Peru Inca Trail

Posted 8th Nov
Has anyone done an Inca trail in Peru?
I was thinking of sorting a trip out for my OH as a present.
Looking for recommendations for best to book etc.
Seen few 4-7 all inclusive programs that sound good.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I did it in 2013.

I used a company call Llama Path, it was about 600USD for a 4day/3 night trek on the Inca Trail with a train back to Cusco after reaching Machu Picchu.

First you will need to apply for a permit as the Peruvian government only release a limited amount each day (500?), to see if they are available for your dates. Can’t remember the price of these though.
england199608/11/2019 09:36

I did it in 2013.I used a company call Llama Path, it was about 600USD for …I did it in 2013.I used a company call Llama Path, it was about 600USD for a 4day/3 night trek on the Inca Trail with a train back to Cusco after reaching Machu Picchu.First you will need to apply for a permit as the Peruvian government only release a limited amount each day (500?), to see if they are available for your dates. Can’t remember the price of these though.

thank you.
was it a good experience? worth it?
I did it with Llama Travel in 2017 as part of a 3 week trip around Peru. It was so good! Did the standard 4(?) day hike and it was amazing.

It was hard but there were a variety of ages and fitness levels and everyone finished!
Edited by: "Tjl694" 8th Nov
AMaky08/11/2019 09:48

thank you.was it a good experience? worth it?

Yeah it was amazing, definitely worth it!!Llama Path were great too, professional & well run. I can’t 100% remember but I think I gave them our preferred dates and they sorted the permits for us, but it all ran very smoothly nevertheless 🏼

There are other routes/treks to Machu Picchu, but the Inca trail is the ‘official’ one. It’s not tooooo difficult either, we both carried our own rucksack, and did it in trainers.

There were about 12 (tourists) in our group plus guides/porters/cooks.
Others in our group (mainly Americans) paid extra for porters to carry their bags and had aaaalllllllllll the gear, boots, hiking poles etc, etc, but we didn’t feel we needed it.

You can stay with the group of walk ahead (as we did) and meet at the next check point, and it was like we were the only ones there walking through the Andes!!...... although when you arrive at Machu Picchu it will be VERY busy, as a lot of people just go straight there on the train skipping the trek, but I would 100% doing the trek first!!

My brother & I did three weeks in Peru travelling around with short stops in Chile & Bolivia...... thanks to some 200 quid error price flights I got off here I think 😁
Edited by: "england1996" 8th Nov
We did it with perutreks.com/ and they were excellent. Brilliant staff and guide, incredible food considering the porters had to carry everything. They even made us a cake on the last night somehow.

The Classic Trail is amazing because you get to see sites almost as impressive as Machu Picchu which no one else can see. Make sure you do the extra kilometer on the penultimate night to see the big city just before you get to your destination, it was practically deserted when we went and all the more magical for it.
Thank you all, will look into this for next Autumn eek.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants