheap end bikes. I know nothing about coyote. If you have one near, Decalthon's entry level road bike normally gets good reviews. Also consider the "bike to work" scheme. If your employer signs up you can get a bike -VAT & pre income tax (works out 1/3-1/2 cheaper)Whatsthepoint has a point. At this price range, the only bargains are 2nd hand. My current road bike is an italian hand built bike with top end campagnolo gears and brakes which I picked up for the same price as the Milano.If you don't fancy your local ads, have a look at the bike forumshttp://www.bikeradar.com is a good place to start. Also http://www.singletrackworld.com mainly an off road forum, but it's where I picked up the bike above...

Many thanks, much appreciated, il have a look

Banned

I would love to be one of these people who find £1k bikes for £250. I must be the worst for finding these 2nd hand bargains. All I ever see is them going for £600 or something like that. It seems to be the influence of eBay has made everything a sellers market... or I'm just really rubbish!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?1921
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1626
      3. word association Game73944496
      4. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11

See more discussions