Pet Insurance - any recommendations- Bought By Many vs PetPlan vs Kennel Club

Posted 8th Oct 2021
Hi all, Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations on pet insurance? I am thinking of going with Petplan but as most of you know, insurance is cheaper everywhere else but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good deal - not sure if it’s worth paying a premium by going with Petplan.

Does anyone have access to Which and their recommendations on pet insurance? I cancelled my membership a while back but would be good to know.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    I have Tesco who I’m now stuck with. However they were absolutely fantastic when I needed them and paid the vet very promptly. Just give the highest cover possibly and always go with lifetime cover
    Uridium
    Drooler08/10/2021 22:22

Until age 8, we used Animal Friends. Never needed to claim but price and …Until age 8, we used Animal Friends. Never needed to claim but price and cover levels were good as was customer service. From age 8 when prices skyrocket, we stopped entirely (not for everyone) on the basis of "if we have to pay, we have to pay".

Your reasoning for no longer paying for insurance is the same I've used for never having any

I did recently have a £600 bill for an emergency operation for Pyometra for my 10 yr old Springer but I figure it's still worked out cheaper for me.

I've probably been lucky though
    Satan_Claws
    Been with Animal Friends for years, had to claim twice and both times they have been excellent, even paid out more then I thought they would. At £10 a month it's well worth it.
    Cakeboy79
    We’re with Bought By Many for our cat. We claimed £500 worth of treatment last year and at this year’s renewal the price went down by £2 a month.
    Drooler
    Until age 8, we used Animal Friends. Never needed to claim but price and cover levels were good as was customer service.

From age 8 when prices skyrocket, we stopped entirely (not for everyone) on the basis of "if we have to pay, we have to pay".
    anthony401
    Bought By Many have great customer service. I've only claimed once but it was simple and fast. If you know anyone with a policy they can get you a referral code for a decent discount.
    mtsk
    Uridium09/10/2021 06:43

Your reasoning for no longer paying for insurance is the same I've used …Your reasoning for no longer paying for insurance is the same I've used for never having any I did recently have a £600 bill for an emergency operation for Pyometra for my 10 yr old Springer but I figure it's still worked out cheaper for me.I've probably been lucky though

My cats. I'll before we had to put him down was 1700. It would take quite some time to recoup this cost
    Anonymous User
    We use animal friends, they are really cheap for our 13 year old cat.
    slimy31
    We had petplan for our first cats, the local vet dealt with them directly whenever we needed anything. But then the excess and the premium started to go up. When we finally lost her we worked out we'd got back maybe 10% of the premiums as claims?

Our current cats are done based on 'as and when they need it', and touch wood it's been fine. For dogs I'd go for insurance (especially pedigrees with known breeding defects), but I wouldn't bother with cats.

For policies, check the fine print for how much it will increase over time. There's no point going for the cheapest now, if they're the most expensive in ten years time.
's avatar
Top Merchants