link below

74 Comments

Original Poster

Edited by: "KM4353" 17th Nov 2016

No no no

seems fair.

Signed

Definitely not signed

Lol it sounds like a bitter child typed the wording for that petition.

Have you considered that cyclists may also have a driving licence?

Also, isn't road tax based on emissions? Wouldn't bicycles be exempt?

Banned

yes all bikes that use the public highway should have insurance.And before you slate me I ride a bike as well.there are some idiot cyclist's out there.

RossD89

Have you considered that cyclists may also have a driving licence?Also, … Have you considered that cyclists may also have a driving licence?Also, isn't road tax based on emissions? Wouldn't bicycles be exempt?

Can't see the significance of having a driving licence.
    Motorcycle road tax isn't emission based.

RossD89

Have you considered that cyclists may also have a driving licence?Also, … Have you considered that cyclists may also have a driving licence?Also, isn't road tax based on emissions? Wouldn't bicycles be exempt?

Just like having to sit your theory and your practical test to obtain a … Just like having to sit your theory and your practical test to obtain a driving license, Cyclists should have to do the same. What training have they had to use the road safely?

From the petition:

So quite significant in terms of what the petition is asking.
    Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Nov 2016

But cyclists - like everyone else - pay council tax and income tax, which pays for the provision of public services including roads.

Insurance, possibly. Tax? No way.

I'm not paying three times lol, I pay for the roads(income/council tax), I pay for my car (excise duty)
    Edited by: "airfix" 17th Nov 2016

RossD89

Also, isn't road tax based on emissions? Wouldn't bicycles be exempt?

Depends if the rider has had brussel sprouts that day or not really

Anyway I think the government are trying to get more people cycling not less so doubtful this would be popular.
    Edited by: "Zek" 17th Nov 2016

insurance may be a good idea, as it is dangerous on the roads, but it would be good if we lived in a country that encouraged cycle use

The public roads used by motor vehicles are becoming unsafe to use due to … The public roads used by motor vehicles are becoming unsafe to use due to one particular community that feel they are eligible to cycle on public UK roads.

Ah, so cars never crash when cyclists aren't involved. We all just need to be a bit more courteous, I think that's the solution.

Perhaps there would be less fat people if more cycled?

I hope not, i use my bike on my holidays to get me from pub to pub. But on my way home i tend to stick to the footpaths.

I'm not sure my 12 year old could afford it and there's no way my 3 year old could pass a writen test
    now if this was for making ALL cyclests any age have to wear a helmet then I would be in 100%

miles136

insurance may be a good idea, as it is dangerous on the roads, but it … insurance may be a good idea, as it is dangerous on the roads, but it would be good if we lived in a country that encouraged cycle use

next week there'll be a thread on taxing/insurance for when you walk across the road no doubt .
    IMO tax should be based on emissions and road damage (which could be calculated according to vehicle weight/power)
    Edited by: "buddhabelly" 17th Nov 2016

RossD89

From the petition:So quite significant in terms of what the petition is … From the petition:So quite significant in terms of what the petition is asking.

But not all cyclists hold a driving licence.
    Also, just because you hold a licence to drive a car doesn't qualify you for riding a motorbike or driving a HGV so cyclists should have to take some sort of test or course.

airfix

Perhaps there would be less fat people if more cycled?

you are not fat, just easy to see

I ride and drive. I don't think it's practical for people to have to get insurance to ride a bike. How will that be policed? Things I do agree with are stiffer penalties for accidents caused by cyclists reckless behaviour. Especially those lycra muppets in London who get them selves stuck under/between busses in London. It should be mandatory to wear a helmet.

Cycling is good for the environment and good for the individuals' health. Trying to make it harder for people to take it up for wholly unscientific reasons comes off as middle aged ranting.
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 17th Nov 2016

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/438/736/f78.gif

no way

i ride to work every day im saving the planet and keeping fit! aslo buy not getting fat im not putting more starin on the nhs ..

so you want me to pay for this ....

how much do people ridding bikes save the nhs

love to see how they would police it ...

police facing massive cuts and dont even turn up of your house has been robbed ...

chasing people on bikes for road tax come on .

NEVER HAPPEN

Insurance of some kind would be good. I had an idiot arguing with a car driver and looking behind him end up in my back window. Was too shocked and worried about him to ask for his details. Probably wouldn't have paid anyway!

I think some sort of road test yes, insurance would be a good thing as I have seen cyclists cause accidents myself but isn't this law going to apply to everyone? How will this effect young children? No to road tax though! We should abolish road tax altogether and put extra on fuel.
    Edited by: "mrman007" 17th Nov 2016

mrman007

I think some sort of road test yes, insurance would be a good thing as I … I think some sort of road test yes, insurance would be a good thing as I have seen cyclists cause accidents myself but isn't this law going to apply to everyone? How will this effect young children? No to road tax though! We should abolish road tax altogether and put extra on fuel.

Perhaps a ban? & if they get caught a second time, a few days in the big house might make them think twice about re offending!

I cycle and i have cycle insurance and a driving licence which is more than a lot of car drivers but to say cyclists should pay extra tax is moronic,if anything they should be getting tax breaks from the government to promote a healthier lifestyle.

They should have insurance, someone was killed recently by a cyclist.

I've signed it, great idea.

I don't agree with the tax part, but I think they should have insurance.

And how would this be policed? Each bicycle would need to have some form of registration. So the shiny new bike you buy your kid for xmas couldn't be used until it was registered?

Next we will be looking for each individual person to hold a public liability insurance for any mishaps we may have.

Sebas111

And how would this be policed? Each bicycle would need to have some form … And how would this be policed? Each bicycle would need to have some form of registration. So the shiny new bike you buy your kid for xmas couldn't be used until it was registered? Next we will be looking for each individual person to hold a public liability insurance for any mishaps we may have.

Exactly. Plus it would be sending entirely the wrong message about health and the environment.

This has no chance of being adopted.

I think anyone who uses public roads on or in a wheeled mode of transport (including bikes and mobility scooters) should have insurance. There should also be stiffer penalties if people flout the law by not adhering to road traffic laws (red light offences, driving in cycle lanes etc). This would make it safer for kids and pedestrians all round too. I do think all vehicles should have a registration number or plate so people can be held more accountable for their actions.

I don't, however, think vehicle excise charges would be appropriate for bicycles.

momartin

I think anyone who uses public roads on or in a wheeled mode of transport … I think anyone who uses public roads on or in a wheeled mode of transport (including bikes and mobility scooters) should have insurance. There should also be stiffer penalties if people flout the law by not adhering to road traffic laws (red light offences, driving in cycle lanes etc). This would make it safer for kids and pedestrians all round too. I do think all vehicles should have a registration number or plate so people can be held more accountable for their actions. I don't, however, think vehicle excise charges would be appropriate for bicycles.

But without taxing bicycles etc, who would foot the bill for the administration of the registration of all bikes in the way the DVLA do with motor vehicles?

What if a bike is sold? A bike is a much smaller asset than a car etc and would people really go through the rigmarole of having to change a bike into their name when they've bought it for £20 off someone on facebook?

In my opinion, and that is all it is, this is something which is nigh on impossible to police.

MrPerks

I'm not sure my 12 year old could afford it and there's no way my 3 year … I'm not sure my 12 year old could afford it and there's no way my 3 year old could pass a writen testnow if this was for making ALL cyclests any age have to wear a helmet then I would be in 100%

tbf your 3 year old could probably beat you in a spelling test though X)

Sebas111

And how would this be policed? Each bicycle would need to have some form … And how would this be policed? Each bicycle would need to have some form of registration. So the shiny new bike you buy your kid for xmas couldn't be used until it was registered? Next we will be looking for each individual person to hold a public liability insurance for any mishaps we may have.

The individual bike wouldn't need to be insured, just the rider. You wouldn't need to register the bike then.

stuarthanley

The individual bike wouldn't need to be insured, just the rider. You … The individual bike wouldn't need to be insured, just the rider. You wouldn't need to register the bike then.

We have a childhood obesity problem. We need kids to be more active.

You want to charge people more money to ride a bike.

Even you must see why this won't happen. X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

We have a childhood obesity problem. We need kids to be more active.You … We have a childhood obesity problem. We need kids to be more active.You want to charge people more money to ride a bike. Even you must see why this won't happen. X)

We also have issues with fossil fuel and pollution in the environment but we still have to be insured to drive an electric car.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      2. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118

See more discussions