Permanent tyre weld question.

Found 21st Feb 2016
Son has a problem where 2 of his tyres have slow punctures losing around 4psi per week. Plenty of tread on the tyres, is there anything like tyre weld which is permanent for slow punctures? Don't want to get charged £15 or so per tyre for a repair orveven just to take tyres off and try and fix if there is a cheap fix.
Thanks.
Community Updates
AskTyres
18 Comments
Costs £10 at my local garage for puncture repair, seems cheap to me. Tyre weld is temporary fix to get you to a garage for a new tyre, tyre is no good after using it
sometimes slow puncture is cause by nail/screw/sharp object embedded in the tyre and can be found by visual inspection of the tyre by removing the wheel.
this type of puncture can be repair by kit similar to below link.
we were recommend by friend about this and repair one of our tyre this way and so far a year on no problem with the same tyre.

ebay.co.uk/itm…772?hash=item4af9317c4c:g:4SIAAOSwFqJWluh4
As above buy that kit or this eBay item 201424219774 . its very simple just requires a bit of force to push in. My local tyre shop uses it and have several repairs over the years. You don't need to take the tyre of, so u could do it in situ. Then with a knife just cut the excess off.
I get people say tyre weld is a temporary fix but took mine to the place they do puncture repairs but couple of my tyres had tyre weld in I asked him if I should replace tyre or leave it and he said I'd leave it there's lots of people driving out there with second hand cars which have it and don't even realise tyre welds job is to 'weld' the tyre so as long as that's doing its job it should be fine just minister your psi for a while
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your replies, will have to have a good look at them and see where it is coming from. I was thinking it could be the alloy seal. Never seen these diy kits before, but have seen the drill and plug method at tyre centres.
Get the tyres replaced. You'd regret it come the day you get a call to say his tyres blown at 70mph and there not much left. How idiotic to skimp on something that would cost hardly anything to fix.
Original Poster

Get the tyres replaced. You'd regret it come the day you get a call to … Get the tyres replaced. You'd regret it come the day you get a call to say his tyres blown at 70mph and there not much left. How idiotic to skimp on something that would cost hardly anything to fix.

He doesn't do any motorway driving, are you saying this method is not safe? I asked for advice and appreciate valued comments, if it isn't safe then I will take that on board.
kramvic

He doesn't do any motorway driving, are you saying this method is not … He doesn't do any motorway driving, are you saying this method is not safe? I asked for advice and appreciate valued comments, if it isn't safe then I will take that on board.

There are some things on cars you don't skimp on, tyres and brakes are the most important part of the car, he might not do motorway speeds but he will be driving fast on occasion I am sure he won't be driving all the time at 30. A blowout at any speed can be disasterous. For the sake of his life and others take the car and get the wheel repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. A tenner isn't much but you may live to regret using a diy kit when fixing it properly is so cheap.
Original Poster
eslick

There are some things on cars you don't skimp on, tyres and brakes are … There are some things on cars you don't skimp on, tyres and brakes are the most important part of the car, he might not do motorway speeds but he will be driving fast on occasion I am sure he won't be driving all the time at 30. A blowout at any speed can be disasterous. For the sake of his life and others take the car and get the wheel repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. A tenner isn't much but you may live to regret using a diy kit when fixing it properly is so cheap.

Thanks for your valued comment.(_;)
kramvic

He doesn't do any motorway driving, are you saying this method is not … He doesn't do any motorway driving, are you saying this method is not safe? I asked for advice and appreciate valued comments, if it isn't safe then I will take that on board.

He might not motorway drive but he might drive at 70 :P tyre weld I would say isn't safe for long term. if the garage is well endorsed a proper puncture repair will be more than enough though. Many will do it for around 10-15 per tyre. not a large cost and ensures its fixed.
Original Poster

He might not motorway drive but he might drive at 70 :P tyre weld I … He might not motorway drive but he might drive at 70 :P tyre weld I would say isn't safe for long term. if the garage is well endorsed a proper puncture repair will be more than enough though. Many will do it for around 10-15 per tyre. not a large cost and ensures its fixed.

Cheers, will get them checked out.
Banned
You're being tight over something that has a knock on effect that affects not only your sons safety but the safety of anyone else on the road..

Pony up the £15 and get it fixed professionally.
Original Poster
WonkyDoctor

You're being tight over something that has a knock on effect that affects … You're being tight over something that has a knock on effect that affects not only your sons safety but the safety of anyone else on the road..Pony up the £15 and get it fixed professionally.

Yep going to, was just asking the question about the tyre weld and how safe and effective it was. Have taken on board the comments and going to take it in for repair or replacement.
Get the tyres checked
If its been run flat the tyres will be goosed
If its not a puncture it may need the beads resealing if it has alloy wheels
Don't scrimp on eBay tat from China to repair them
Two thing not to scrimp on
Tyres and brakes
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 21st Feb 2016
Don't skimp on a fix, tyres an save your son's life. professional repair and tyre inspection a must. running tyres under pressure causes wall degrading too
Bradleigh

Get the tyres checkedIf its been run flat the tyres will be goosed If its … Get the tyres checkedIf its been run flat the tyres will be goosed If its not a puncture it may need the beads resealing if it has alloy wheelsDon't scrimp on eBay tat from China to repair themTwo thing not to scrimp onTyres and brakes

^This

Could also be faulty valves, Most tyre places will charge £5 - £10 per wheel that may include valves and balancing.

If the tyres are well worn it may be just as wise to change them.
Original Poster
shauneco

^ThisCould also be faulty valves, Most tyre places will charge £5 - £10 p … ^ThisCould also be faulty valves, Most tyre places will charge £5 - £10 per wheel that may include valves and balancing.If the tyres are well worn it may be just as wise to change them.

Nice 1 thanks.(_;)
Lets get it completely correct....your tyres are the only thing you have on the road so use your judgement wisely..that said, TYRE WELD is completely safe to use and DOES NOT damage a tyre in any way. Its water based chemical and just needs rinsing or wiping out when repaired. It also says its temporary but actually it can be used for thousands of miles and regarded as permanently fixed in small leaks. The company only tell you to get it repaired to cover themselves but in reality its usually a good fix if the pressure remains constant for a few days. But Keep checking obviously. It does not damage rims,valves or internal tyre rubber. All It does is inflate and plug the whole with a chemical that solidifies inside any fracture causing the leak. On something like a nail or screw puncture its very effective permanently.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions