Groups

Petition regarding Military Death

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to ensure that all announcements of a Military death are witheld from the Media until the Next of Kin are informed

petitions.pm.gov.uk/NOK…ed/petitions.pm.gov.uk/NOK…ed/

Please sign!
    Media reports of military deaths, before Next Of Kin have been informed, are both insensitive and abhorrent. Yet they are happening more frequently with every tragedy.
    To find out that your loved one has died, through a news item on the TV, radio or internet is the most devastating experience anyone could have. In many cases to find out this way is more traumatic than the news of a tragic death itself.
    Respect for the bereaved needs to take precedence over and above what the media deems newsworthy. It is therefore suggested that the Government request a complete media blackout on such news until the Next of Kin have been contacted appropriately and are fully aware of the situation.

13 Comments

That must be a horrible way to find out if a family member has died. Shame it does not cover more circumstances as well. Signing it now :thumbsup:

doesn't the NOK get informed first anyway? Hence the reason it takes a few days before the person is named

Original Poster

mightyreds

doesn't the NOK get informed first anyway? Hence the reason it takes a … doesn't the NOK get informed first anyway? Hence the reason it takes a few days before the person is named

No unfortunatly they dont always get informed first, seems that the media cannot wait to publish it!

I always thought that the military didnt release the name until they had informed the NOK...

BBC site today...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

NOK have been informed and the person's name still has not been released. Guess some are different.

and another a few days before...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

The family of the soldier, who has not been named, have been informed.

Signed

lynsey, MoD don't release names till after nest of kin have been informed, that is fact, well as long as they can help it, unless media were attached to the detail of that dead soldier or info was leaked, both cases in which the MoD can't help it, all information on dead service(wo)men is kept secret bar the knowledge of another death in Iraq/Afghanistan...

I totally agree with the suggestion but as pointed out by logical this is already the case.
    I really wish people would check their facts before posting petition requests on this site. They are a great way to misinform people (which is probably partly what the petition creators want them to do).

If you want to blame someone, blame the irresponsible tabloid press AND the people that buy those papers.

logical_zombie

lynsey, MoD don't release names till after nest of kin have been … lynsey, MoD don't release names till after nest of kin have been informed, that is fact, well as long as they can help it, unless media were attached to the detail of that dead soldier or info was leaked, both cases in which the MoD can't help it, all information on dead service(wo)men is kept secret bar the knowledge of another death in Iraq/Afghanistan...

Totally agree!....at least someone on here talks facts!

Original Poster

Firstly i would like to point out that they do not always inform next of kin first, my other half is in the forces and he is aware on many occasions where this has not been the case.
    The petition is aimed at the government to put pressure on the press to stop such leakeges!
    I have my facts right, due the condition of a company im working along side a lot of research has been done into this.
    Yet again, sign if you want to.. if you dont fair enough

Not wishing to stir things up, but I was in the Army for 22 years, & during this time was involved with Casualty Reporting (this includes deaths).

The procedure (which is strictly followed - there is a book that says exactly what has to be done, in waht order, & when) is that personal details are not released until after the NOK have been informed. Furthermore, the NOK have the opportunity to request a 'cooling off' period before the details are released to the media, to allow them to notify other family members/come to terms with the sad news etc.

In instances where the media release the details first this is not by design, but by accident. As an example, during the Falklands War the Navy's NOK details were hopelessly inaccurate, causing no end of grief as people were told that thier son had died, then the media were told that they could release the datails, only to find that the wrong people had been told so the real NOK hadn't been told & they found out about their son's death from the news, or from reporters knocking on their door.

Speaking for the Army (as that's where my knowledge lies), the Army takes NOK details very seriously indeed (specifically as a result of the Falklands), such that everyone is required to confirm their NOK details at least once a year; they are also required to notify any changes as soon as possible e.g. getting married, divorced (it's an offence not to do so), and regardless of when the details were last confirmed they are confirmed before every detachment/operation.

As lynsey78 says, sign if you want to, don't sign if you don't want to, but in this case I think the petition will achieve nothing, as there's nothing to be achieved.

Original Poster

I would just like to point out that, yes they are very strict on the NOK being informed first - but unfortunatly the press do leak things. I was discussing this with my husband who is in the marines last night and it was only last week where another soldier was killed in action and unfortunalty the NOK were not informed before the press publicised the attack. The MOD had asked them to wait but they didnt. So yes, 80-90% of the time they get it right, however there are cases when the press release information about attacks and soldiers being killed. Imagine if you had a member of family out there and reading in the paper someone killed and not knowing if its your son or daughter?? The petition is asking the press not to release any information at all until NOK have been informed as it is stressful times enough but to read of an attack and to not know if your family are involved because NOK havent currenly been informed is awful.
    Example:- With Deepest Sympathy - 7th July 2007

I'm very sorry to report that a British Soldier has been killed in Iraq, and even more sorry that the news has been released without next of kin being informed.

This is the report from the BBC -

'A British soldier has been killed and three others wounded in three separate incidents around Basra, the Ministry of Defence has said.
    About 1,000 troops are said to have been involved in the fighting.

Soldiers came under attack from machine gun and rocket propelled grenades, and encountered several roadside bombs.

The dead soldier was part of a Warrior vehicle patrol in the Tuninah district of the city, a spokesman said. Next of kin have yet to be informed.'

So basically anyone who has a son that was part of that patrol would be worried sick wondering if the dead soldier was there son!

cis_groupie

Not wishing to stir things up, but I was in the Army for 22 years, & … Not wishing to stir things up, but I was in the Army for 22 years, & during this time was involved with Casualty Reporting (this includes deaths).The procedure (which is strictly followed - there is a book that says exactly what has to be done, in waht order, & when) is that personal details are not released until after the NOK have been informed. Furthermore, the NOK have the opportunity to request a 'cooling off' period before the details are released to the media, to allow them to notify other family members/come to terms with the sad news etc.In instances where the media release the details first this is not by design, but by accident. As an example, during the Falklands War the Navy's NOK details were hopelessly inaccurate, causing no end of grief as people were told that thier son had died, then the media were told that they could release the datails, only to find that the wrong people had been told so the real NOK hadn't been told & they found out about their son's death from the news, or from reporters knocking on their door. Speaking for the Army (as that's where my knowledge lies), the Army takes NOK details very seriously indeed (specifically as a result of the Falklands), such that everyone is required to confirm their NOK details at least once a year; they are also required to notify any changes as soon as possible e.g. getting married, divorced (it's an offence not to do so), and regardless of when the details were last confirmed they are confirmed before every detachment/operation.As lynsey78 says, sign if you want to, don't sign if you don't want to, but in this case I think the petition will achieve nothing, as there's nothing to be achieved.

And as a fellow army personnel, i agree with you. Yes the press can print various details but they CANNOT print the name and personal details of ANY forces member without the NOK being informed!
    Lindsay the example you are providing is basically proving what i am saying...the name was not given (because its not allowed to be) although basic guess work from the journalist can provide a story.

Original Poster

If people read my origional post they would see that is what the petition is for!!
    We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to ensure that all announcements of a Military death are witheld from the Media until the Next of Kin are informed
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4492109
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?35194
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846346
      4. What is there free to do in your town?2443

See more discussions