Groups
    EXPIRED

Petrol Refund

Banned
    Got into a bit of a row at a petrol station over a transaction.
    If this were for some other goods or services, I could quite easily return them for a refund or exchange.
    However, it strikes me that there probably isn't much one can do about getting a refund on petrol.

Or is there?

72 Comments

It sort of sounds like you're after some advice. If so, You could probably do with giving some specific details.

Somehow, you've asked a question, without actually asking a question.

Care to give a bit more information so we can advise further?

Why do you need a refund on your petrol. Was it one of those machine that charge more for a litre than advertised?

Or did you put petrol in you diesel motor and want an exchange :).

Original Poster Banned

Well the background probably isn't that relevant to this. There isn't anything wrong with the petrol as such. It's more of an issue with the establishment that sold it to me and about taking my custom elsewhere.

I'm wondering if there are any circumstances where one can claim a refund on petrol from the place that sold it to you.
    Given that I can return most other products to a retailer for a refund or an exchange, usually without a quibble, I have just realised that there doesn't appear to be a similar process that applies to returning petrol for a refund.

Or is there?

Villa

Well the background probably isn't that relevant to this. There isn't … Well the background probably isn't that relevant to this. There isn't anything wrong with the petrol as such. It's more of an issue with the establishment that sold it to me and about taking my custom elsewhere.I'm wondering if there are any circumstances where one can claim a refund on petrol from the place that sold it to you.Given that I can return most other products to a retailer for a refund or an exchange, usually without a quibble, I have just realised that there doesn't appear to be a similar process that applies to returning petrol for a refund.Or is there?

Its more to do with the way the customer stores the petrol i.e. petrol tank. the difficulty you would have of removing the petrol in combination with the hazardous goods regulations. The cost would far out weigh the price of a tank of petrol.

Villa

Well the background probably isn't that relevant to this. There isn't … Well the background probably isn't that relevant to this. There isn't anything wrong with the petrol as such. It's more of an issue with the establishment that sold it to me and about taking my custom elsewhere.I'm wondering if there are any circumstances where one can claim a refund on petrol from the place that sold it to you.Given that I can return most other products to a retailer for a refund or an exchange, usually without a quibble, I have just realised that there doesn't appear to be a similar process that applies to returning petrol for a refund.Or is there?

Just no - you've paid for the petrol and began using it. Can you prove the petrol was faulty? Probably not because it probably isn't.

From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer (the price for the petrol) which you then accepted by paying for it. Therefore, you've formed a contract. Unless there's something wrong with the petrol then no.

It would be impossible to give the petrol back, once you have put it into your car, thus you can't obtain a refund.

Villa

does the petrol you bought actually do the job it was intended for?
    if it does I would think you can't even if you are unhappy with the service you received.

Villa

It doesn't appear you have an issue with the product, therefore you wouldn't be entitled to a refund.

Can you return the goods for a refund, answer no, therefore you have your answer!

i used a faulty pump once which didn't cut out and spilt onto the forecourt
    i told them it wasn't fair for me to pay for the black gold i didn't use, but they couldn't do anything about the petrol, so knocked a quid off my groceries
    getting a refund due to change of heart based on moral objection is probably a no-go though

is this a joke or is someone really asking if they can return petrol in their tank for a refund? oO

You say you got into a bit of a row? What about exactly?

Banned

Villa

the fact some store give refund if you change your mind is down to the stores 'good will' if the item is not faulty they are under no obligation to refund you, if you simply change your mind!

Banned

chocci

is this a joke or is someone really asking if they can return petrol in … is this a joke or is someone really asking if they can return petrol in their tank for a refund? oO

ah! The all knowing chocci has spoken!

Sounds like the OP was fuming..

Villa

I am wondering if you are being serious or just wasting our time! NO you can't return petrol as I assume it would have mixed with whatever other petrol was in the tank at the time.

Original Poster Banned

rikkif1990

From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer (the … From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer (the price for the petrol) which you then accepted by paying for it. Therefore, you've formed a contract. Unless there's something wrong with the petrol then no.

moob

It doesn't appear you have an issue with the product, therefore you … It doesn't appear you have an issue with the product, therefore you wouldn't be entitled to a refund.

I once bought a jumper from Debenhams but took it back the next day for a full refund even though there was nothing wrong with it.

Original Poster Banned

P_nnyPinch_r

You say you got into a bit of a row? What about exactly?

The guy behind the screen was being a total **** and was asking for a smack in the gob basically.
    At this stage I hadn't even paid for the fuel, but was patiently waiting for him to finish chatting to the girl next to him about some irrelevant personal life rubbish.
    Anywhere else, I would have just put the item back on the shelf and walked off. Unfortunately this does not seem possible with fuel.
    Edited by: "Villa" 3rd Dec 2014

rikkif1990

From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer … From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer (the price for the petrol) which you then accepted by paying for it. Therefore, you've formed a contract. Unless there's something wrong with the petrol then no.

moob

It doesn't appear you have an issue with the product, therefore you … It doesn't appear you have an issue with the product, therefore you wouldn't be entitled to a refund.

Villa

damo1972

the fact some store give refund if you change your mind is down to the … the fact some store give refund if you change your mind is down to the stores 'good will' if the item is not faulty they are under no obligation to refund you, if you simply change your mind!

The OP is just GASSING

Villa

The guy behind the screen was being a total **** and was asking for a … The guy behind the screen was being a total **** and was asking for a smack in the gob basically.At this stage I hadn't even paid for the fuel, but was patiently waiting for him to finish chatting to the girl next to him about some irrelevant personal life rubbish.Anywhere else, I would have just put the item back on the shelf and walked off. Unfortunately this does not seem possible with fuel.

Seriously? That's it? What on earth sort of response did you expect from here??

rikkif1990

From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer … From a contract law perspective, you've been presented with an offer (the price for the petrol) which you then accepted by paying for it. Therefore, you've formed a contract. Unless there's something wrong with the petrol then no.

moob

That's a completely different scenario with different rules. I don't think you're understanding this, rather that or you're just trolling/bored.

Edited by: "rikkif1990" 3rd Dec 2014

One assumes that the best you can salvage from the situation is a letter of complaint to the manager/company stating your issue and then fuelling elsewhere in the future.

Original Poster Banned

ipswich78

Seriously? That's it? What on earth sort of response did you expect from … Seriously? That's it? What on earth sort of response did you expect from here??

Well given that I was forced to pay for the fuel I had put in my car, despite being given ridiculously bad customer service, I feel aggrieved.
    If the product had been anything other than fuel, I could have put it back and walked off. In this case I was forced to go through with the transaction despite the staff being a bunch of knobs, who were clearly loving the situation whereby they had peed me off AND they were getting money from me after that.
    I want my money back, and I want to know how.
    I also want to know what would happen had I just driven away without paying - I bet the police would not see my point of view.

This whole thing seems unfair and appears to be a loophole whereby you cannot get a refund on a product, or indeed cancel a transaction before it is completed.

Villa

Well given that I was forced to pay for the fuel I had put in my car, … Well given that I was forced to pay for the fuel I had put in my car, despite being given ridiculously bad customer service, I feel aggrieved. If the product had been anything other than fuel, I could have put it back and walked off. In this case I was forced to go through with the transaction despite the staff being a bunch of knobs, who were clearly loving the situation whereby they had peed me off AND they were getting money from me after that.I want my money back, and I want to know how.I also want to know what would happen had I just driven away without paying - I bet the police would not see my point of view.This whole thing seems unfair and appears to be a loophole whereby you cannot get a refund on a product, or indeed cancel a transaction before it is completed.

I really wouldn't bother getting wound up about it. You have hit the nail on the head it's unfair and that's it. Not illegal or anything similar, your gripe isn't with the product that you bought it is at the service that was given so why should you be eligible for a refund?

If you really want to waste your time pursuing this write a formal letter of complaint then leave it and see what happens.
    Edited by: "ipswich78" 3rd Dec 2014

Banned

Villa

You are only entitled to return goods if they are faulty.

Villa

Well given that I was forced to pay for the fuel I had put in my car, … Well given that I was forced to pay for the fuel I had put in my car, despite being given ridiculously bad customer service, I feel aggrieved. If the product had been anything other than fuel, I could have put it back and walked off. In this case I was forced to go through with the transaction despite the staff being a bunch of knobs, who were clearly loving the situation whereby they had peed me off AND they were getting money from me after that.I want my money back, and I want to know how.I also want to know what would happen had I just driven away without paying - I bet the police would not see my point of view.This whole thing seems unfair and appears to be a loophole whereby you cannot get a refund on a product, or indeed cancel a transaction before it is completed.

The only thing thats unfair is the other people working in the service industry who have to deal with you. You sound like a nightmare on legs.

Villa

Sounds like you've been sniffing the petrol.

it is a pretty ridiculous reason, a very trivial one and definitely not one the plod, the judge, jury or executioner would be on board with!!!!!!!!! or any rational person in the world if you'd driven off.
    what if you went to a restaurant, ate all their food, then complained because the waiter was ignoring your attempts at belching because he was busy at another table. Would you regurgitate the partially digested boli and steam off in disgust, refusing to pay?
    If you feel so strongly about it, you should've just piped up at the time, demanding to be served or throwing your money down. It happens all the time. I go into newsagents at 4 in the morning and barely get an acknowledgement from the guy cos he's too busy chatting away on the phone. It's rude and it annoys the hell out of me, but at that time beggars can't be choosers, especially if I've already downed half the can of coke and let it mix with the other coke already in my tank (soda that is!)

Original Poster Banned

moob

The only thing thats unfair is the other people working in the service … The only thing thats unfair is the other people working in the service industry who have to deal with you. You sound like a nightmare on legs.

How did you manage to infer such a thing?
    I pointed out how terrible the staff were, and from that you came to the conclusion that I'm a problem for people in the service industry?

What if part of the price is a service fee? How's that for a spanner?

Villa

How did you manage to infer such a thing?I pointed out how terrible the … How did you manage to infer such a thing?I pointed out how terrible the staff were, and from that you came to the conclusion that I'm a problem for people in the service industry?

There are a few reasons, but I'll stick to the fact you appear completely unreasonable and irrational based upon your version of events.

E. G. I walk into a supermarket and the checkout girl has a bad attitude thereby providing poor customer service. It simply wouldn't enter my head to want my shopping for free because someone is having a bad day.

Villa

How did you manage to infer such a thing?I pointed out how terrible the … How did you manage to infer such a thing?I pointed out how terrible the staff were, and from that you came to the conclusion that I'm a problem for people in the service industry?

Yeah i'm with moob on this one... Not really sure what would prompt someone to come and post this on a public forum and expect to achieve.

Villa

I once bought a jumper from Debenhams but took it back the next day for a … I once bought a jumper from Debenhams but took it back the next day for a full refund even though there was nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, but you didn't rub it around the bottom of your petrol tank to get a load of crap in it before you returned it.

deeky

Yeah, but you didn't rub it around the bottom of your petrol tank to get … Yeah, but you didn't rub it around the bottom of your petrol tank to get a load of crap in it before you returned it.

How do you know he didn't?

Johnboy_1975

How do you know he didn't?

True I suppose. He could have been in a bad mood. Doubtful though, he doesn't sound the type.

ipswich78

Yeah i'm with moob on this one... Not really sure what would prompt … Yeah i'm with moob on this one... Not really sure what would prompt someone to come and post this on a public forum and expect to achieve.

+1

JamesRandall9618

Villa, you're a ****. Refund that one

Why don't you say what you mean?

Oh, second thoughts eh?

Edited by: "deeky" 3rd Dec 2014

Original Poster Banned

moob

There are a few reasons, but I'll stick to the fact you appear … There are a few reasons, but I'll stick to the fact you appear completely unreasonable and irrational based upon your version of events. E. G. I walk into a supermarket and the checkout girl has a bad attitude thereby providing poor customer service. It simply wouldn't enter my head to want my shopping for free because someone is having a bad day.

errr what?
    I wanted to walk away and not give them my custom, but because I'd already put fuel into my car, I was forced to continue the transaction and pay up, with the nasty gits grinning away sarcastically as they knew I probably didn't have any other options at this point.
    That is nothing like 'wanting my shopping for free'. I just didn't want their product at this point and as I said if this was some other item in a store, I could quite easily have left it there and walked away.
    Now please try again with how this proves that I was a problem for those in the service industry?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1616
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047171
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30121
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767408

See more discussions