Pet Insurance - what a swamp!

Found 9th Jan
New dog. Mates tell me they pay £10pm for lifetime insurance but I am being quoted over £40 by Petplan. It seems to be a flea/rat/snake/alligator infested swamp where I have little faith the insurer will pay out if needed.

How much cover (medium sized -Cocker- dog)?

Which small print am I looking for to avoid
Community Updates
9 Comments
We are with animal friends, cocker and they have pain out easily past few times, couple of grand last time. £15pm lifetime cover. Also ask your vet who they recommend. makes it easier to claim
Our dog insurance for a lab cross went from £5 per month to £50 recently.

The smallnpriny really needs to be read as one company will have different conditions depending on when it was taken out.

We never needed to make a claim on our pet insurance thankfully but my sister has had loads of policies over the years and they all vary hugely. Some have a large excess but they then pay the full treatment cost, others have a lower excess (£50-75) but only half half of the any claim.
jimhuf25 m ago

We are with animal friends, cocker and they have pain out easily past few …We are with animal friends, cocker and they have pain out easily past few times, couple of grand last time. £15pm lifetime cover. Also ask your vet who they recommend. makes it easier to claim

Astonishing difference in cost. Thanks. Do you mind my asking which version of the plan they went for. Vet, Feldons in Kenilworth, said Petplan.
Pet Plan are one of the pricier policies but they are also one of the best, there's a reason most vets reccomend them. They also pay the vet directly so you don't need to stress about coming up with the money for expensive treatment/procedures. They have different levels of cover so check your quote as that might be why it's so high.
Edited by: "sparky64" 9th Jan
Animal friends have been a pain the whole time I’ve used them. Had to threaten several times with ombudsman to pay out. Very much regret not going elsewhere but mine are too old to change now.
from our experience with pet insurance, they have been very good at paying out when we make a claim. the costs became non value as our labrador became older so now we self insure.
I’ve used a few insurers over the years and they’ve all been pretty good at paying out. The only problem I’ve had is I was already claiming for lifetime conditions and once you’re claiming no new insurer will cover that problem, only new problems and my current insurer with one of my dogs has made the new policy where I pay my excess plus 10% of the claim because of her age now and I’m stuck with that insurer because of her existing condition that no other insurer would now cover her for.

One thing I would say though is even with lifetime cover, check whether the £9000 or whatever you’re covered for each year is per condition or the total amount for all claims that year because that can be very misleading sometimes.

I’ve always had insurance on all my dogs and have always paid out more in premiums than I’ve claimed and so far I would have been better off without medical insurance but it’s peace of mind and some people claim more than they pay out. The frustrating thing is how much it increases as a dog ages.
Relative had a dog get sick and die very young. This company were helpful all through and paid a huge bill quickly.
LINK
Got a Cocker Spaniel 8 years ago. 1 year old, diagnosed with heart problems (which are common to this breed). Has been on tablets, which will keep her fit and healthy to the end of a normal life span.
Tablets £112 per month.
Routine check up and Xray each year. c£300

Insurance costs £45 per month.

Don't skimp, make sure the insurance runs for the life of the animal. Otherwise it can get scary expensive.

Petplan are expensive for a reason, they pay up when you claim. And your vet will always be your friend.

Alternative plan. Put £50 a month in a savings account and hope for the best.
Edited by: "airbus330" 9th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants