Groups

34 Comments

One got one and haven't got a bad word to say about it, great device and most books can be downloaded from the usual sources (_;)

Banned

I just bought one....... I'll let you know when I pick it up on Monday! X)

One thing is sure, you cant use iPads or Tabs etc to read books (unless you want to go blind without the pleasures normally associated to that ailment!)

Books easy to come by. Conversions easy to do (via Calibre)

Personally, I think the WiFi model is the way to go. Browsing is possible on the 3G version, but clanky and you'd never use it...... and You gotta be desperate to NEED a book instantly, when you are carrying a library of 3500 books with you!

Banned

massmail666

tesco deal? im looking at the same. did you go for wifi or 3g?

Yeh... WiFi

Annoyingly I was going to buy another... You can only use the code once! (And I cant be assed to create another account!)

Banned

Personally I think the Sony ones are better as I'm not keen on the keyboard and size of the kindle but for the price and features it's hard to fault.

I will add that not every book is available from "the usual sources" so it can be frustrating finding that one book you really want but there are tens of thousands of books available so not too much to worry about.

E-Readers are as revolutionary as the iPhone if you ask me.

I bought one for my husband - he loves it.

Banned

massmail666

does anyone know if its "drag and drop books" or do you have to use some … does anyone know if its "drag and drop books" or do you have to use some crappy proprietary software?

Fortunately its not like an iPhone and you dont need to use crap software like iTunes.

To add a Mobipocket (".mobi") Ebook to your Kindle:

1. Turn your Kindle on
    2. Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
    3. Drag and drop the ".mobi" Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
    4. When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, "Safely Remove Mass Storage Device" (Windows) or "Eject" (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
    5. When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle

I believe colour ones (similar electronic ink system) are on the way at some point. They are even working on making them play video well.

Ive been hovering over that Tesco deal too.. I just dont know.
    I know it makes sense.. all those books on one device, saving carrying around loads.. but I just tend to pick a book and go anyway. The books no longer taking up space is a plus, considering Im just about out of storage.
    Ive got my eye on a few books but they arent even on Kindle yet though.

The books themselves aren't even that cheap are they? Up until recently I thought that was the big idea.. pay for the kindle and the books would be quite a bit cheaper, but they only seem to be about 50p odd cheaper than the paperback, and half the time the Book Depository make it even less anyway.

Then I can't decide over whether to bother with the 3G version!

I think I might just be missing something (I dunno, its now past 2 and my brain isn't working that well!)

Nikki999

The books themselves aren't even that cheap are they? Up until recently … The books themselves aren't even that cheap are they? Up until recently I thought that was the big idea.. pay for the kindle and the books would be quite a bit cheaper, but they only seem to be about 50p odd cheaper than the paperback, and half the time the Book Depository make it even less anyway.

VAT.

Expanding on what PhearFactor succinctly says says, hard copy paper books are VAT free, the electronic versions you have to pay VAT on.

massmail666

does anyone know if its "drag and drop books" or do you have to use some … does anyone know if its "drag and drop books" or do you have to use some crappy proprietary software?

Drag and drop!!

go and sign up for FREE eBook notifications from Amazon HERE

Put your email address in to receive notifications of every new book that's 0.00 on Amazon (I'm not talking about the old classics that are free either!!) I have over 700 AMAZON sourced ebooks that were all totally free!!

Mod & Ed

my 18 yr old has one and thinks its fab, I love my books and never thought I'd be tempted away from paper to electronics as I'm a complete techie idiot, but I'm indulging myself, its so simple to use.

I read alot and fast. I buy loads of books 2nd hand to keep up and this is what is causing my delay in buying one - I'm just not sure, interesting reading others views on here.

I love mine... Never struggled to find a book from 'the usual sources' either...

Banned

wishihadadonkey

my 18 yr old has one and thinks its fab, I love my books and never … my 18 yr old has one and thinks its fab, I love my books and never thought I'd be tempted away from paper to electronics as I'm a complete techie idiot, but I'm indulging myself, its so simple to use.

I think they do books with big writing and pictures, so you should be ok. And you can keep it next to your Gnomes when you're not using it. X)

pontprennau

Drag and drop!!

I've never paid VAT on any book that I have downloaded - I only go for the free ones and create my own from online books.

Banned

Flodd

I love mine... Never struggled to find a book from 'the usual sources' … I love mine... Never struggled to find a book from 'the usual sources' either...

What are your usual sources? (amazon doesn't count!)

guv

What are your usual sources? (amazon doesn't count!)

I'd be interested too, I really want Chris Evan's autobiography amongst others, can't seem to find them anywhere

I'm using a comination of warez-bb and rapid.org I sometimes have to download a couple of hundred books to get the one I want but im on unlimited downloads anyway...

Chris evans is also in the works for £1.99 if you want to skip lunch and get a book instead X)

To justify it to myself I wanted to get at least 15 books which I definitely would have bought. Think I'm up to about 10gb since Christmas. Plus working my way through all of the Alex cross novels

It's definitely worth getting one

not got a kindle but the e reader i do have is the best present i have ever had.There is no downside,first book i ever read on it was difficult but only because it was so different to hold and maneuver.Once i got over the novelty it was, and still is,( despite expensive repair charge for a broken on/off button) a great alternative to carying books around when more than one is needed eg:holidays .Go ahead ,you won't regret it

sancho1983

I'd be interested too, I really want Chris Evan's autobiography amongst … I'd be interested too, I really want Chris Evan's autobiography amongst others, can't seem to find them anywhere

The ebooks bay

Mod & Ed

guv

I think they do books with big writing and pictures, so you should be ok. … I think they do books with big writing and pictures, so you should be ok. And you can keep it next to your Gnomes when you're not using it. X)

I'm so embarrassed, can't believe I misread it to that extent!

meinhoney

The ebooks bay

You seem to need a UseNet account to use this - is that right?

I've been using my iPad as a 'kindle', doesnt look as good as a Kindle but its one device for everything - anyone else using a iPad?

Banned

Got one last week and honestly can't say a bad thing about it. How they have got the ink on the screen to be so clear and "book like" is beyond me and clearly some sort of witch craft.

It's small, light as a feather and the batter seemingly lasts for 80000 years on one charge.

Easily one of the best bits of gadgetry I have ever owned.

As a piece of technology I think the Kindle is superb as its screen is just like paper which means it's readable in the sun and the batterylife is superb.

My main problem is the cost of the books which for the publisher I use is 50p up to a couple of pounds more than the paper version which is a bit of a joke given the digital versions have no resale value. Apparently ebooks are liable to vat while their paper counterparts are not but that doesn't really change my choice.

John

Banned

All those concerned with paying more for ebooks over the standard books should just download the book they want for free from the usual places then buy the hard copy for the cheapest amount. As soon as it arrives donate it to charity. Win win win

Thinking of buying a couple of these upon my return for me and my GF....do you need to have an amazon account to activate these or anything or can I just drag and drop my book "collection" on from my macbook?

boothy

Thinking of buying a couple of these upon my return for me and my … Thinking of buying a couple of these upon my return for me and my GF....do you need to have an amazon account to activate these or anything or can I just drag and drop my book "collection" on from my macbook?

I use 'Calibre' - Add the files to calibre library, plug in my Kindle, right click the file, send to device. Job done.

Although you can just drag and drop them

i bought a surprise one for the wife at crimbo,she loves it and .......ahhh,football on tv has never been so enjoyable!

Banned

whingygit

i bought a surprise one for the wife at crimbo,she loves it and … i bought a surprise one for the wife at crimbo,she loves it and .......ahhh,football on tv has never been so enjoyable!

^^^^This!!

The complaints about football being on "yet again" have gone considerably!

Are these any good for text books? I mean for like studying? I'm gonna go to uni and would love to have most of the books I needed on a kindle or an Ipad to save me from lugging 30 kgs of books about. I think it would probably be more of a possibility on an ipad then on a kindle though, although I would perfer the e ink of the kindle. I'll be studying computing so not sure if that will make a difference as there maybe illistrations etc that the kindle couldnt deal with.

Its just the idea of the convience, you could take a kindle or ipad anywhere and when you feel like start reading a text book, which definetly wont happen with a 5kg text book lol
    Edited by: "jg213" 11th Jun 2011

anewman

I believe colour ones (similar electronic ink system) are on the way at … I believe colour ones (similar electronic ink system) are on the way at some point. They are even working on making them play video well.

Not any time soon, the nearest competitor along just got pushed back.

tested.com/new…09/
    Edited by: "alternate" 12th Jun 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions