personal preference

Posted 21st Jan
hello I am on shell energy, with about 3700kwh of EST year of electrical and 13150 kWh EST usage of gas , which makes it about 90 a month.

old back boiler so my gas usage just to keep house around 16c is about 2 pound a day in December, January, , .

I looked at company website , and eon and British gas around 80 mark, I also believe British gas came with free boiler care fixed for year at that price tho I am renting so no use to me,

eon came up as well, which Is what ppl used to be with.
I am used to be with British gas but swapped to shell hoping it be cheaper.

so both are good .

but then out the fox came up for 75,tho only 3 stars and not auto switch,

what are people thoughts
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
i'd move to anyone even if more expensive than deal with shell energy (first utility).

check the fine print on eon/british gas as they may require you getting a smart meter installed.

nothing wrong with outfox, i think they are still recovering from when they screwed all their customers over a year ago by making them pay extra for winter and then later backtracked on it.

autoswitch is no big deal either. i assume you're talking uswitch there as all that means is typing your details into uswitch will create an autoswitch. but all you do with outfox is type your details into their website and they swtich you automatically.
once you have switched to a fixed price deal, the scope of saving money once more by another fixed price deal is hugely diminished. Whilst you are on your deal prices keep rising which does not matter to you BUT come the time when you need to renew that deal you will find it quite difficult to get a huge saving. Depends entirely what the market conditions are when you renew.
My renewal is coming up soon in March and early looks suggests I will stick with EDF or move toBG. If I am forced by either to take a Smart Metre to go get their lowest tariff then I will take my business elsewhere.
Work out what’s best for you, price, reviews, size of the company and depending on your risk levels make the choice.

we are happy to go with near the cheapest not to worried about reviews but would think twice about a company who has had issues with OFGEM. Only had one issue with a small supplier going bust and apart from OFGEM moving us to BG on their most expensive tariff wouldn’t think twice about using a smaller company.

I also don’t normally sigh up with exit fees but would for one of the small ones.

as said don’t worry about auto switching it’s easy to do it yourself but sign up to something like MSE do you can track it essi
Edited by: "eslick" 21st Jan
m1keyp1key21/01/2020 12:01

i'd move to anyone even if more expensive than deal with shell energy …i'd move to anyone even if more expensive than deal with shell energy (first utility). check the fine print on eon/british gas as they may require you getting a smart meter installed. nothing wrong with outfox, i think they are still recovering from when they screwed all their customers over a year ago by making them pay extra for winter and then later backtracked on it. autoswitch is no big deal either. i assume you're talking uswitch there as all that means is typing your details into uswitch will create an autoswitch. but all you do with outfox is type your details into their website and they swtich you automatically.

still got smart meter and I don't mind them, not getting into pro and cons. oh bit worrying if out fox can do that, Also like how British gas has offers
I was on a Shell Energy fix and just switched to Eon because it was cheaper. Like you said, personal preference but after comparing the others Eon came up cheapest for me.
eslick21/01/2020 12:37

Work out what’s best for you, price, reviews, size of the company and d …Work out what’s best for you, price, reviews, size of the company and depending on your risk levels make the choice. we are happy to go with near the cheapest not to worried about reviews but would think twice about a company who has had issues with OFGEM. Only had one issue with a small supplier going bust and apart from OFGEM moving us to BG on their most expensive tariff wouldn’t think twice about using a smaller company. I also don’t normally sigh up with exit fees but would for one of the small ones.as said don’t worry about auto switching it’s easy to do it yourself but sign up to something like MSE do you can track it essi

I use compare the market. and Which company had issues with ofgem, I think I stick with British gas as I no them, and prefer there smart meter, again not going in pro and cons but I like to keep a eye on budget.

with shell, there my gas usage per month ranges from 15 a month in summer too 60 in winter,again back boiler, only gas I use is hobs on cooker and boiler, I have dishwasher now ,so main use is just central heating or once and while gas coal fire on for hour or so.

, my electronic is around 39 pounds and that doesn't change much give or take few pounds,tho January bill was ten pounds higer for some reason, but we see next month.

Wil I get a better deal on British gas website or on compare sites.
Pricklerickle21/01/2020 12:59

still got smart meter and I don't mind them, not getting into pro and …still got smart meter and I don't mind them, not getting into pro and cons. oh bit worrying if out fox can do that, Also like how British gas has offers

They did it as did some others, but they got so much hassle over it they finally backed down. It wouldn't put me off going with them. The only ones we wouldn't go with are the ones that insist on installing a smart meter as i think that leads to different rates at different times of the day which won't be in the consumers interest.
Pricklerickle21/01/2020 13:13

I use compare the market. and Which company had issues with ofgem, I …I use compare the market. and Which company had issues with ofgem, I think I stick with British gas as I no them, and prefer there smart meter, again not going in pro and cons but I like to keep a eye on budget.with shell, there my gas usage per month ranges from 15 a month in summer too 60 in winter,again back boiler, only gas I use is hobs on cooker and boiler, I have dishwasher now ,so main use is just central heating or once and while gas coal fire on for hour or so., my electronic is around 39 pounds and that doesn't change much give or take few pounds,tho January bill was ten pounds higer for some reason, but we see next month.Wil I get a better deal on British gas website or on compare sites.

MSE shows the companies with issues. Forget about how much you use each month use the yearly usage figures to find the actual amount of gas and electricity you use
Keep the house at 16 degrees? Are you an Eskimo?
eslick21/01/2020 15:42

MSE shows the companies with issues. Forget about how much you use each …MSE shows the companies with issues. Forget about how much you use each month use the yearly usage figures to find the actual amount of gas and electricity you use

yea, every monthly report Keep saying annual usage so I used highest one, as it better to overpay than underpay, so with compare , we been on 80 a month with eon or British gas
deeky21/01/2020 15:52

Keep the house at 16 degrees? Are you an Eskimo?

lol it was 17.5, but I try and Keep the gas not using more than 2 pounds day, so 16 Oka with me, and I got really fluffy pjams,plus it gets warm in bedroom, only room and no trv,only on and off
Have a look at Green Energy, we've just swapped to them and the prices are so much more cheaper than other quotes I got (except for outfoxthemarket which I've avoided though after reviews) and switching to them has been extremely easy,got a nice app as well.
Sc4mp021/01/2020 16:57

Have a look at Green Energy, we've just swapped to them and the prices are …Have a look at Green Energy, we've just swapped to them and the prices are so much more cheaper than other quotes I got (except for outfoxthemarket which I've avoided though after reviews) and switching to them has been extremely easy,got a nice app as well.

there came up but not as cheapest
Pricklerickle21/01/2020 17:08

there came up but not as cheapest

Fair enough, came up seconds cheapest for us, odd how prices differ depending on the area/house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants