Groups

Personalised number plate, take em off?

not really sure what the termilogy is, got a personalised number plate and selling my car and not getting new one for a few months so would like to take them off and get it in the paper form? for when i buy new car, i have the old plates for what the car was before do i get that number plate back or do i get new one to put on the car?

8 Comments

You can retain the number until you are ready to put it on a new car. If you contact DVLA they will let you know what you need to do. There is a cost involved.

Put it on a retention certificate, you can keep it for 12 months on there (or longer if you renew it each year).

Original Poster

ChrisUK

Put it on a retention certificate, you can keep it for 12 months on there … Put it on a retention certificate, you can keep it for 12 months on there (or longer if you renew it each year).

yes i read this on the website looks easy thanks

but do you know like what goes on the car?

do I have to get a new one made for reg the dvla give me or do i use the plates i used before?

thanks

DVLA will send you details of number plate that has been assigned to vehicle, if it had a normal number plate previous it'll go back to old plates, it cost me £80 to retain personalised plate. I think
    Edited by: "loveabargain13" 25th Oct 2016

The car will revert to its old number plate that you had on the car before you put your private plate on it, so if still got the old plates you took off can put them on, but not until you have put your private registration number on retention, costs £80

you do it online after recently doing it my self
    gov.uk/kee…ber
    pay £80 and they give you a new v5 with the old reg and you have to put the old reg back on the car it is active straight away and you get a form to print to get the numberplates made up if you dont have them which you can take any where that makes numberplates

Don't think you have to pay every year anymore - valid for 10 years on retention. Amazingly enough - something going in OUR favour lol....
    Edited by: "Die_hard" 25th Oct 2016

Original Poster

Luckyluke02

you do it online after recently doing it my … you do it online after recently doing it my selfhttps://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-numberpay £80 and they give you a new v5 with the old reg and you have to put the old reg back on the car it is active straight away and you get a form to print to get the numberplates made up if you dont have them which you can take any where that makes numberplates

That's excellent thanks easy enough
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions