Groups
    EXPIRED

Perparing for a car breakdown?

What essentials does anyone carry if any in regards to preparing for car problems? I'm becoming extremely reliant on my car but it's done over a hundred thousand miles so I'm half expecting to need to pull over on a motorway at some point.

I almost always have my phone with my but I'm thinking about maybe getting a cheap one to keep in the car in case of emergencies, what do you guys do?

15 Comments

The essentials:
    1) A fully charged phone. If you keep a spare in your car, make sure it is charged and has credit on it.
    2) A warm coat. If you stop on a motorway you need to leave your car asap. The hard shoulder is the most dangerous place on the motorway.
    3) Breakdown cover and their phone number handy.
    4) Credit card/money.

Beyond the essential, you can carry a warning triangle, blankets, first aid kit, toolkit, torch, snow shovel, map, spare water, snacks and drinks. Generally though, with the above 4 items I've always felt I could handle any situation I came across.

Edit: One of those windscreen hammers / seat belt cutters you can find for a few quid seem like a good idea to carry. I've got one in my car somewhere, but would probably take me 10 minutes to find it!

Edit 2: In France they make you carry spare bulbs, and this isn't a bad idea. You can get a set quite cheaply, obviously ensure you have the necessary tools with you if you're changing bulbs.

I would also have a paper copy of essential phone numbers and keep it in your glove box or wallet or the like.

If you need medication, perhaps keep some spares in your car too.

Edited by: "Tony68k" 12th Jan 2015

Original Poster

Tony68k

The essentials:1) A fully charged phone. If you keep a spare in your … The essentials:1) A fully charged phone. If you keep a spare in your car, make sure it is charged and has credit on it.2) A warm coat. If you stop on a motorway you need to leave your car asap. The hard shoulder is the most dangerous place on the motorway.3) Breakdown cover and their phone number handy.4) Credit card/money.Beyond the essential, you can carry a warning triangle, blankets, first aid kit, toolkit, torch, snow shovel, map, spare water, snacks and drinks. Generally though, with the above 4 items I've always felt I could handle any situation I came across.

Cheers for the info, I'm thinking about a spare phone, one of those nokias with a car charger and my breakdown cover number, only thing is credit, is there anyway to keep credit on a phone without it expiring?

Trace6x

Cheers for the info, I'm thinking about a spare phone, one of those … Cheers for the info, I'm thinking about a spare phone, one of those nokias with a car charger and my breakdown cover number, only thing is credit, is there anyway to keep credit on a phone without it expiring?

put £10 on it and send a text message every 6 months.. would take 50 years to use all the credit..

Trace6x

is there anyway to keep credit on a phone without it expiring?

Vodafone will keep credit for 90 days after a chargeable event. O2 keeps credit for 6 months after a chargeable event. Not sure of the others. I think they actually disconnect your sim card rather than remove your credit. Why not just keep a charger for you existing phone in your car and ensure it has credit on it?

adam_holcombe

put £10 on it and send a text message every 6 months.. would take 50 … put £10 on it and send a text message every 6 months.. would take 50 years to use all the credit..

90 days for Vodafone, 6 months for O2. You need to check the others. To be safe, send a text every month and you'll be safe.

A regular service.

Family Mobile credit lasts for a year before requiring any usage.

yourfamilymobile.co.uk/

A High Vis waistcoat is an essential item in my car, and is a legal requirement in Spain, as is a reflective triangle x 2.

Playboy mag and some Kleenex.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Jan 2015

Green Flag membership,
    Standby mobile phone and in-car charger.
    Spare tyre with pressure checked and that fits your car (Not like the Renault wheen some halfwit put in a Passat I bought from a dealer once)
    Good jack that will fit under the car with a completely flat tyre
    A wheelbrace that WON'T split trying to shift a tight nut (like what happened to me with a hire van once)
    Can of water with antifreeze added
    Jump leads (Decent quality)
    Towrope (and check you kinnow where the car's strong points are and how to use them)
    Warning Triangle
    Good torches with fresh batteries
    Head mounted torch with fresh batteries (You'll feel like a complete **** wearing it, but they are incredibly useful)
    Your car's manual
    Set of fuses, a fuse puller and a review of what fuses are where and how to reach them
    A set of bulbs and a review of how to change them (the offside headlamp bulb on my old motor could only be changed by half dismantling the front wing - fsking thing)
    Some (non-perishable) food and a bottle of water
    Maybe a flask.
    Map book
    Sat Nav
    Warm Clothes (including rain cover, hat, boots and gloves)
    GHIGH VIZ Jacket/Waistcoat that will fit over the top of you plus any padding.
    Did I mention Green Flag?

Edited by: "Some_Bloke" 12th Jan 2015

Some_Bloke

...Towrope (and check you kinnow where the car's strong points are and … ...Towrope (and check you kinnow where the car's strong points are and how to use them)...

Not legal anymore.

Pair of wellies
    Balaclava hat
    Space blanket
    Puzzle book
    Cereal bars to eat!!

buy credit for the mobile but dont top up the phone. just stick the voucher to the sun visor and top up the phone when u need to use it. most companies give 6- 12 months to top up from time of purchase. Also giff gaff top up last a lifetime but must use it once every 6 months.
    Just make sure u breakdown in an area with reception

Edited by: "kash2013" 12th Jan 2015

Some_Bloke

...Towrope (and check you kinnow where the car's strong points are and … ...Towrope (and check you kinnow where the car's strong points are and how to use them)...

In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope … In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery

What absolute rubbish.. The Highway Code simply states

Relevant section of highway code.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice people!

shauneco

Playboy mag and some Kleenex.

​looks like this company is about to go bust so u better get a new provider if u want use them for emergencys
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Android tablet parental control ?22
      2. Memory foam mattress topper22
      3. Biscuit addiction1643
      4. Any solicitors? Leasehold covenant Query "business use"33

See more discussions