Petrol: Supermarkets Vs Big boys

Posted 21st Dec 2019
Since the price drop in petrol averaging 1.189 across the supermarket stations. Why do Shell, BP, Esso and few others charging the higher rate 1.27.9?

Anyone care to share their thoughts?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
The don't have a supermarket attached to offset profits
27 Comments
The don't have a supermarket attached to offset profits
Basic loss leader pricing.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…der

Perhaps not below market cost but certainly very low profits.
As long as people buy it there's no reason for them too drop the prices. Basically everyone wants get the highest price a buyer will pay.
Greed
Some people believe supermarket fuel is watered down etc so prefer to buy branded fuel. At the end of the day if people are willing to pay then why reduce your prices. These are businesses created to make a profit!
mogsog21/12/2019 15:23

Basic loss leader pricing. …Basic loss leader pricing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leaderPerhaps not below market cost but certainly very low profits.

...is the correct answer.
Shevchenko21/12/2019 16:01

Some people believe supermarket fuel is watered down etc so prefer to buy …Some people believe supermarket fuel is watered down etc so prefer to buy branded fuel.

Some people are idiots.
I've found Sainsbury petrol good for my engine
because they can. i find BP tend to be the priciest and they still get enough custom. not everyone compare fuel price either when they top up.
mutley121/12/2019 17:03

because they can. i find BP tend to be the priciest and they still get …because they can. i find BP tend to be the priciest and they still get enough custom. not everyone compare fuel price either when they top up.

One main reason for the big boys is company fuel card.
spoo21/12/2019 16:41

...is the correct answer.Some people are idiots.

It really depends on your car and engine. I can say right now based on real life,my car binge drinks supermarket fuel. To be really the odd one, Maxol Super Unleaded is about the best my runs on, even find BP Ultimate no differ to normal branded unleaded. (Only are two Shell garages in N.Ireland never mind those that do V-Power). The difference is normally more noticeable in highly strung engines, to the normal car, not any difference. Also the normal old one, they make more profit selling you a snickers bar than £30 petrol.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Dec 2019
Time and time again no advantage has been shown from using premium fuels. Buy the cheapest you can find local.
wayners21/12/2019 20:41

Time and time again no advantage has been shown from using premium fuels. …Time and time again no advantage has been shown from using premium fuels. Buy the cheapest you can find local.

Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?. It depends on your engine.
cecilmcroberts21/12/2019 21:11

Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?.

On a previous post, a refinement engineer confirmed there is no difference. It's basically can buy more at certain rate.

Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?. It depends on your …Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?. It depends on your engine.

Ok. what fuel should I use in my F1 car then?
rimalpatel00721/12/2019 21:14

On a previous post, a refinement engineer confirmed there is no …On a previous post, a refinement engineer confirmed there is no difference. It's basically can buy more at certain rate.

They are 100% correct, they buy the same fuel. What is not the same are the additives afterwards, which remains secret to each brand to make the blend unique to that brand. Although every brand must adhere to strict tolerance levels, high performance vehicles will make that tolerance more noticeable.
rimalpatel00721/12/2019 17:07

One main reason for the big boys is company fuel card.

Far from it. Fuel card customers don’t pay the rate displayed at the pump.
It's because they can charge more. Big brands will be on A roads where as shops are usually on B roads.

95 ron is 95 ron.

If you put 98 Ron in its only beneficial if you drive like Mrs daisy.
Where is petrol 1.18?? Cheapest I have seen is 1.24.

Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?. It depends on your …Absoutle rubbish. Do you think F1 cars stop by Tesco?. It depends on your engine.

39464147-uIjXD.jpg
BTCC car, sponsored by 99RON Tesco Fuel.

It uses 100+RON race fuel.

Ferrari F1 is sponsored by Shell, so of course, Shell is the best fuel you can buy, right? According to advertisements to sway the public.

The only RON I avoid is 93 or below, and that's abroad. Or Jet (if its still going).
Satan_Claws22/12/2019 08:18

Where is petrol 1.18?? Cheapest I have seen is 1.24.

Tesco. Asda is 1.17
Shevchenko21/12/2019 16:01

Some people believe supermarket fuel is watered down etc so prefer to buy …Some people believe supermarket fuel is watered down etc so prefer to buy branded fuel. At the end of the day if people are willing to pay then why reduce your prices. These are businesses created to make a profit!

Intelligent comments are vanishingly-rare on this site.
I hope to read more of yours, thanks.

the only reason F1 cars don't get their fuel from tesco is because there is a long queue and they are in a hurry
There is little economical sense buying premium fuel ( although some Japanese sports cars require higher octane fuel ).

This guy does a good test.

Best off using cheap fuel and use additives instead.
MonkeysUncle22/12/2019 02:18

It's because they can charge more. Big brands will be on A roads where as …It's because they can charge more. Big brands will be on A roads where as shops are usually on B roads. 95 ron is 95 ron.If you put 98 Ron in its only beneficial if you drive like Mrs daisy.

A few weeks ago on a TV shopping review show they drove around race track like Mrs daisy in a slow race. Identical cars but one with premium fuel. That car traveled a few metres more than the basic fuel car, before it ran out of fuel. Waste of money paying the extra. By looks of it even on motorway you would be lucky to get over mile further on a premium tank of full
Edited by: "wayners" 22nd Dec 2019
wayners22/12/2019 13:57

A few weeks ago on a TV shopping review show they drove around race track …A few weeks ago on a TV shopping review show they drove around race track like Mrs daisy in a slow race. Identical cars but one with premium fuel. That car traveled a few metres more than the basic fuel car, before it ran out of fuel. Waste of money paying the extra. By looks of it even on motorway you would be lucky to get over mile further on a premium tank of full

Far too many variables to make them test results accurate, if you’re driving a car which has not been remapped to a specific fuel then save your money and buy the cheaper stuff
Edited by: "ajhawley1" 22nd Dec 2019
darkstryder36022/12/2019 08:50

[Image] BTCC car, sponsored by 99RON Tesco Fuel. It uses 100+RON race …[Image] BTCC car, sponsored by 99RON Tesco Fuel. It uses 100+RON race fuel. Ferrari F1 is sponsored by Shell, so of course, Shell is the best fuel you can buy, right? According to advertisements to sway the public. The only RON I avoid is 93 or below, and that's abroad. Or Jet (if its still going).

It uses carless race fuel (hyperflo) as do all BTCC.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 22nd Dec 2019
rimalpatel00722/12/2019 09:23

Tesco. Asda is 1.17

Not around here. Tesco is 1.24, as is Asda and Sainsbury's.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions