Permission to metal detect on farms/private land

Found 6th Feb 2013
Hello we are a couple seeking to obtain permission to use a metal detector on farm/private land within a 75 mile radius of swansea. In return for permission we are more than willing to help out the land owner with any reasonable odd jobs and come to an arrangement to share all detecting finds with the landowner .We also have full public liability insurance via the federation of independent detectorists and would only want to work land a maximum of twice a week.
Community Updates
Misc
33 Comments
Sounds good maybe i could come to an arrangement with your wife!
Haha!
what the *bleep* ?
Have you had any success finding anything of interest or value, so far?
So whats the question!!
Wut?

http://i.minus.com/ibcbzyT1WTsH7w.gif
[quote=Mark2111]Have you had any success finding anything of interest or value, so far?

couple of gold rings/ bracelets and coins dating back to the 1800's but the trouble is getting permission to hunt. Most people don't realise that even hunting beaches requires permits.
Sharing a percentage of profits with the farmer? It being their land and all..
Shouldn't you be asking the land owner and not on here ?

I used to always want a metal detector when a child but never got one just like the Mr Frosty !
What type detector have you got? Mines an XP Goldmax power, I got permission from an estate farm (20,000 + acres) , found loads of stuff , roman , medieval , best find is gold half guinnea , a gold ring too , speaking to the farmer in person is better I find than writing and its who you know not what you know .
I prefer ploughed fields , easy to dig and things get churned up to the surface , the nearer you get to houses etc the more junk you find like foil, nails and bottle tops
Hope this thread attracts other treasure hunters, it would be really interesting to read about what people have found.

Like mum2 above, I always wanted a metal detector.
theres a dedicated site/forum for this
casparwhite

theres a dedicated site/forum for this

Wish there was one for you.
OP am I assuming you are expecting some farmers to be on here and give you permission to go on their land?
metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vie…=11

lots of people doing the same thing in the uk and around europe

there are permission template letters you can use
Edited by: "casparwhite" 6th Feb 2013
treasure hunting in the uk is a nightmare, I did it for a few years in the 90s, the owners don't want you on their land & anything you find had to be declared to the local coroner, not sure if the regs have changed since but I wouldn't waste your time to be honest
1) Keep it low and slow

2) If in doubt dig , even the crap signals

I have also found roman fibula brooches and part of an anglo saxon brooch
Edited by: "goldmax" 6th Feb 2013
[quote=goldmax]What type detector have you got? Mines an XP Goldmax power, I got permission from an estate farm (20,000 + acres) , found loads of stuff , roman , medieval , best find is gold half guinnea , a gold ring too , speaking to the farmer in person is better I find than writing and its who you know not what you know .

Using a whites mxt pro, Tesoro compadre, mine lab sovereign and a garrett pin pointer
[quote=aircanman]OP am I assuming you are expecting some farmers to be on here and give you permission to go on their land?

Was hoping for some farmers on here yes.And as someone said why did I not call on farmers and ask personally? the reason being many farmers are busy people and it is sometimes hard to catch them at home. So I was hoping that any farmers/landowners reading this could get in touch and we could arrange a meet at they,re convenience.
Like you say busy people, think it more likely you catch them on their land working than to be looking at this thread.
Or ringing hotels for information....
Note to self...
Avoid this thread, initiative level too low.

[quote=Mum2ConnornCerys]Like you say busy people, think it more likely you catch them on their land working than to be looking at this thread.

Yes but as I said due to rural crime and idiots . Most farmers are more likely to be happy with a pre arranged meeting rather than someone just cold calling
welsh ham

[quote=aircanman]OP am I assuming you are expecting some farmers to be on … [quote=aircanman]OP am I assuming you are expecting some farmers to be on here and give you permission to go on their land?Was hoping for some farmers on here yes.And as someone said why did I not call on farmers and ask personally? the reason being many farmers are busy people and it is sometimes hard to catch them at home. So I was hoping that any farmers/landowners reading this could get in touch and we could arrange a meet at they,re convenience.

Lol, I doubt you will catch farmers on here from Swansea, this is something I would put on Gumtree if I were you, and I like your comment about them being busy and hard at work, you did mean grumpy, rude and annoying when behind the wheel of a tractor yes?
welsh ham

[quote=goldmax]What type detector have you got? Mines an XP Goldmax … [quote=goldmax]What type detector have you got? Mines an XP Goldmax power, I got permission from an estate farm (20,000 + acres) , found loads of stuff , roman , medieval , best find is gold half guinnea , a gold ring too , speaking to the farmer in person is better I find than writing and its who you know not what you know .Using a whites mxt pro, Tesoro compadre, mine lab sovereign and a garrett pin pointer

Looks like you have some good kit there , around us in Lincolnshire the majority of the land is arable so gets ploughed after harvest which is a good time for us lot. Is there a young farmers group nearby which you could infiltrate , they like drinking so offer a few pints
Good idea Goldmax Will try that.i know the young farmers gather at a nearby pub whose landlord is a friend so will certainly follow up that avenue of enquiry.
This site lists livestock and farming equipment auctions.....you could try ringing the local ones and asking how much to advertise on the auction brochure or whether you can put a poster up in the canteen. Or go to some of the auctions yourself and hand out a few flyer's and get the chance to meat them personally.

laa.co.uk/fin…php
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 6th Feb 2013
This site lists livestock and farming equipment auctions

get the chance to meat them

nice one slam X)
adamsxi

Sounds good maybe i could come to an arrangement with your wife!

Funniest post of the year so far. For once I actually LOL.
Adnan786

Funniest post of the year so far. For once I actually LOL.

Infantile people are entitled to they,re enjoyment but they won't get enjoyment from my mrs
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions