Pet insurance - moving 'lifetime' policies

Found 1st May 2017
I've been with More Than Pet Insurance for the 5 years that I've had my dog, using the 'lifetime' cover.
Over the past two renewals, the policy has increased by 50%. Last year I was paying £30 a month and now I've just received my renewal for this year of £45 a month, which is ridiculous as I didn't even claim last year.
As I have the 'lifetime' cover option, can I simply go to another provider and take their 'lifetime' option or am I stuck with More Than?
I am keen to stick with a lifetime policy.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskInsurance
12 Comments
You're stuck unfortunately, you can move but the policy will cease. Any conditions will be classed as pre existing.
I got my 17 year old cat insured at pet-insurance.co.uk for £85 a year for "lifetime" - but that's with no pre-existing conditions.
notahappybunny15

You're stuck unfortunately, you can move but the policy will cease. Any … You're stuck unfortunately, you can move but the policy will cease. Any conditions will be classed as pre existing.

So I can move to another provider using their lifetime cover, aslong as I declare a pre existing health condition (only if the premium is lower), right?
gsj87

So I can move to another provider using their lifetime cover, aslong as I … So I can move to another provider using their lifetime cover, aslong as I declare a pre existing health condition (only if the premium is lower), right?

There's nothing to stop you taking out new lifetime policy elsewhere but it will not cover any preexisting conditions. The 'lifetime' aspect of the cover will only apply to things diagnosed in the future.
Play the odds and put money in savings account every month
I had the exact same 50% increase issues with More Than a few years ago... I told them to stuff it when it got to over £100 a month!!!
Yes pet insurance can be so expensive...I'm with more than and seen around a 20% increase every year and when my dog reaches 9 years old in August the excess doubles to £150 from £75...
Yep, had pet insurance for our black lab for 7 years, that's when most companies stop taking on new pets. Then the increases started.
When she reached 11 they wanted to almost double it.
Went with animal friends knowing I would have to pick up the other 50% of any bills. She became ill a week later and had to be put to sleep 4 days after that. Animal Friends initially refused to pay out saying she must have been ill already. Only after I threatened legal action did they pay their half.
That's the problem with pet insurance they make their money then rip you off royally when they know you have little other choice. Hope you find a solution, if you do then post it here for others.
wayners

Play the odds and put money in savings account every month

this option only works for those with money as you do not want to put your pet's health at risk if you do not have enough money to cover the insurance yourself.
It also depends on the age of your pet. I wanted to switch to a different insurance company for my dog just because I hate the company I am with now as they put me through hell trying to claim for a lump that appeared on my dogs neck last year , had to appeal it and everything, I did win the case but tried to switch to another company and no company would offer a lifetime cover because my dog is over 8 years old. So im now stuck with the current company for the remainder of his life now. :\
Unfortunately pet insurance companies are becoming a joke. My friend recently got a 4 month old rescued rottweiler and was quoted £110 a month by one well known insurer.
She is now putting money aside each month. My mum did the same with her jrt. He had a luxating patella which wouldn't be covered, so she ditched the insurance and put money away. Other than a dental and routine jabs he's been healthy and currently has enough to buy a small family hatchback....
It is a risk though so I can sympathise. You don't want to take chances with your pets health.
gsj87

So I can move to another provider using their lifetime cover, aslong as I … So I can move to another provider using their lifetime cover, aslong as I declare a pre existing health condition (only if the premium is lower), right?

Yes, you are obliged to give the pre existing conditions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants