Personal Cloud Help

Posted 20th Jul
Hello HUKDians,

I have many portable, non-portable USB external hard drives, and now want to setup a network personal cloud like storage to access data from all the drives at a single place. Also may be later add some mirroring to increase data recovery if a hard drive fails.
Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
WD MY CLOUD
owncloud.org/

You'l need a PC (or a pi) to work with it probably, but it may work.
If you're lucky you'll be able to work out how to set up the disks as a "jobd"

We had owncloud where I work for a while. There's even a free version of the andriod app that worked too.
nginx+nextcloudpi. u can even run from docker. android ios app. remote login.
Where will you be accessing the data from? Just at home or out and about too?
EndlessWaves20/07/2020 15:56

Where will you be accessing the data from? Just at home or out and about …Where will you be accessing the data from? Just at home or out and about too?

At first only home across all devices.
Got many portable hard drives and don't what is where.

Once this is sorted out will see the option of remote access if not too complicated.
File sharing across a home network is well supported. You can use the folder/drive sharing functions in an operating system or buy a dedicated device (usually called a NAS) that uses the same protocol.

If you use a general purpose computer you might already have the hardware spare and it's more capable of other types of sharing in future but a NAS is low power and discrete.
Nextcloud
Seafile
You need a PC or as above Raspberry Pi to act as a file server, or even easier windows with shared folder, Linux with samba (share a floder) as a startup.
As above, dedicated NAS is much easier.
Or if you want to sync folders across remote location see Syncthing
All links are free for home use.
Edited by: "Rugrats" 20th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text