Peter Capaldi to leave Doctor Who this Christmas

Found 31st Jan
Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi has quit the BBC1 show after three years of playing the Time Lord.

https://s28.postimg.org/e4hgpj36l/Doctor_Who.png

27 Comments

Nooooo!!!

I actually really liked him as the doctor.

No big surprise , they don't seem to like playing him for long with the exception of the great Tom Baker , Tennant is still my favourite

Agent004

No big surprise , they don't seem to like playing him for long with the … No big surprise , they don't seem to like playing him for long with the exception of the great Tom Baker , Tennant is still my favourite

​Yep - Tennant is also my fav. Smith grew on me but Pond should have gone sooner...

Thank Christ,he was awful

I thought the writing in this series went downhill badly, just wasn't as interesting as matt smiths or even tenants variants. Got a little too childish for me, for the first time in years I wasn't actually bothered about watching.

I stopped watching a while back, it certainly peaked during Tennants run. I wonder if they could tempt him back.

Its been crap since tom baker anyway, give the job to someone entertaining like brian blessed.

Original Poster

Error440

Its been crap since tom baker anyway, give the job to someone … Its been crap since tom baker anyway, give the job to someone entertaining like brian blessed.

The comedy of Brian Blessed would really bring something new to the show. Shame the BBC are too cautious.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/375ad7ede0b245e1d4762d8f0a4fe85a/tumblr_mlj0djievO1qf4lf0o1_400.gif

I do have to say, as bad as it sounds but this news pleases me. I'm not a devout 'Whovian' but Capaldi (whilst a superb actor) never worked for me as the Doctor. Now, if only they would finally introduce a female Doctor to breathe a fresh, new twist into the show, that might be worth watching again.

The perfect choice for me would be someone who has already been in the show and from the moment I saw her I thought wow, she would have made a superb 'female' Doctor. Michelle Gomez, who played the character of Missy/Master in several episodes. Charismatic, eccentric and funny too. All traits of the Doctor.

If this were a perfect world (if only eh?) I would have Mr Tennant back as Doc and without a shadow of doubt get Russell T. Davies back to writing.

Tom Baker was Dr Who for me , but i have enjoyed all this new batch with the exception of Capaldi who just didn't seem to fit for me personally . I liked Christopher Eccelston while he was on, but his attitude to the show afterwards spoilt it, even if he had differences of opinion with the team , i would have thought he could have shown his face at the 50th celebrations of such a cult show. Will be interesting to see who comes next ,is it wrong to hope for James Nesbitt.......

I am still waiting for a spin off with the two girls, they can both live forever and they have stolen a tardis. Perfect start for a female style doctor.

tinkerbellian

...Will be interesting to see who comes next...

By definition, it will be.

I've just finished watching season 9 (better late than never!) and although it started well I am utterly confused and found it too unbelievable, if that makes sense. Timey wimey stuff happens all the time but it seems like things were just put together hastily. I can't believe how it ended?! I really like Capaldi and Clara but think season 9 wasn't written that well. I wasn't even terrified when I saw the weeping angles!!! (I'm a big wimp normally!!!)*

Did anyone else find ashilda really annoying?? oO Wasn't impressed with her finally flying the Tardis.

*I need to get out more and not watch a while series of Dr who in less than a week!!!

Phsycronix

I do have to say, as bad as it sounds but this news pleases me. I'm not a … I do have to say, as bad as it sounds but this news pleases me. I'm not a devout 'Whovian' but Capaldi (whilst a superb actor) never worked for me as the Doctor. Now, if only they would finally introduce a female Doctor to breathe a fresh, new twist into the show, that might be worth watching again.The perfect choice for me would be someone who has already been in the show and from the moment I saw her I thought wow, she would have made a superb 'female' Doctor. Michelle Gomez, who played the character of Missy/Master in several episodes. Charismatic, eccentric and funny too. All traits of the Doctor.If this were a perfect world (if only eh?) I would have Mr Tennant back as Doc and without a shadow of doubt get Russell T. Davies back to writing.

If it has a woman i think it needs the one who plays Jen in I.T crowd or the one who plays the character Philomena cunk.... Talking of IT crowd Richard whatever his nane is (Moss) would be good.

You need a nice comedy person for such a silly show, flamboyant eccentric dr who is the only way

Error440

...for such a silly show...

You are not a fan of the show, then?

fanpages

Not since tom baker, its childish now

FantasyDeals

The comedy of Brian Blessed would really bring something new to the show. … The comedy of Brian Blessed would really bring something new to the show. Shame the BBC are too cautious.

How has that not been removed yet X)

Error440

fanpages

Error440

It always was a drama programme for children; to educate them on world history but with the introduction of the science fiction element to provide a vehicle (in the TARDIS) to travel to the historical periods/events.

If you think the subject matter now is childish, or not worthy of your time, I think you are missing the point but I acknowledge not everybody shares the same opinion.

Error440

fanpages

Error440

Its like it should be on CBBC now too dumbed down, the writing is crap

Error440

fanpages

Error440

fanpages

It always was a drama programme for children; to educate them on world … It always was a drama programme for children; to educate them on world history but with the introduction of the science fiction element to provide a vehicle (in the TARDIS) to travel to the historical periods/events.If you think the subject matter now is childish, or not worthy of your time, I think you are missing the point but I acknowledge not everybody shares the same opinion.

Error440

Its like it should be on CBBC now too dumbed down, the writing is crap

I do hear that a lot, not just at this site, but when chatting with others (in person).

Nobody seems to be able to pinpoint what makes the writing poor, though. It is as if most of those expressing that opinion (as their own) have heard or read "Steven Moffat's writing is rubbish" & it has just become the 'cool' thing to say, & to repeat forever more, without any true justification.

It is expected, & inevitable, that Moffat's time as showrunner is compared to Russell T Davies' tenure, & the actors playing The Doctor during Davies' time leading the writing. However, you could argue that is not a fair comparison because every (lead) writer has to build upon (or re-write) previous decisions in the long-running story to that point, & the starting point for each consecutive showrunner is different.

Yes, some of Moffat's scripts are not as good as others he has written in the past. Other writers may be stronger on certain stories, & others may not be as strong. The show has standout episodes, but much weaker ones. That is also to be expected, but not everybody agrees on which are the strongest, & which are the weakest. Nor should they.

That is also true of the actors that have played the lead character. Somebody's favourite may be somebody else's example of the worst portrayal.

Equally, & arguably, some of the longer-running plots, &/or assistances travelling with The Doctor, outstayed their welcome. For all those that prefer to see the same cast week-on-week, series-on-series, there will be those that prefer the introduction of new main characters on a more frequent basis.

...but, back to your point...

In fact, to say (all) the "writing is crap" demonstrates that individual scripts from all those contributing (certainly since 2005 when "Nu-Who" first aired) are not viewed on their own merits, but are lumped together as "the writing".

I think that unfair to the (incredible) episodes that should (& will) be considered as some of the most revealing, highly-defining or, simply, the most entertaining adventures of The Doctor since the programme began (back in 1963).

The "reboot" story arc for the return of the Time Lords, & allowing The Doctor to go beyond the (previously "set in stone") allocated regeneration limit was not only needed but was handled incredibly well given all the history & continuity of the character that has been ongoing for the fifty years prior to that point.

The latest meeting between The Doctor & Davros, for example, had some of the best writing between the two since the programme started. One scene was certainly the longest time the two had been on-screen together, & uninterrupted by other characters. A lot was learned, & a lot was left to be learned. Those that simply 'dip-in' to the story, & are not as familiar with the history between those two, may not have appreciated that episode as much; some may even have described it as "crap" because of the dialogue.

In case you were not aware, the lead writer (also the showrunner) is changing at the end of this next series (just as Peter Capaldi is departing).

(We have discussed this, & many other topics, in our dedicated thread)

Perhaps appointing an actor that can portray a more comedic persona may be what the new writing team will be pursuing.

That said, Peter Capaldi has demonstrated his ability to deliver lines with great pathos including, but certainly not limited to, the humour injected into the writing. A comedian (or comedienne)-turned full-time actor (actress) may not be able to offer the wide range that Capaldi has to offer, & has demonstrated so far.

I don't envy Chris Chibnall taking over from Steven Moffat. Chris has a hard task ahead because of the high standard that will be expected of him. Perhaps the introduction of a new actor will allow a "clean break" from the offset with a new regeneration, & the potential to give The Doctor completely different characteristics & traits.

Perhaps what is most obvious is the dumbing down of language used and the complication of the plots, even if they are not complicated but appear to be so due to the language used.

I know a lot of TV now days is dumbed down, i often watch documentaries about history and find the BBC always seem to take the stand that the viewer is a idiot with no interest in the subject where as Channel 4 dont treat the viewer as completely ignorant.

Besides i mainly watch anime with subtitles and they are much more language heavy and complicated storywise to the extent of being lost on you if miss a few episodes.

See they are banging on again about giving the job to a female, what part of Time LORD do they fail to understand.

BBC loses more Doctors than NHS. I liked him shame but they never last long. Either the Doctor
or the assistant.

RAFAVDV

See they are banging on again about giving the job to a female, what part … See they are banging on again about giving the job to a female, what part of Time LORD do they fail to understand.

The Master regenerated into Missy ("The Mistress"; & she will also feature in the new series [that starts on 15 April 2017]).

Also see comment #30 in this thread:
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…594 ]

fanpages

The Master regenerated into Missy

Did he?

fanpages

The Master regenerated into Missy

Rubisco

Did he?

Probably seen on somebody's DeviantArt account.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition61630
    2. Chat magazine issue 4312
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers22
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 41 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions