pet friendly weed killer

Hiya, for some reason dandelions seem to be claiming asylum in their 100s in my back garden. Obviously I want to get rid of them but am struggling to find a pet friendly weed killer so the dog can still use the garden. Can anybody recommend/know of any?
Cheers

10 Comments

Mix a gallon of white vinegar, cup full of salt and a squirt of washing up liquid. Spray directly onto the plant on a sunny day. Harmless to pets, lethal to weeds.

if you have a lawnmower that collects clippings use that if not get one that does. keep it well mown, if there are any patchy bits reseed it, the grass will suffocate any weeds trying to grow and will be healthier for it no need for weed killers

Original Poster

Great stuff cheers both

qwerty212

if you have a lawnmower that collects clippings use that if not get one … if you have a lawnmower that collects clippings use that if not get one that does. keep it well mown, if there are any patchy bits reseed it, the grass will suffocate any weeds trying to grow and will be healthier for it no need for weed killers

​Sounds like that's where I've been going wrong.. cheers

Get a weed burner

Get some verdone from Amazon- you water it on and will see the weeds die off after about a week - use a watering can with a fine rose

discobob

Get some verdone from Amazon- you water it on and will see the weeds die … Get some verdone from Amazon- you water it on and will see the weeds die off after about a week - use a watering can with a fine rose

​BUT NOT PET FRIENDLY, Sorry to shout but I wouldn't be using it with pets around.

Get a strong sharp knife (i use a Hultafors Heavy Duty, costs a fiver or so) and cut into the stem of the weed below the soil, lift the weed away. Takes no time at all. Concentrate on the seeding/flowering Dandelions first. No chemicals. Quite therapeutic. Knife will literally last forever, just rub it against a stone from time to time to get it a bit sharp again.

The vinegar solution is good but good old boiling water is just as good and easier to source than a gallon of White vinegar.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Pond Pump22
    2. Laser eye surgery33
    3. Selling advice33
    4. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)711

See more discussions