Pet rat advice

Posted 30th OctEdited by:"jamstaruk1972"
Looking to get a pet rat for my daughter, i see they dont like being alone,and lots of people selling them on sell in pairs.I really dont want two if i can avoid it,can they live on their own ok? and wheres best to buy 1 from?any advice would be great.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Why? Stop spoiling her.
It's cruel to keep a animal like that in a cage.
redcantona30/10/2019 22:39

Why? Stop spoiling her. It's cruel to keep a animal like that in a cage.

Its not spoiling her,we are animal lovers,thats your opinion? do you have any pets?,we can give it a happy forever home like our other pets.
Get her a Syrian hamster as they are meant to be kept alone.
jamstaruk197230/10/2019 22:54

Its not spoiling her,we are animal lovers,thats your opinion? do you have …Its not spoiling her,we are animal lovers,thats your opinion? do you have any pets?,we can give it a happy forever home like our other pets.

I have pets but nothing lives in a cage. Rats are social animals. They don't live in cages. They like to explore. Also even domesticated rats can smell quite badly, urine especially.
If an animal is a social animal like rats, rabbits etc. then it really isn’t fair to keep them alone as a pet. So I would definitely recommend a Syrian hamster instead as they are a solitary animal and prefer to be alone. They are large enough to hold comfortably and still need a large cage or tank to house them. I’ve always had Syrian hamsters and “most” of them are extremely friendly (apart from the current one, he is like a piranha in a cage)...
Apologies for my blunt tone earlier but it annoys me when people who profess to be animal lovers want to effectively put them in prison for the fleeting amusement of their children.
JohnnyRoller30/10/2019 23:09

If an animal is a social animal like rats, rabbits etc. then it really …If an animal is a social animal like rats, rabbits etc. then it really isn’t fair to keep them alone as a pet. So I would definitely recommend a Syrian hamster instead as they are a solitary animal and prefer to be alone. They are large enough to hold comfortably and still need a large cage or tank to house them. I’ve always had Syrian hamsters and “most” of them are extremely friendly (apart from the current one, he is like a piranha in a cage)...

thanks for the advice,i will try t convince her,her other option was a rabbit,so i can see us having 2 additions at this rate.i was just hoping to avoid!
jamstaruk197230/10/2019 23:18

thanks for the advice,i will try t convince her,her other option was a …thanks for the advice,i will try t convince her,her other option was a rabbit,so i can see us having 2 additions at this rate.i was just hoping to avoid!

Yeah it really is a must to have 2, you have to remember that rats are nocturnal social animals. So they are active more at night, so they really need to have company.
We had rats when we were at university. Some of my friends still do. Rats need a lot of attention, they need to be running around and having interaction for several hours a day. You can't keep rats in a cage 24/7, they need stimulation and they will eat their way through anything if they decide. To take rats on a pet you need to think hsrd
Can you not get her a tamagotchi?
thanks guys great advice,its gonna have to be a no then,i'll get the wife to tell her lol
I’d get her a Syrian hamster. They are fairly easy to care for in a large cage with a plastic ball for exercise outside the cage. They also only live a couple of years usually so if she does get bored then you’ll only need to look after it for a while.
I've kept rats they were my favourite pet !
They don't smell they are very intelligent and very loving. However as stated here they need alot of attention and alot of time to run freely and the cage is very expensive if done right.
Females are very different to males.

And as always know pets are not toys borrow a friend's first get to know your daughter will love it ? and look after it? Otherwise who will be stuck cleaning up after it? YOU
I got a couple of rats from the RSPCA once, they were awesome pets, let them out every day and they had the run of the flat. So friendly and loyal, one used to sit on top of a cuppa while you were trying to drink it.
BBC News - Rats taught to drive tiny cars to lower their stress levels
bbc.co.uk/new…812
Rats, as pets??? wtf.....
Buy the cage, and all the stuff needed for a hamster, just don't buy the little rodent. Tell her its in there somewhere, might as well as you will never see it anyway.

Get her 2 rabbits or 2 Guinea pigs, easy kept and quite enjoyable.
Edited by: "Donkii" 31st Oct
No animals should be kept in cages.
DaThetopdog31/10/2019 07:00

I've kept rats they were my favourite pet !They don't smell

Yes they do. I used to have rats too, brilliant pets if you're willing to put the necessary effort in to keeping them but their one and only downside is their pee can be a bit pongy, far more so than other small furries.
Edited by: "spoo" 1st Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants