Permanent Daylight Savings Time... Pros and Cons?

Found 5th Nov 2017
In 2017 what are the pros and cons of Perma-DST?

As 27 year old office worker doing 9-5, I personally see zero benefits to winding the clocks back so it's pitch black at 3.30pm, and driving home in the dark.

Are they're any benefits to winding them back in 2017?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage in their jobs.

Driving home in the dark must be very traumatic for you
Graham197917 m ago

Plus don't forget he's 27 year old AND an office worker.

Don't see why they can't just set their alarm clocks an hour earlier and go to bed earlier rather than put the rest of us out!
after Brexit we will get 12 hours of day light & 12 of darkness all year round, it was promised to us on the side of a bus or something like that
46 Comments
Excercises your thumb and index finger.
It’s not quite 3.30 is it though, you have to think about the way the darkness starts ends in this country, what happens in the south Is different to the north and think of the likes of kids going to school and farmers working during the darkness.
I don’t think Daylight saving qualifies for Universal Credit.
As for the practical uses, it helps anyone working outside get their jobs done. I guess you like milk on your cereal. Dairy farmers like daylight where possible.
Some roadworks can be carried out before rush hour, rather than during the middle of the day, etc.
It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage in their jobs.

Driving home in the dark must be very traumatic for you
What about garden sundials? Do you have to move them in the summer or winter to keep the correct time
catbeans7 m ago

It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage …It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage in their jobs.Driving home in the dark must be very traumatic for you

eslick32 m ago

It’s not quite 3.30 is it though, you have to think about the way the d …It’s not quite 3.30 is it though, you have to think about the way the darkness starts ends in this country, what happens in the south Is different to the north and think of the likes of kids going to school and farmers working during the darkness.

What is better, kids coming home in darkness or kids going to school in darkness?

Oneday7713 m ago

I don’t think Daylight saving qualifies for Universal Credit. As for the p …I don’t think Daylight saving qualifies for Universal Credit. As for the practical uses, it helps anyone working outside get their jobs done. I guess you like milk on your cereal. Dairy farmers like daylight where possible. Some roadworks can be carried out before rush hour, rather than during the middle of the day, etc.

So farmers wouldn't prefer light in the afternoon, rather than change the time for 1 hour in the morning, if they all in fact rise early?

catbeans11 m ago

It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage …It benefits farmers and other early workers where sunlight is an advantage in their jobs.Driving home in the dark must be very traumatic for you

Dude it sucks, headlights on my MX5 are awful.
Graham19796 m ago

Yeh I am just saying TO ME, I do not see a benefit, and I was just generally asking who the hell does it benefit. Age old response is 'farmers' but is that still the case in 2017?
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 5th Nov 2017
darkstryder3604 m ago

What is better, kids coming home in darkness or kids going to school in …What is better, kids coming home in darkness or kids going to school in darkness? So farmers wouldn't prefer light in the afternoon, rather than change the time for 1 hour in the morning, if they all in fact rise early?Dude it sucks, headlights on my MX5 are awful.

Farmers do indeed prefer morning light. The milk has to be ready for pickup by the tankers.
Also when it comes to agriculture they benefit from less traffic on the earlier hours moving between fields.
Graham197917 m ago

Don't see why they can't just set their alarm clocks an hour earlier and go to bed earlier rather than put the rest of us out!
Agreed. It's dumb.
darkstryder36021 m ago

ah there is your problem, no one can see your tiny little car.
darkstryder36046 m ago

Then stop driving a slipper to the office!
They have talked a few times about it but by the sounds of Op if they talk about it again and they don’t change it is older ones will get the blame just like brexit.

op just wait till you have kids and the joys of a baby not knowing the clocks have changed that’s a real nightmare but at least then you won’t have the worry of a mx5.
eslick1 m ago

They have talked a few times about it but by the sounds of Op if they talk …They have talked a few times about it but by the sounds of Op if they talk about it again and they don’t change it is older ones will get the blame just like brexit. op just wait till you have kids and the joys of a baby not knowing the clocks have changed that’s a real nightmare but at least then you won’t have the worry of a mx5.

Yeh I do blame the old guard. It's 2017, don't farmers have spotlights?
thought it was something to do with the First World War. Anyway it sucks, hate darkness and hate cold weather.
darkstryder3603 m ago

Yeh I do blame the old guard. It's 2017, don't farmers have spotlights?

Hey I don’t want the countryside light up with spotlights imagine that out of the sitting room window.
eslick23 m ago

Hey I don’t want the countryside light up with spotlights imagine that out …Hey I don’t want the countryside light up with spotlights imagine that out of the sitting room window.

I used to enjoy the company of a Farmer in my sitting room, but I no longer do this since he left the smell of the countryside behind him. Now I would welcome an ex-tractor fan.
Utter BS the vast majority of kids get ferried back and forth in mummies 'tank' these days
and I am sure she can afford an extra penny on her pint if it comes to it

Scrap it
Wongy1103 m ago

Utter BS the vast majority of kids get ferried back and forth in mummies …Utter BS the vast majority of kids get ferried back and forth in mummies 'tank' these daysand I am sure she can afford an extra penny on her pint if it comes to it Scrap it

The high schools round our way close at 2.30-3.00pm, great fun on the roads at that time.
darkstryder3603 h, 18 m ago

Yeh I am just saying TO ME, I do not see a benefit, and I was just …Yeh I am just saying TO ME, I do not see a benefit, and I was just generally asking who the hell does it benefit. Age old response is 'farmers' but is that still the case in 2017?

It's not just farmers, anyone who works outdoors benefits, for example people on building sites, roadworkers, people maintaining our gas, electricity, water and telecoms networks, refuse and recycling collectors, and probably a lot more that I haven't thought of, all these people start work at 7 or 7.30am, or even earlier, and need natural daylight to do their job properly and safely.
Delbert.Grady8 m ago

It's not just farmers, anyone who works outdoors benefits, for example …It's not just farmers, anyone who works outdoors benefits, for example people on building sites, roadworkers, people maintaining our gas, electricity, water and telecoms networks, refuse and recycling collectors, and probably a lot more that I haven't thought of, all these people start work at 7 or 7.30am, or even earlier, and need natural daylight to do their job properly and safely.

Really ? and speaking from experience here I would have thought the less disruption to the working day the better ?
Edited by: "Wongy110" 5th Nov 2017
In 2017 what are the pros and cons of Perma-DST?

As 27 year old office worker doing 9-5, I personally see zero benefits to winding the clocks back so it’s pitch black at 3.30pm, and driving home in the dark.

Are they’re any benefits to winding them back in 2017?

Actually, we are winding clocks backs only because we put them forward at the spring time.
Our actual solar time is the winter time, so now we just put the clocks back to normal.
At the end of the day(when ever that might be) we live in a 'zero hours society'
if you don't like it well complain

in the mean time this is a 'no brainer'

scrap it
Just be thankful you live in a country that daylight/nighttime varies and you have four seasons to enjoy

If you don't like it then move

Countries that are closer to the Equator (like The Philippines) get between 8hrs 20 mins & 10hrs nighttime throughout the year

And they have 2 seasons summer and rainy - majority of the population have never experienced snow
I don't see it happening, but personally this is something that I'd probably support... or we could just move to CET. Of course, given the anti-Europe sentiment at the moment, that won't be happening either.
varaha20 m ago

In 2017 what are the pros and cons of Perma-DST? As 27 year old office …In 2017 what are the pros and cons of Perma-DST? As 27 year old office worker doing 9-5, I personally see zero benefits to winding the clocks back so it’s pitch black at 3.30pm, and driving home in the dark. Are they’re any benefits to winding them back in 2017?Actually, we are winding clocks backs only because we put them forward at the spring time. Our actual solar time is the winter time, so now we just put the clocks back to normal.

I think that this is acknowledged with the thread's premise, given the way that it's been titled.
after Brexit we will get 12 hours of day light & 12 of darkness all year round, it was promised to us on the side of a bus or something like that
Shakes head
darkstryder36011 h, 35 m ago

What is better, kids coming home in darkness or kids going to school in …What is better, kids coming home in darkness or kids going to school in darkness? So farmers wouldn't prefer light in the afternoon, rather than change the time for 1 hour in the morning, if they all in fact rise early?Dude it sucks, headlights on my MX5 are awful.

darkstryder36011 h, 35 m ago

Kids go to and from school in daylight. It's not pitch black at 3:30pm unless you live in the Orkneys!

Earliest sunset in the south is 3:51pm but twilight lasts 40 minutes after this

Your silly suggestion would mean everyone who does a 9-5 job will be commuting both ways in darkness
Seems pretty pointless to me, but then I work mostly at home with no real set hours and I have lights so I guess it isn't really for me.
eslick15 h, 19 m ago

Hey I don’t want the countryside light up with spotlights imagine that out …Hey I don’t want the countryside light up with spotlights imagine that out of the sitting room window.

"Won't somebody please think of the countryside!"

For half an hour in the morning, you will be alright.
chocci4 h, 45 m ago

Kids go to and from school in daylight. It's not pitch black at 3:30pm …Kids go to and from school in daylight. It's not pitch black at 3:30pm unless you live in the Orkneys! Earliest sunset in the south is 3:51pm but twilight lasts 40 minutes after thisYour silly suggestion would mean everyone who does a 9-5 job will be commuting both ways in darkness

Not every child leaves school at 3.30 and is home safe by 3.45. My cousins don't get home till gone 5 after buses and walking, and tbh would prefer it if they had daylight in the evening.
Oneday7716 h, 21 m ago

Farmers do indeed prefer morning light. The milk has to be ready for …Farmers do indeed prefer morning light. The milk has to be ready for pickup by the tankers. Also when it comes to agriculture they benefit from less traffic on the earlier hours moving between fields.

So the cows know when the clocks go back and expect to be milked an hour later than usual, do they? I think not. And funnily enough every milking parlour I've been in has been lit by electric light.
I never get the farmers arguement. In the winter, why don't they start work when it's light rather than waiting for a specific time.

Personally, I favour double BST with clocks 1hr forward in the winter and 2hrs in the summer.
darkstryder36019 h, 2 m ago

I'm sure there was a study years ago that concluded they'd be fewer deaths on the road if we stuck to BST in winter.

People are normally more alert in the morning on their way to work, than they are on their way home from work in the evening, and drivers (and cycling school kids for that matter) are more likely to put their headlights on when they set off in the dark and keep them on as it get lighter, where as if they set off when the sun is going down, many are quite late in turning on their lights. So accidents would be reduced.
Edited by: "melted" 6th Nov 2017
darkstryder36019 h, 17 m ago

Great time of year to be commuting in a rag top, heated bum warmers and heating on full blast, better than summer time.

Might be worth a trip to your local motor factors and see if you can upgrade to better bulbs.
darkstryder3603 h, 17 m ago

"Won't somebody please think of the countryside!"For half an hour in the …"Won't somebody please think of the countryside!"For half an hour in the morning, you will be alright.

So what are the pros and negatives of daylight savings on an office worker?

Alot of people seem to be annoyed by it but without a real issue.
catbeans4 m ago

So what are the pros and negatives of daylight savings on an office …So what are the pros and negatives of daylight savings on an office worker?Alot of people seem to be annoyed by it but without a real issue.

Pro an extra hour in bed in autumn.

Con one hour less in bed in spring
Pandamansays3 h, 49 m ago

I never get the farmers arguement. In the winter, why don't they start …I never get the farmers arguement. In the winter, why don't they start work when it's light rather than waiting for a specific time. Personally, I favour double BST with clocks 1hr forward in the winter and 2hrs in the summer.

Or in other words, (Central) European Time
catbeans2 h, 33 m ago

So what are the pros and negatives of daylight savings on an office …So what are the pros and negatives of daylight savings on an office worker?Alot of people seem to be annoyed by it but without a real issue.

Its dark, miserable and dreary.

And you leave the office, and see it's dark miserable and dreary outside
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants