Found 8th Nov 2016
Oppo ice cream have launched this petition.. Personally, I think nothing is bad/ causes obesity/ all other diseases, in moderation.

We’re departing from the normal Oppo news, because we want to stand back to make a wider point.
There's a problem in the food industry.
It's cheaper to buy food which is packed full of sugar than healthy food that’s not. Everyone loves their favourite sweet treats, so consumption of sugary food isn't set to change any time soon. This is contributing to the obesity crisis in the UK.
Unless we do something.
We'd like to share an ambitious project with you before we launch it publicly in January.
Here goes.
We are petitioning the government to cut VAT on food with a reduced sugar nutrition claim to the reduced rate of 5%. Reductions from the standard 20% rate are typically granted when there is a social benefit for doing so. There is a clear benefit here. We are aiming for 10,000 signatures before January.
Your signature will enable us to deliver the petition to the Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond and help make it cheaper for us all to buy food that contains reduced sugar.
Take a look and sign here.
#DontTaxHealthy

Top comments

Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, biscuits, & sweets.

That said, I would like to see Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products at lower prices too.

Also the removal of Aspartame from every product.

26 Comments

Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, biscuits, & sweets.

That said, I would like to see Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products at lower prices too.

Also the removal of Aspartame from every product.

Sugar and salt are preservatives, so is a low sugar item higher in salt?

Its also a binding agent so any reduction in vat for reduced sugar ready meals would unfairly discriminate against gluten free foods which often use sugar syrups as a binding agent in place of gluten.

Finally I certainly dont think we should be encouraging artificial sweetener such as aspartame which are worse for you then sugar.

landros1

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixs7-j5JnQAhVUOMAKHU9pBqEQFgggMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fp%2Fchancellor-of-the-exchequer-cut-vat-on-food-with-reduced-sugar-dont-tax-healthy&usg=AFQjCNE5eIMgIMP_0_H84UH4yE8yZFlFCA&sig2=9348HqSDO1LbJetHteEHqQ

Don't sugarcoat it:

[ change.org/p/c…thy ]

Original Poster

I object to my choice being interfered with. What the... With the, when all the soft drinks became ' sugar free'? My point is that they are not 'sugar free', they are ' artificial sweetener added'. And who is anyone to take my free choice away?

Original Poster

fanpages

Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, … Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, biscuits, & sweets.That said, I would like to see Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products at lower prices too.Also the removal of Aspartame from every product.

Agree. Since when were - potatoes, onions, carrots, apples and bananas expensive?

fanpages

Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, … Fruit & vegetables can be cheaper than chocolate, cakes, crisps, biscuits, & sweets.That said, I would like to see Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products at lower prices too.Also the removal of Aspartame from every product.

​is gluten free food better for you?

davewave

They are if you're a celiac

Error440

They are if you're a celiac

hardly a requirement for the majority who aren't and its the current trend to eat foods with a 'free' suffix because it must be better for you?!

Error440

Sugar and salt are preservatives, so is a low sugar item higher in … Sugar and salt are preservatives, so is a low sugar item higher in salt?Its also a binding agent so any reduction in vat for reduced sugar ready meals would unfairly discriminate against gluten free foods which often use sugar syrups as a binding agent in place of gluten. Finally I certainly dont think we should be encouraging artificial sweetener such as aspartame which are worse for you then sugar.

Aspartame is not worse for you than sugar - absolute myth!

nhs.uk/Liv…spx

Aspartame has been extremely controversial since its approval for use by several European countries in the 1980s. A 1996 report suggested a link between aspartame and an increase in the number of diagnosed brain tumours. However, the study had very little scientific basis and later studies showed that aspartame was in fact safe to consume.
The European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences published several long-term studies in 2006 and 2007 linking the consumption of aspartame with an increase in cancers – namely lymphomas and leukaemias – in rats.
Following these studies, the US National Cancer Institute conducted a study of nearly half a million people, comparing those who consumed drinks containing aspartame with those who did not. Results of the 2006 study (PDF, 87kb) found aspartame did not increase the risk of leukaemia, lymphoma or brain cancer.
In 2013 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) conducted a comprehensive review of the evidence (PDF, 2.25Mb) and concluded that aspartame was safe for human consumption, including pregnant women and children.
In digestion, aspartame is quickly and completely broken down into by-products – including phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol – which then enter our system through normal routes. Hardly any aspartame enters the bloodstream.

Making healthy options cheaper and unhealthier options more expensive wont change anything. People cant eat very healthy very cheaply they dont because they want to eat **** and theyve been brainwashed and brought up on that ****.

fanpages

I think you need to educate yourself on some of the myths around Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products - you shouldnt necessarily use these without a proven intolerance.

Programme linked below
With food avoidance now officially a mainstream phenomenon, cutting out gluten, sugar and dairy has become second nature to many. But is this new wave of 'health-conscious' poster girls really promoting the best way to eat, or are the pretty pictures hiding an uglier truth?

Grace dives hashtag first into the whitewashed world of clean eating. She vlogs her attempts to change her diet and meets with dieticians, YouTubers and those whose desire for health has become an unhealthy obsession. She investigates the claims many gurus swear by and questions whether we should be listening to them at all.

fanpages

davewave

I think you need to educate yourself on some of the myths around … I think you need to educate yourself on some of the myths around Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products - you shouldnt necessarily use these without a proven intolerance...

Just stop there. I am fine with my diagnosis, thank you.

fanpages

davewave

I think you need to educate yourself on some of the myths around … I think you need to educate yourself on some of the myths around Gluten/Wheat-free & Dairy/Lactose-free products - you shouldnt necessarily use these without a proven intolerance...

Good for you, although many people are diagnosing themselves via non-professionals' advice, wellness bloggers etc.

I am cynical about petitions started by commercial enterprises, there's always a hidden agenda.

fanpages

davewave

fanpages

davewave

Good for you, although many people are diagnosing themselves via … Good for you, although many people are diagnosing themselves via non-professionals' advice, wellness bloggers etc.

Advice for others, then.

scottishagate

I am cynical about petitions started by commercial enterprises, there's … I am cynical about petitions started by commercial enterprises, there's always a hidden agenda.

hidden?! they want to be cheaper

scottishagate

I am cynical about petitions started by commercial enterprises, there's … I am cynical about petitions started by commercial enterprises, there's always a hidden agenda.

the agenda isn't hidden, it's in clear view.
they want the VAT on their product reduced, so they can charge the same price for their product with a higher profit margin.

fanpages

davewave

I'm not. They can diagnose me all they like, I'd rather put up with the ill effects X)

Mine are not as serious as some though.

moneysavingkitten

I'm not. They can diagnose me all they like, I'd rather put up with the … I'm not. They can diagnose me all they like, I'd rather put up with the ill effects X)Mine are not as serious as some though.

My dad was like that too - the pleasure of a beer or a pizza was worth the 'dicky tummy'.
He passed away a few years ago aged 56 due to refractory celiac disease.
For genuine sufferers, it's best not taken lightly.

fanpages

moneysavingkitten

I'm not. They can diagnose me all they like, I'd rather put up with the … I'm not. They can diagnose me all they like, I'd rather put up with the ill effects X)Mine are not as serious as some though.

fivegoldstars

My dad was like that too - the pleasure of a beer or a pizza was worth … My dad was like that too - the pleasure of a beer or a pizza was worth the 'dicky tummy'.He passed away a few years ago aged 56 due to refractory celiac disease.For genuine sufferers, it's best not taken lightly.

Nope. Those kinds of ill effects are one possible outcome for me. I have another that could be life-threatening in the wrong environment.

I do like beer & pizza though

That reminds me... I have some more (alcohol-related) treats for you, msk

davewave

Yes

fivegoldstars

My dad was like that too - the pleasure of a beer or a pizza was worth … My dad was like that too - the pleasure of a beer or a pizza was worth the 'dicky tummy'.He passed away a few years ago aged 56 due to refractory celiac disease.For genuine sufferers, it's best not taken lightly.

I'm very sorry to hear that your Dad passed away fivegoldstars I wasn't meaning to make light of celiac disease.

I've been diagnosed as intolerant and banned from eating various things, but they don't (yet?) think celiac. How you put your Dad feeling about it is how I feel about it really, perhaps I should take it more seriously.

fanpages

moneysavingkitten

fivegoldstars

Pizza is the hardest thing

Really? You're not trying to get me drunk are you FP?

moneysavingkitten

I'm very sorry to hear that your Dad passed away fivegoldstars I … I'm very sorry to hear that your Dad passed away fivegoldstars I wasn't meaning to make light of celiac disease. I've been diagnosed as intolerant and banned from eating various things, but they don't (yet?) think celiac. How you put your Dad feeling about it is how I feel about it really, perhaps I should take it more seriously.

Sorry, perhaps that was clumsily worded. I wasn't suggesting that you were making light of it - I was saying that it's a disease not to be messed with; sufferers need to respect the condition.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.1518
    2. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?65
    3. Toyota verso camera22
    4. Suggest tablet replacement for a Lenovo Yoga 2 8.022

See more discussions