Expired

Pheonix failsafe

Found 26th Feb 2012
Purchased a Samsung Netbook N150 from PC world. It was refurbished and I have used it for 3 months without any problems.

Yesterday after windows update it shutdown and restarted and now before even getting to BIOS its asking for a 16 digit code. I don't have one, nor did I install or sign up for one. Contacted PC World and they are saying speak to samsung. Rang them and they are saying speak to Microsoft

After 6 hrs researching it appears that the last owner signed upto this anti theft service. The pheonix failsafe company no longer exist but the old service is still online Samsung.failsafe etc.. There is no way to contact them or get this sorted.

Would appreciate any help or guidance..
Community Updates
Misc
37 Comments
I would say it's up to PC world to get it sorted it's them you bought it from
jeany123

I would say it's up to PC world to get it sorted it's them you bought it … I would say it's up to PC world to get it sorted it's them you bought it from

Best bet is to go into the store face to face and demand action. I hope you have done a recent backup of all your important stuff though.
I'd re-install windows.
Can't install windows...this password comes before BIOS load up.

The failsafe obviously thinks its stolen or something but why do this after windows update?
yy126962

Can't install windows...this password comes before BIOS load up. The … Can't install windows...this password comes before BIOS load up. The failsafe obviously thinks its stolen or something but why do this after windows update?

Failsafe operates at the BIOS level and not operating system level. Since the software in the BIOS recognises a change on certain locations of the hard drive, it treats this as a breach of security since it is a check that the actual owner (and not a thief) had made a hardware modification (it treats Windows updates as a possible reason for a hardware modification).

There is nothing you can do to bypass this other than entering the correct password and I doubt PC World will know the password. Legally, I am not sure what your rights are with PC World so I am not going to give any conjectures but I think it is worth standing your ground with PC World. This is certainly not Microsoft's problem, by the way. I can't believe the clown at Samsung had advised you to contact Microsoft when the software is installed within many Samsung BIOSes.
Edited by: "ElliottC" 26th Feb 2012
The netbook is not fit for purpose, return it to Pc World.
Getting passed from pillar to post
you could remove the hard drive and hook it up to a computer then delete the phonix failsafe files and it put it back in the netbook and it might work
No that wont work because the the pheonix software puts a change in the bios chip thus disabling the motherboard.

I will have to try again with PC World. For gods sake they were the ones who supplied the refurbished laptop.

This proves that the HDD does store the info as PC World return the Netbook to factory standard. I had to go through the whole setup procedure choose language, user name, password etc..
yy126962

This proves that the HDD does store the info as PC World return the … This proves that the HDD does store the info as PC World return the Netbook to factory standard. I had to go through the whole setup procedure choose language, user name, password etc..

Not quite.

The password is stored on Flash at a lower level so even if PC World reinstalled to factory settings It would have done nothing.

There is an easy fix however;

Remove the CMOS battery momentarily and the BIOS password will essentially be forgotten. Though you'll need to crack it open to do so. It's relatively straightforward though if you know what you're doing.

You could have also cracked it if you had access to a Windows Environment but that's a no go now.
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 26th Feb 2012
Can`t you just remove the bios CMOS battery, then take out HD reformat it of a new one in.
Edited by: "timtom13" 26th Feb 2012
These are some reported backdoor passwords. Give them a shot;

- BIOS
- CMOS
- phoenix
- PHOENIX

Beware they're case sensitive though.
Shadow-360

These are some reported backdoor passwords. Give them a shot;- BIOS- … These are some reported backdoor passwords. Give them a shot;- BIOS- CMOS- phoenix- PHOENIXBeware they're case sensitive though.

This is not a BIOS password but Pheonix failsafe. This is not the same and it's 16 digits long.
fixya.com/sup…one

Problem with Samsung (N310-13GB) (np-n310-ka04us) Netbook
Hi evereyone I have a samsung N210 but it has a bios password (phoenix failsafe). I already tried taking off the bios battery but it doesnt work. What can I do?
Phoenix Failsafe password still operates at the BIOS level . They're called backdoors for a reason which is why a 16 digit key is not required in those instances.

Make sure the battery was removed for atleast 20 seconds.
have you left the bios battery out for 10 horus + to allow a discharge.?

That was because Failsafe thinks you are trying to modify the computer for illegal reasons...
Usually, FailSafe automatically uninstalls itself at the end of the 30 day trial. Unfortunately, IF you make adjustments to your computer before it is uninstalled, or if it didn't automaticall uninstall itself -
You will have to Register with Phoenix Failsafe, in order to get them to give you an Unlock Code. Hoping you are in the U.K. here is the Phone No. of Phoenix

Did you ring that ^^^^^
Ring Phoenix here at 02030278000 and hope the number is still active.

Explain the situation and forward proof of purchase/serial to them and they should be able to provide the password.
timtom13

have you left the bios battery out for 10 horus + to allow a discharge.?

10 Hours is a tad long.

Assuming It's volatile memory the data should be gone within seconds unless It held a charge in which case 20 seconds tops.

Either that or you can short it.
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 26th Feb 2012
Shadow-360

Ring Phoenix here at 02030278000 and hope the number is still … Ring Phoenix here at 02030278000 and hope the number is still active.Explain the situation and forward proof of purchase/serial to them and they should be able to provide the password.

Yup I have rang that number and its dead. Pheonix stopped providing this service in 2010 apparantly. They no longer taking on new accounts but the existing policies remains through this site samsung.failsafe.com/fss…gin

I have tried to work my way round thus by saying I have forgotten my email and then supplying my serial number but then it asks for a Question/Answer thingy. Beside this wouldn't work as they would then send the pass key to that email which I don't own what a nightmare.

Samsung are utterly useless as well. 10 emails later get this

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand that you have an issue with the Phoenix FailSafe in the laptop.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We are sorry to say that, we don't have master key to unlock the FailSafe. As it is an application, we suggest you please contact FailSafe to get the information.

Please visit the FailSafe website to know more details, please refer to failsafe.com.

We suggest you please perform the complete restore on the Notebook and check whether it helps.

Please go through the link below to get steps for performing complete restore:
http:/****/AtiKmj

Please do not click on the link, instead copy the entire URL, and paste it in the address bar of the web browser to open the link.

If you require additional assistance, you can email us by copying and pasting the URL below:

http:/****/cPKXqU

Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.
You can't effin contact failsafe no numbers or anything to call. No email address either.
This is the funny bit http:/****/AtiKmj
They obviously don't understand what the feck is going on. I have told them a million times can't get past the BIOS to do a restore but no...
dcx_badass

I told you what to do and you ignored it.

I haven't ignored any of you guys...you have been very helpful and I'm sorry but just a bit stressed out with all this. I will try this as a last resort but prefer to get it sorted properly or get PC World to sort it out.
Hmm, that's too bad.

Long shot but have you considered the US number?

I'm assuming It's still active based on the fact they're extending refunds until March 15t, and provide a contact number;

failsafe.com/Fai…pdf

That, or you could try purchasing one of these;

ebay.co.uk/itm…bbe
yy126962

I haven't ignored any of you guys...you have been very helpful and I'm … I haven't ignored any of you guys...you have been very helpful and I'm sorry but just a bit stressed out with all this. I will try this as a last resort but prefer to get it sorted properly or get PC World to sort it out.

Dcx has a point.

In my experience one of the CEO exec team usually contact you within the day and offer a pretty swift resolution.
Shadow-360

Hmm, that's too bad.Long shot but have you considered the US number? I'm … Hmm, that's too bad.Long shot but have you considered the US number? I'm assuming It's still active based on the fact they're extending refunds until March 15t, and provide a contact number;http://www.failsafe.com/FailSafe_Refund_Request_Form_english.pdfThat, or you could try purchasing one of these;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Master-Bios-password-Generators-DELL-HP-Sony-F-Siemens-Samsung-And-More-/110829624254?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item19cdf5dbbe#ht_735wt_1396

I haven't tried that number but I have sent them an email that was on that form.

regards to master key I tried to purchase this ebay.com/itm…dll?ViewItem&item=250667005032&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

but the seller came back to me and said it won't work with pheonisx failsafe only with standard BIOS password lockouts.
dcx_badass

Do what I said, be polite, as concise as you can but tell them everything … Do what I said, be polite, as concise as you can but tell them everything you've done, make it clear and easy to read. You'll most likely have it sorted by the end of the week at the latest.By "get PC World to sort it out" are you implying that the CEO of the company sorting it is not as preferable as some idiot in a store spending weeks doing it?

Ok will send out an email...nothing to lose I suppose.
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand that you want to know how to contact Samsung Fail Safe and when you try to perform recovery on the netbook, it just prompts for the 16 digit key.

We are really sorry about this.

We would like to inform you that there is no use of the Samsung Fail Safe to fix the issue and we have no information about how to contact the Samsung Fail Safe.

However, to fix the issue, we recommend you find a 16 digit product key provided at the bottom of the netbook and enter it.

If you require additional assistance, you can email us by copying and pasting the URL below:

http:/****/cPKXqU

Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.

Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Utterly useless. They don't even have contact details for Samsung.failsafe...
Utterly useless. They don't even have contact details for Samsung.failsafe...
After many many many hours researching and many many many emails to various recipients this guy sent me the unlock key, all he needed was the serial number and bingo.

MJ_Park@Phoenix.com

Worked for me so good luck!
The email MJ_Park@Phoenix.com is still working? I formatted my laptop and now it request Phoenix Failsafe. Do you think if i send my laptop Serial they will give me the 16 security code? If i put off for 20 min the Bios battery will it remove the security code? Please answer me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants