Groups
    EXPIRED

Petrol 1.6 vs Diesel 1.8

Looking for a new car and a little unsure whether or not to go for a 1.8 diesel this time instead of a 1.6 petrol which we have had for four years.

What are the pros and cons of a diesel?
    Would a 1.8 have a bigger appetite?

We do around 300 miles a week and 150 of that is motorway. The 1.6 petrol is fine at the moment but I've had people saying diesel gives more MPG and a 1.8 is much better for the motorway as it means more power less fuel consumption.

I don't want to buy a 1.8 diesel then realise I've made a big mistake.

Would like to hear from people who have diesel 1.8 and drive on the motorway regularly.

17 Comments

diesel will give you a lot better mpg I'd cruising on the motorway and doing long distances. I have a old 2.0 mondeo diesel and normally get over 50 mpg on a 25 mile trip each way to work and that's with some heavy right foot.

Have had diesel cars for years and they are fine if a little slower than the equivalent petrol car.

A 1.8 diesel would be ideal for your mileage. I have a 1.6 eco stop/start Mondeo and that has been great too.

Diesel cars will be made illegal eventually. Before that you will find that they'll be banned from entering big cities. Diesel fuel will become harder to find and mothers with young children will regularly spit at you in the street.

I have a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo (having come from a 1.6 Petrol Focus) and i can honestly say i definitely made the right choice. I do similar mileage to you and the fuel lasts a lot longer in the Mondeo than my focus did. Its a no brainier in your scenario, the Diesel is the better choice (for economy reasons)

Also seems to be a lot more torque with diesel engines once in 3rd gear and above

For motorway defo Diesel, A few negatives, If something goes wrong on a diesel it usually costs more to fix, Turbo's can be £1000 fitted for a new one, As diesel is dirtier things like injectors can clog up easier etc... but in general they are usually pretty reliable.

Town driving in a diesel is a bad idea, Lot's of stop start causes turbo, egr etc to clog up, Along with DPF etc... You have to thrash them a little and motorways are the ideal place.

They should be religiously serviced and on time and they can run forever.

Diesels also take longer to warm up and friction happens more on cold engines, Hence stop/start town driving bad.

Petrol advantages are they are generally cheaper to fix, quieter, quicker etc.. Start easier in a morning, warm up faster ok for stop/start.

Do not use stop/start technology, In time it will wear the starter motor, battery, flywheel etc...

As said above, diesels are becoming as unpopular as smoking and you could find fuel prices going up. They are already talking about banning diesel vehicles from cities. Road tax on diesel vehicles will soar soon.
    If your happy with the petrol mpg, in my opinion stick with petrol.
    The particulate filter on diesels are becoming an issue too, many are having to be replaced which is costly, you don't have this issue with a petrol car.

I've gone from a 1.8 petrol Mondeo to a 1.6 diesel Civic.

Fuel consumption has gone from 34 mpg to 65mpg average.
    The Civic is also much quicker than the Mondeo.

I do 300 miles a week just commuting to work.

I prefer the low down torque of a diesel, but as Shauneco says, there are lots of expensive things that can go wrong.

Bobbajob

I've gone from a 1.8 petrol Mondeo to a 1.6 diesel Civic.Fuel consumption … I've gone from a 1.8 petrol Mondeo to a 1.6 diesel Civic.Fuel consumption has gone from 34 mpg to 65mpg average.The Civic is also much quicker than the Mondeo. I do 300 miles a week just commuting to work.I prefer the low down torque of a diesel, but as Shauneco says, there are lots of expensive things that can go wrong.

Difference is, you're now driving a Honda, not a Ford - so don't worry about reliability.

moob

Difference is, you're now driving a Honda, not a Ford - so don't worry … Difference is, you're now driving a Honda, not a Ford - so don't worry about reliability.

Touch wood.

Fuel costs are only part of your outlay. Depreciation can be a bigger issue. If the 'bad mouthing' of diesel engine cars gathers traction the resale values could plummet, wiping out any fuel savings you may have made.

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input.

Our Ford Focus 1.6 petrol gives 35 mpg. If the 1.8 diesel can give more than that then that's amazing.

How do I find out the mpg of a vehicle?

speedy2014

Thank you everyone for your input.Our Ford Focus 1.6 petrol gives 35 mpg. … Thank you everyone for your input.Our Ford Focus 1.6 petrol gives 35 mpg. If the 1.8 diesel can give more than that then that's amazing.How do I find out the mpg of a vehicle?

Real life figures - honestjohn.co.uk/rea…pg/

Original Poster

shauneco

For motorway defo Diesel, A few negatives, If something goes wrong on a … For motorway defo Diesel, A few negatives, If something goes wrong on a diesel it usually costs more to fix, Turbo's can be £1000 fitted for a new one, As diesel is dirtier things like injectors can clog up easier etc... but in general they are usually pretty reliable.Town driving in a diesel is a bad idea, Lot's of stop start causes turbo, egr etc to clog up, Along with DPF etc... You have to thrash them a little and motorways are the ideal place.They should be religiously serviced and on time and they can run forever.Diesels also take longer to warm up and friction happens more on cold engines, Hence stop/start town driving bad.Petrol advantages are they are generally cheaper to fix, quieter, quicker etc.. Start easier in a morning, warm up faster ok for stop/start.Do not use stop/start technology, In time it will wear the starter motor, battery, flywheel etc...

I'm coming back to this thread as I have seen a diesel I am interested in.

What did you mean by 'stop start technology'

speedy2014

I'm coming back to this thread as I have seen a diesel I am interested … I'm coming back to this thread as I have seen a diesel I am interested in.What did you mean by 'stop start technology'

Those engines that automatically cut engine out in traffic until you lift the clutch etc. A few theories suggest that the saving in fuel etc would be worth it in the long run. Apparently start/stop technology will only work when engines warmed up and battery is ok so it's probably not as bad an idea as I stated but I'm still not convinced, Especially on a used car.

Original Poster

shauneco

Those engines that automatically cut engine out in traffic until you lift … Those engines that automatically cut engine out in traffic until you lift the clutch etc. A few theories suggest that the saving in fuel etc would be worth it in the long run. Apparently start/stop technology will only work when engines warmed up and battery is ok so it's probably not as bad an idea as I stated but I'm still not convinced, Especially on a used car.

Thanks for that
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tower Hill - Explosion reported..11
      2. One thing you've forgotten1721
      3. Bearded chat1223
      4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407243

See more discussions