personal injury question

6 replies
Found 27th Oct 2016
I got hit in the rear by another road user and suffered a back injury that caused me to take time off work. I don't like no win no fee companies as I feel they take too much money from the other person's insurance company, can I go to the Third Party insurance directly and ask them to deal with it?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Yes but they will appoint their own solicitors ( who will act on your behalf) which may not be to your advantage
BTW I'm surprised your own ins co have not offered to claim for you?
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 27th Oct 2016

Yes. That's what they're there for. They will act really quickly too if they're a reputable insurer. It's in their interest to compensate you before you get persuaded to engage a no win no fee company which will cost them much more.

the whole industry is corrupt
The insurer appoints repairers who give kickbacks
The insurer appoints solicitors who do the same
The doctors are in on it too
Eventually it goes to the underwriters and anyone who has to buy car insurance picks up the final bill
This is why premiums are rising
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 27th Oct 2016

Original Poster

sowotsdis

Yes but they will appoint their own solicitors ( who will act on your … Yes but they will appoint their own solicitors ( who will act on your behalf) which may not be to your advantageBTW I'm surprised your own ins co have not offered to claim for you?

I'm using an accident management company for the repairs. My insurer was gonna send it to an accident management company so I chose to use one that I know are good. My insurer will send me to a solicitor who is a no win no fee and I don't like the idea of that, not because I am worried I won't win but because I don't agree with kickbacks

Unfortunately this is how all solicitors work- you sign the agreement to co -operate they say no -win no fee, but you have a water tight case so you can choose whoever you want even the high street.
If you are so concerned go to any solicitor and they will happily act on your behalf
The insurers promise quicker pay outs

sowotsdis

the whole industry is corruptThe insurer appoints repairers who give … the whole industry is corruptThe insurer appoints repairers who give kickbacksThe insurer appoints solicitors who do the sameThe doctors are in on it tooEventually it goes to the underwriters and anyone who has to buy car insurance picks up the final bill This is why premiums are rising

I'd say it's more caught in a vicious cycle than corrupt.

What you say is technically true, although the 'insurer' and 'underwriter' in your example are one and the same thing so it makes no sense to pass cost onto themselves.
The reason this practice came along is an insurer found an opportunity to increase the costs (and reduce the profit) of their competitors by adding additional costs in the form of kick-backs from their suppliers on claims where the other party is at fault. The natural effect of this is that other insurers followed suit to get their own back. This meant that premiums had to be increased to cover this extra cost.

Attempts have been made for industry agreements to break this practice, but all insurers have to agree for it to work. Not all have agreed yet.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. putting dry clean only through washing machne98
    2. Help! In need of a PS4 Headset58
    3. Sonos Amazon Echo discount code beg thread56
    4. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet44

See more discussions