Permanent Bans...........possibly a bit harsh?

After the recent fallout over the new layout of the forum, it would seem to me a bit harsh to permanently ban members when a warning or temporary ban may have sufficed, but that's just my personal opinion.

153 Comments

Depends what the bans where for ?

It is forum policy to ban members who spam. If they feel this is harsh, they can feel free to contact admin, using the contact us link at the bottom of the page, with their thoughts and feelings.

Original Poster

stora;1375354

Depends what the bans where for ?

Think Ultimo was banned for spamming, however I wouldn't agree that the PM I got was spam, but I'm sure that some members with a personal agenda would report it as spam.
http://www.day.az/forum/style_emoticons/default/thinking.gif

Are the bans 'permanent' though? I'd like to think that once the dust has settled most of those who left slowly filter back, and those who were banned will be allowed to return if they ask.

Having said that someone linked to a few threads on other forums the other day and I read a few pages of each, people were proudly boasting about excersizing their right to vote everything on the site freezing cold, people were boasting of having 'stealth' new usernames, people were boasting that they were only still visiting at all so they could contribute negative opinions where ever they could & direct people to the 'new' site etc - if these are the sort of people who have been banned, excellent job imho.

Starlet;1375396

Having said that someone linked to a few threads on other forums the … Having said that someone linked to a few threads on other forums the other day and I read a few pages of each, people were proudly boasting about excersizing their right to vote everything on the site freezing cold, people were boasting of having 'stealth' new usernames, people were boasting that they were only still visiting at all so they could contribute negative opinions where ever they could & direct people to the 'new' site etc - if these are the sort of people who have been banned, excellent job imho.

Yes Starlet, that's the kind of thing that has been happening. I feel very disappointed, I love this forum and it is a big part of my life.

Original Poster

emmajk42;1375388

It is forum policy to ban members who spam. If they feel this is harsh, … It is forum policy to ban members who spam. If they feel this is harsh, they can feel free to contact admin, using the contact us link at the bottom of the page, with their thoughts and feelings.

Hi Emma, Good to see you back;-)

Not too sure why hothothot was banned though?

http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Those that were banned hate the site anyway so I doubt they actually want to come back (from what i've read of their posts).:thinking:

Banned

emmajk42;1375400

Yes Starlet, that's the kind of thing that has been happening. I feel … Yes Starlet, that's the kind of thing that has been happening. I feel very disappointed, I love this forum and it is a big part of my life.

I'm still here, and we know you all love me.

fox2020;1375403

Hi Emma, Good to see you back;-)Not too sure why hothothot was banned … Hi Emma, Good to see you back;-)Not too sure why hothothot was banned though?

I was never really away

Banned

Shengis;1375404

Those that were banned hate the site anyway so I doubt they actually want … Those that were banned hate the site anyway so I doubt they actually want to come back (from what i've read of their posts).:thinking:

Eh? Who's been banned? Have I missed something? I knew about the attempted alternative - but thats about it! Has someone been naughty?

Guys, I don't think it's fair to talk about people who cannot reply here. They know who they are, they know the reasons for the ban, and they can contact admin if they wish. They do not have to be permanent bans.

Original Poster

emmajk42;1375409

I was never really away

As someone who has had to suffer the slow speeds of the dial up internet, you have been away.http://img108.exs.cx/img108/2817/m8ztelephone.gif

emmajk42;1375415

Guys, I don't think it's fair to talk about people who cannot reply here. … Guys, I don't think it's fair to talk about people who cannot reply here. They know who they are, they know the reasons for the ban, and they can contact admin if they wish. They do not have to be permanent bans.

Hopefully they will read this.......it's a shame that things got so out of hand!

Original Poster

emmajk42;1375415

Guys, I don't think it's fair to talk about people who cannot reply here. … Guys, I don't think it's fair to talk about people who cannot reply here. They know who they are, they know the reasons for the ban, and they can contact admin if they wish. They do not have to be permanent bans.

I was under the impression that the bans were permanent.:thinking:

Banned

oh I voted a lot of people's threads as spam when they kept going on about the same thing over and over.

fox2020;1375430

I was under the impression that the bans were permanent.:thinking:

They are. I am saying that admin can rescind themat any time.

emmajk42;1375388

It is forum policy to ban members who spam. If they feel this is harsh, … It is forum policy to ban members who spam. If they feel this is harsh, they can feel free to contact admin, using the contact us link at the bottom of the page, with their thoughts and feelings.

Could you or Paul clarify if "spam" or "spamming" was in relation to PM's or posting on threads & if these banned members were warned prior to being banned?
If people were talking about an alternate site does this mean that any mention of MSE (as opposed to a site set up to cater to a need that appeared to some members to now be missing from HUKD's) on threads with be edited, removed, lead to a ban?

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO;1375665

If people were talking about an alternate site does this mean that any … If people were talking about an alternate site does this mean that any mention of MSE (as opposed to a site set up to cater to a need that appeared to some members to now be missing from HUKD's) on threads with be edited, removed, lead to a ban?

What they were doing was more than just mentioning another site.

I have mentioned MSE numerous times, and I would not expect those posts to be removed because I wasn't mentioning MSE in a way that was to degrade HUKD.

The ones that got banned latterly knew that what they were doing wouldn't be tolerated, but actually chose to spam in order to get banned.

In my opinion no warning was needed.

Banned

emmajk42;1375525

They are. I am saying that admin can rescind themat any time.

yeah and hell will freeze over first for admin rescind any of the bans meated out recently :roll:

It's all a terrible shame, if people were voting cold to disrupt the site etc and were taking part in self promotion then I guess a ban is the correct course of action.

Personal attacks removed. Please keep this on topic and keep it sensible.

duckmagicuk2;1375763

Thanks.

i don't get on much now the sites changed, still don't like it!!
Anyway, looks like i've missed all the 5hit on the fan!!!

John

Original Poster

thesaint;1375685

What they were doing was more than just mentioning another site.I have … What they were doing was more than just mentioning another site.I have mentioned MSE numerous times, and I would not expect those posts to be removed because I wasn't mentioning MSE in a way that was to degrade HUKD.The ones that got banned latterly knew that what they were doing wouldn't be tolerated, but actually chose to spam in order to get banned. In my opinion no warning was needed.

Would not be classed as personal attack then especially as the people in question are unable to post:thinking:

Let me put something very clearly and simply here.

This site is about free and open speech - the basis of the site is that people can share openly and freely about deals and merchants without fear of being censored if it's not according to the merchants agenda. We've had take down notices and threats from just about every big name retailer out there over content posted by HUKD members. Every time the answer is the same that as long as it's legal information and accurate we are not going to censor it.

The same thing applies to everyone else on here. I will fight to the last pence of this site to allow people to have free speech on here. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, the line I draw is when a member does not have respect and tolerance for other members. At that point that member will no longer be welcome here as a member.

If a member has something critical to say, great, let's have a conversation. If they cannot engage in a conversation respectfully then they are not welcome as part of this community.

In this situation I can only say that if a member prefers to leave because they do not like the new site layout and colour fine. If they decide however to disrupt this community through spam, cold voting, multiple ids, and a general lack of respect then they do not belong here. To be honest I can understand the stance of leaving a site if you disagree with it but I cannot understand attempting to disrupt that site. To me that is not respectful and is simply malicious.

What seems even more incredible is someone who would "leave" a site, come back to disrupt it, get banned and then complain about being banned! Do you want to be a member or not? If you do then lets have a conversation. If you don't then what's the problem with being banned?

Banned

duckmagicuk2;1375763

duck ,

i dont think you will achive that as there are few who can speak for themselves anymore and a few too numerous to mention how are trying to be all high and mighty after the event,

Numerous times have people said "change the site back because it's the community that makes the site what it is".

That really confuses me. The site shouldn't matter, it's the people here. The site used to be really friendly, but certain people have turned bitter and nasty. Anyone who says that HUKD has lost it's forum family only have themselves to blame.

Spread the love and be happy.

Banned

duckmagicuk2;1375816

Numerous times have people said "change the site back because it's the … Numerous times have people said "change the site back because it's the community that makes the site what it is".That really confuses me. The site shouldn't matter, it's the people here. The site used to be really friendly, but certain people have turned bitter and nasty. Anyone who says that HUKD has lost it's forum family only have themselves to blame.:) Spread the love and be happy.

duck
dunno about most but the real issue to me.. is the colours is that too much to ask to tone down the white back ground on the pages it does give me serious jip apart from that
tis the season to be .. grumpy and miserable and ask stupid questions and bah humbug everyone :santa:

I've not been around on here much of late, the change coincided with me becoming an xbox owner alas, i am sorry to hear of what has happened if folks have become that incensed about the change that they feel it acceptable to become militant.

I 1st found the changes to the site, when i logged in around 6am on the morning of the change, and already had found a bring back the old site thread, and remember posting to just wait and see how it has changed, but seems folks don't/didn't like the changes.

It is a radical overhaul, some good, some not so, some bits missing, such as the mark forum read. I appreciate the changes had to be made, just wished that they had been beta tested, discussed more with an invited audience say, of dunno, 50 members perhaps.

I haven't read all the complaint/advice threads cos i cannot deal with all the negativity so, i apologise for my ignorance as to whom has been banned and why, but the rules on here, and the old board were never fully implemented but personal attacks are summat i am never fond of; bullying of any kind should not be tolerated and if that is why "some" have been banned, well, their loss.

You speak Paul of having a conversation, dialogue if you will. With hindsight i do believe what i have just said. A beta test with a selected few would have gone a long way. I know, well, do i, know how much effort and hard work you put in, but it is still the community that makes the site, as much as you yourself own the place, without the community you are as you were before, a man with a grand plan but no one to speak to of your plan

The changes, the new site is here to stay folks, as has been made clear, we stay or we leave, but i would guess the old site is gone, so, hukds is dead, long live hukds

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO;1375665

Could you or Paul clarify if "spam" or "spamming" was in relation to PM's … Could you or Paul clarify if "spam" or "spamming" was in relation to PM's or posting on threads & if these banned members were warned prior to being banned?If people were talking about an alternate site does this mean that any mention of MSE (as opposed to a site set up to cater to a need that appeared to some members to now be missing from HUKD's) on threads with be edited, removed, lead to a ban?

I agree with Charlies thinking - other deal sites have been mentioned here in the past without a ban (including alternatives to Quidco).

It would be reassuring if there was a reasonably clear (and open) policy ie you do "X" and you get a temporary ban, you do "y" and you get a permanent ban which is followed consistantly. This would avoid any accusations of the bans being influenced by "personal aimosity".....

I also think that as feelings have been running so high lately maybe a Xmas "amnesty" would be a good idea......

dunno about most but the real issue to me.. is the colours is that too … dunno about most but the real issue to me.. is the colours is that too much to ask to tone down the white back ground on the pages it does give me serious jip apart from that

dog_cop that is one thing we are working on and definitely an issue I would hope would not divide a community as it's a pretty easy one to sort in many ways.

You speak Paul of having a conversation, dialogue if you will. With … You speak Paul of having a conversation, dialogue if you will. With hindsight i do believe what i have just said. A beta test with a selected few would have gone a long way

Hi boydent, I know you probably haven't read the big thread I did the other day but yeah I agree with you and said as much there. One of the mistakes was not enough closed group testing with selected members and getting more involvement.

Original Poster

duckmagicuk2;1375816

Numerous times have people said "change the site back because it's the … Numerous times have people said "change the site back because it's the community that makes the site what it is".That really confuses me. The site shouldn't matter, it's the people here. The site used to be really friendly, but certain people have turned bitter and nasty. Anyone who says that HUKD has lost it's forum family only have themselves to blame. Spread the love and be happy.

I'm more concerned about the people who may find the site then find it too confusing that they leave!
Gone are the day's when you could have a good argument over 3 or 4 pages before the thread was locked:?

Banned

nice post boydent .. good point today as well..:-D

boydent999;1375836

I haven't read all the complaint/advice threads cos i cannot deal with … I haven't read all the complaint/advice threads cos i cannot deal with all the negativity so, i apologise for my ignorance as to whom has been banned and why, but the rules on here, and the old board were never fully implemented but personal attacks are summat i am never fond of; bullying of any kind should not be tolerated and if that is why "some" have been banned, well, their loss.

The personal attacks that duckmagic speaks of earlier on the thread is not about the banned members, but ones directed towards people who offered a differing opinion on this thread.

gari189;1375839

I agree with Charlies thinking - other deal sites have been mentioned … I agree with Charlies thinking - other deal sites have been mentioned here in the past without a ban (including alternatives to Quidco).It would be reassuring if there was a reasonably clear (and open) policy ie you do "X" and you get a temporary ban, you do "y" and you get a permanent ban which is followed consistantly. This would avoid any accusations of the bans being influenced by "personal aimosity".....

You are free to mention alternative websites, however in this case (as mentioned above) it wasn't just mentioning alternative sites to be helpful... it was a group of members who were saying things on their site such as "sod it, i am going over to the brightside to do some blatant spamming", admitting to mass-PM'ming users, and threatening to attack the site if they are banned... as well as serially voting deals cold.

Original Poster

Why was hothothot banned?

Does that mean we aren't allowed to mention UKDealShare on here then?

People have been banned because they broke the forum rules...simple...hows that so hard to grasp? because they were regulars??? makes no difference who they are, if anything they should have known better...

and fox2020 just because someone is supporting the mods etc doesnt make them a brown nose, your name calling however does make you immature.

disease;1375906

Does that mean we aren't allowed to mention UKDealShare on here then?

have you bothered to read the other comments?

tazandsaz;1375911

have you bothered to read the other comments?

I've read every one thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions