Personal Stock/Share Trading platform

Posted 7th Apr
Looking for a personal stock trading platform mostly for buy and hold shares.
Not planning to do frequent trading, so minimum admin and brokerage fees would be ideal.
Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Good luck with this!
The market is pretty tucked up.

Avoid self pick isas as the fees are high!
The options are limited but there are some Index linked funds with minimal fees (as they’re not actively managed) but it has to be up to you to act with knowledge (assuming you have enough to want stocks and shares?)
Bullet198029 m ago

Good luck with this!The market is pretty tucked up. Avoid self pick isas …Good luck with this!The market is pretty tucked up. Avoid self pick isas as the fees are high!The options are limited but there are some Index linked funds with minimal fees (as they’re not actively managed) but it has to be up to you to act with knowledge (assuming you have enough to want stocks and shares?)

Thanks, for beginners would Barclays smart investor be any good?
Try Trading 212, used it and have made a little bit profit
Edited by: "mds1256" 7th Apr
i use hargreaves lansdowne and they are pretty good.
I think other commenters are misunderstanding your question ? I take it you want to buy ,sell and hold shares ,and wish to know which broker to use?

Generally dealing fees are about £10 per trade , so if you can beat that its a good deal . Admin fees are about 0.3% per annum (Interactive Investor charge £90 per year ,£22.50 per quarter ), but you get that back with 9 free trades a year .

I'm currently gradually moving my shares to Fidelity from Interactive investor to include them in my ISA account .

Remember you can have a Cash ISA with one provider and a Stocks and shares ISA with another provider ( but not 2 Cash ISAs or 2 stocks and shares ISAs) up to the £20K annual limit .

Most platforms allow you to set up a "dummy " account to have a play and understand how it works before using "real" money.

If your ISA allowance isn't used up I would recommend holding them within an ISA . May not make a lot of difference right now , but in years to come that money or shares dividends will always be free of tax .
mutley107/04/2019 18:23

i use hargreaves lansdowne and they are pretty good.

Yes Hargreaves Lansdowne are another good one where ,like Fidelity , you can hold a mixture of Unit trusts ,Etfs and shares in your ISA .
Halifax share builder as £2 to buy
rogparki4 m ago

Yes Hargreaves Lansdowne are another good one where ,like Fidelity , you …Yes Hargreaves Lansdowne are another good one where ,like Fidelity , you can hold a mixture of Unit trusts ,Etfs and shares in your ISA .

we used fidelity in the past but have moved our investments to hargreaves lansdowne as we found fidelity customer service to be very poor and platform inferior to hargreaves. i traded their tracker funds and was told off for doing so as they didn't like the idea of investors trading their tracker funds so i went to hargreaves who had no problem with investors trading tracker funds.

i now trade ETFs, which is my little baby at the moment.
wayners07/04/2019 18:33

That's for regular buying of the same share / ETF (ie monthly saving plan ) . Their standard dealing charge is £12.50 per trade .
Edited by: "rogparki" 7th Apr
rogparki13 m ago

That's for regular buying of the same share / ETF (ie monthly saving plan …That's for regular buying of the same share / ETF (ie monthly saving plan ) . Their standard dealing charge is £12.50 per trade .

Well I don't... I log in.. Transfer money over from bank.. Setup the one off trade. I do have £20 go in ready to trade every month but it just sits there and I can transfer it back to bank. It's true you need to pay £12.50 to sell and the transaction is on fixed days which is why its cheap to buy. Im not buying any more until Brexit is sorted. Buyers market at mo.. Maybe, but I'm down on my luck..
Edited by: "wayners" 7th Apr
Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful. I have some company shares which now need to be transferred either to a personal account or sold off. Wanted to keep them, hence the question. Thanks again, at least I've got some options now.
It depends on how you have acquired the shares. If they are from an employee share incentive or 'share save' scheme then up to £20k (depending on how much of your annual allowance you have left) can be transferred directly into an ISA without selling them;-

gov.uk/tax…isa

You will need to speak to the provider and ask if they will handle the transaction. Some may even do it for free, so you'd avoid buying and selling charges.

If you are selling shares outside of an ISA, then depending on how much they're worth they may be subject to Capital Gains Tax. Transferring directly into an ISA without selling them means you will reduce your exposure, both now and in the future to CGT. Any dividends are also sheltered from tax.

Do think carefully though about holding lots of shares in a single company. You can reduce your risk by selling some of what you have and buying something else.
LordLardy07/04/2019 19:05

Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful. I have some company shares …Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful. I have some company shares which now need to be transferred either to a personal account or sold off. Wanted to keep them, hence the question. Thanks again, at least I've got some options now.

has your employer given you any advice as to where you can hold the shares? you may be able to hold them off line until you need to sell them, in which case you don't have to pay a platform fee.
Guzzle07/04/2019 20:34

It depends on how you have acquired the shares. If they are from an …It depends on how you have acquired the shares. If they are from an employee share incentive or 'share save' scheme then up to £20k (depending on how much of your annual allowance you have left) can be transferred directly into an ISA without selling them;-https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes/transferring-your-shares-to-an-isaYou will need to speak to the provider and ask if they will handle the transaction. Some may even do it for free, so you'd avoid buying and selling charges.If you are selling shares outside of an ISA, then depending on how much they're worth they may be subject to Capital Gains Tax. Transferring directly into an ISA without selling them means you will reduce your exposure, both now and in the future to CGT. Any dividends are also sheltered from tax. Do think carefully though about holding lots of shares in a single company. You can reduce your risk by selling some of what you have and buying something else.

Thanis, very helpful. The current provider has already sent me a letter saying I have only two options, either sell and transfer as cash or transfer to another personal trading account, prefer the latter.
mutley14 m ago

has your employer given you any advice as to where you can hold the …has your employer given you any advice as to where you can hold the shares? you may be able to hold them off line until you need to sell them, in which case you don't have to pay a platform fee.

Not the employer, but the current provider has. Thanks
wayners07/04/2019 18:33

we started out with the halifax share builder as we didn't know much about investment when we started. it is a terrible platform as their management charge is very high. hargreaves management charge on funds are very low.
LordLardy07/04/2019 20:43

Thanis, very helpful. The current provider has already sent me a letter …Thanis, very helpful. The current provider has already sent me a letter saying I have only two options, either sell and transfer as cash or transfer to another personal trading account, prefer the latter.

try to put it into an ISA wrapper as that is the most tax efficient way of holding and dealing with shares.
mutley107/04/2019 20:49

try to put it into an ISA wrapper as that is the most tax efficient way of …try to put it into an ISA wrapper as that is the most tax efficient way of holding and dealing with shares.

Do you mean like a Stocks and Shares ISA? Thanks
LordLardy4 m ago

Do you mean like a Stocks and Shares ISA? Thanks

yes. you can have an ISA account of up to £20k each tax year (that is the current ISA annual allowance) and you can put any shares into it and buy and sell shares within the account. this way all dividends are tax free, as well as any capital gains you make on selling the shares subsequently. have a word with hargreaves and ask them if you can put your shares into an ISA account with them. they are very good at giving free advice on these matters.
Edited by: "mutley1" 7th Apr
mutley107/04/2019 20:45

we started out with the halifax share builder as we didn't know much about …we started out with the halifax share builder as we didn't know much about investment when we started. it is a terrible platform as their management charge is very high. hargreaves management charge on funds are very low.

Halifax charge £12.50 per year ISA fee and £12.50 per trade, whereas Hargreaves Lansdown charge 0.45% per year (capped at £45 per year for share holdings but not OEIC funds) and £11.95 per trade on shares (although it does reduce if you're a frequent trader and funds are free). HL do offer discounts on some funds which will offset some of their fees, but a typical investor with a small portfolio of £2.8k or more that doesn't make many trades would save on fees with Halifax. HL do have a better website though with lots of handy tools.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 7th Apr
Equiniti
Iwebsharedealing - part of Halifax / Lloyds - charge £5 commission for buy / sell and no annual fee. £25 to open a new account. Been using them for decades.
Don't forget, unless you have paper shares now - which you can lodge with a broker like IWeb - you existing provider may charge you for an electronic transfer. Also, you can't afaik transfer shares directly from a company scheme into an ISA - only an existing ISA or new cash from the current year can be transferred into a stock ISA.
Guzzle07/04/2019 21:14

Halifax charge £12.50 per year ISA fee and £12.50 per trade, whereas H …Halifax charge £12.50 per year ISA fee and £12.50 per trade, whereas Hargreaves Lansdown charge 0.45% per year (capped at £45 per year for share holdings but not OEIC funds) and £11.95 per trade on shares (although it does reduce if you're a frequent trader and funds are free). HL do offer discounts on some funds which will offset some of their fees, but a typical investor with a small portfolio of £2.8k or more that doesn't make many trades would save on fees with Halifax. HL do have a better website though with lots of handy tools.

But if you look at the tracker funds they offer for example, and then look at management charge, it is 1.25% for the ftse100 tracker, which is ridiculously high when you compare to similar tracker fiunds on hargreaves.
mutley127 m ago

But if you look at the tracker funds they offer for example, and then look …But if you look at the tracker funds they offer for example, and then look at management charge, it is 1.25% for the ftse100 tracker, which is ridiculously high when you compare to similar tracker fiunds on hargreaves.

That is a fund management charge for a particular fund, it is not the Halifax platform charge. OP is invested in shares, not funds so wouldn't pay a fund management charge unless they chose to buy a fund. There are about 2,000 different funds to choose from on the Halifax platform, they don't all have management fees that high. I will concede though that HL does have a better range of funds.

It is better to decide what you want to invest in first and then shop around for the best platform to hold that investment on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions