Philips (43,49,55) PUS6401 Smart / 4K / HDR / Android TV - Q&A / Guides / Tweaks / General Discussion

Found 23rd Mar 2017
Hi,

I thought it would be a nice idea to start a topic where we can discuss basically any question, tweak, guide about this TV.

If you have anything to share don't hesitate to do so, and I will put any relevant information in one of the first posts.

Cheers,
Community Updates
MiscPhilipsTVAndroid
58 Comments
Last deal and comments
hotukdeals.com/dea…108

Latest firmware

Changelog SW Version: QM163E_U_0.10.15.1 – Date: 2017/04/21:

Simplifications in UI
Fixes for DVB-T2 installation Germany
Updated Predefined lists for Germany Free-To-Air and HD+
Fix for “Teletext application has stopped” error
Support for IR RC remotes with RC5 protocol
Channel logo intake
Google Security Patches Until April 2016
Fix for Error 401: SRVE0295E when attempting to log into Smart TV
Fix for audio hiccups across use case
Fix for juddering picture and artefacts due to certain 3rd party apps
Improvements for stability

Previous firmware

Changelog:
QM163E_U_0.6.188.12 – Date: 2017/03/08
- Introduction of “How-To” app and re-arranged Settings shelf
- Improved reaction of Bluetooth Remote Control connection
- Improvements for stability
- Improved discovery of DLNA servers
- Improved DVB-C reception on certain frequencies
- Fix for Dropbox Login issue
- Fix for some notifications remaining on screen and some notifications being absent
- Fix for Ambilight Hue connection loss with specific routers (e.g. Fritz!Box)
- Fix for RTL XL issue
- Fix for Videotext "888" and “889” not getting re-abled after commercial break
- Fix for incorrect picture format when using Picture Style “Computer”
- HDR playback improvements
- Lower latency in GameFly usecase
- Fixed translation errors
- Fix for inability to control volume on certain sound bars (e.g. Samsung HW-K450)
- Fix for incorrect AV sync during playback of recording
Edited by: "borosidf" 25th Apr 2017
TWEAKS

OK, so let me share the tweaks I'm using right now.
The TV is accessible via Android ADB interface over Wi-Fi. Thanks to the USB Debugging option is ON by default.

Set up ADB

If you still don't have any Android ADB package installed on your PC it's the best to use Minimal ADB and Fastboot. You can find the tool and the installation guide here: forum.xda-developers.com/sho…790 Credits goes to shimp208, please don't forget to log in and hit Thanks. Nothing to worry about just follow the steps. Navigate the installation folder and Shift+Right Click in the folder and choose "Open command window here".

In this command prompt, type the following command to start the ADB server. Your computer and TV need to be on the same network.
adb start-server
You should get the following response
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
In the command prompt type "adb connect" and the "IP address" of your TV. You can check your IP in the TV's All Setting / Wireless and Network / Wired or Wi-Fi / View network setting. In my case
adb connect 192.168.1.106
Allow USB debugging request on your TV, tick "Always allow from this computer". At this point, you're ready to run you commands.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hide Google's Leanback Launcher and use another of your choice - Not working with the recent MM update

If you want to use another launcher instead of Google's Leanback Launcher, download it and install on your TV. You can find several on the internet, don't forget to use a trusted source for download. Look around here droiddude.co.uk/blo…463 I've tried few and for me, the most stable and practical is Apex Launcher. Yes, it is a little bit outdated but still, suits my liking. http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/android-does/apex-launcher/apex-launcher-3-1-0-release/apex-launcher-3-1-0-android-apk-download/

After you installed for launcher of choice, run the command
adb shell pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

After this, if you press the Home button on you remote you can set you launcher to run always.
Now you can leave adb shell by typing
exit
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Disable Philips Apps Tray

If you are someone like me and never use a single Philips App you can hide it from your home screen. All you need to do is navigate to your Manage Apps menu on the bottom of the home screen and choose System App and look for LeanbackCustomiser. Click on it and go to Notifications and set it to Off. Enjoy

Set density

If you feel the tiles on your home screen and basically everything just so big, you can set lower density and you will have basically everything smaller.
I'm using 280 instead of 320 at them moment but you can use and set if for your own taste. In ADB type (Of course you need to have adb server running and connected.) Enjoy

adb shell wm density 280

App Starter for Netflix Button

With this app you can re-define the function of the NETFLIX button on TV remote control by yourself. Just start the App "App Starter for Netflix Button" after installation and select the app you want to be started when you click the Netflix button.
thanks waynefuller82

App Starter for Netflix Button
Edited by: "borosidf" 26th Mar 2017
I hesitated when the 43" was £359 at Argos and been annoyed I didn't buy it since!

What are your thoughts on the TV? Have you ran Antutu on it for a benchmark, processor and memory specs? The latter 2 I struggled to find. Philips never responded to my email asking for the info for some reason..
is there a fix for DTS audio sounding like white noise from the speakers and from the optical out to 5.1 amp? it weirdly raises the audio of he TV to 51 regardless of what your current setting is. I did manage to get it to work as 2.0 but not ideal. Dolby digital is working fine.
I don't have one of these tellys but this is a great post. Kudos.
I'm going to update the post asap. With
-How to disable built in Leanback Launcher and use another of your choice - done
-How to disable reccommendations - soon, Philips apps section on home screen - done
-Hot to change density or resolution - done
-I dont remember

Regarding DTS / DD it is working for me in the built in video player app but that one just so dumb. Still no luck with Kodi/SPMC/Archos video and few others. In my opinion it is a driver problem.
Edited by: "borosidf" 23rd Mar 2017
Fair enough, I wonder if there is a newer audio driver we can inject with adb?

A nice tweak I used was to reassign the Netflix button on the remote to another application of your choice. Search play store for Netflix app changer.

Edited by: "waynefuller82" 23rd Mar 2017
Dusty

I hesitated when the 43" was £359 at Argos and been annoyed I didn't buy … I hesitated when the 43" was £359 at Argos and been annoyed I didn't buy it since! What are your thoughts on the TV? Have you ran Antutu on it for a benchmark, processor and memory specs? The latter 2 I struggled to find. Philips never responded to my email asking for the info for some reason..

I really enjoy it but still, but the audio problems I have.

To be honest I haven't tested a single game or benchmark on it. So no results, but will run for you tomorrow.

According to AIDA
CPU: MediaTek MT5890 (2xA17,2xA7)
GPU: Mali-T624 (3cores)
RAM: 1.5GB

My phone QM163E by AntutuBenchMark performance test score of 33580
Score

Edited by: "borosidf" 24th Mar 2017
waynefuller82

Fair enough, I wonder if there is a newer audio driver we can inject with … Fair enough, I wonder if there is a newer audio driver we can inject with adb?A nice tweak I used was to reassign the Netflix button on the remote to another application of your choice. Search play store for Netflix app changer.

​I don't know. Try to learn all on my own. I'm not sure we can do without root? But just wondering. If the sound is working fine in tge built in app. Maybe the 3rd party apps just using wrong device(id)? If you have any idea I'm more than haooy to try. I tried my USB sounc card and I can see it hooked up but just no sound.

I'll raise it with koying to see if he can bugfix this issue.

borosidf

​I don't know. Try to learn all on my own. I'm not sure we can do without … ​I don't know. Try to learn all on my own. I'm not sure we can do without root? But just wondering. If the sound is working fine in tge built in app. Maybe the 3rd party apps just using wrong device(id)? If you have any idea I'm more than haooy to try. I tried my USB sounc card and I can see it hooked up but just no sound.

borosidf

​I don't know. Try to learn all on my own. I'm not sure we can do without … ​I don't know. Try to learn all on my own. I'm not sure we can do without root? But just wondering. If the sound is working fine in tge built in app. Maybe the 3rd party apps just using wrong device(id)? If you have any idea I'm more than haooy to try. I tried my USB sounc card and I can see it hooked up but just no sound.

For those with experience of side loading has anyone tried the Amazon Video APK from the Shield or Sony TV to enable 5.1 and possibly HDR (Shield version)?
The apk has been removed from XDA because Amazon's request. If you can share I willing to try. Infortunately I don't have access for a pc to extract from the factory image.
I'll give it a try.

What are the correct settings please to get 5.1 from SPMC and/or Kodi on this TV? I can't even get DD to work never mind DTS. It's not really an issue for me as I use my Shield but it would be nice to get it working.
EddyH

I'll give it a try.What are the correct settings please to get 5.1 from … I'll give it a try.What are the correct settings please to get 5.1 from SPMC and/or Kodi on this TV? I can't even get DD to work never mind DTS. It's not really an issue for me as I use my Shield but it would be nice to get it working.

We already have commented/reported the issue to the developer of SPMC.

I just had time to play a little bit with the device after the new update.

with the previous fw (android 5.1) it was possible to hide leanback launcher and set another as default, now with the 6.0.1 FW I get the following error message, anyone can advise?

adb shell pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.
borosidf

We already have commented/reported the issue to the developer of SPMC.I … We already have commented/reported the issue to the developer of SPMC.I just had time to play a little bit with the device after the new update.with the previous fw (android 5.1) it was possible to hide leanback launcher and set another as default, now with the 6.0.1 FW I get the following error message, anyone can advise?adb shell pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncherError: java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.

I've seen the post on Github about the DTS issue but I can't even get DD 5.1 to work.
I can share my KODI config where I have DD but DTS. In SPMC don't have neither DD nor DTS working​. My TV is connected to my Logitech z5500 with SPDIF/Optical.
Settings/Expert
No of channels 5.1
Output Best match
Resample High
Audio passtrough ON
DD receiver ON
DTS receiver ON (bahh)
And thats all.
I'm using HDMI ARC to a Denon AVR-X2200W, I can't get anything other than stereo out of Kodi or SPMC. I've tried your settings and various other connotations but no luck. I get 5.1 from Netflix but only DD not DD+ which I have raised with Philips.

From what I have read on Kodi/SPMC forums it appears to be poor driver software built into the TV rather than something that can be fixed by the app(s). However it is odd that I can only get 5.1 from Netflix. I haven't yet tried the TV's built in player.
Check your content with your built in video player app please. For me it looks Kodi/SPMC are not using the correct drivers. Because as I said for me trough optical I have DTS and DD either with the built in plater. Have you set Multichannel in th TVs own audio settings?
Edited by: "borosidf" 27th Mar 2017
borosidf

Check your content with your built in video player app please. For me it … Check your content with your built in video player app please. For me it looks Kodi/SPMC are not using the correct drivers. Because as I said for me trough optical I have DTS and DD either with the built in plater. Have you set Multichannel in th TVs own audio settings?

DD & DTS work over ARC using the built in player, no DD+ though.
thanks for sharing, my receiver only DD/DTS so I can't speak about it
Owner of the 49" model.

Re: 5.1, I've always had it set to 2.0 channels and to passthrough options on every Kodi device I've owned, this included and has always worked.
does anyone know of how to restart android without having to pull the power out the back? sometimes no signal or loading appears at bottom right and doesn't clear
And also does the new Google Home voice speaker work with the search facility built in on the Philips?
Edited by: "waynefuller82" 1st Apr 2017
steevio_uk

Owner of the 49" model.Re: 5.1, I've always had it set to 2.0 channels … Owner of the 49" model.Re: 5.1, I've always had it set to 2.0 channels and to passthrough options on every Kodi device I've owned, this included and has always worked.

​5.1 mean DTS?
waynefuller82

does anyone know of how to restart android without having to pull the … does anyone know of how to restart android without having to pull the power out the back? sometimes no signal or loading appears at bottom right and doesn't clear

​are you on the most recent firmware? about restart, not sure exactly where but there is an option in the settings
Hi Boro,

Just got latest marshmallow fw and its much faster and more stable. I haven't had a slow EPG, channel change or no signal message since the upgrade

I found the restart android within the menus as well.

Have you tried the Google Home speaker with it?

Thanks,
waynefuller82

Hi Boro,Just got latest marshmallow fw and its much faster and more … Hi Boro,Just got latest marshmallow fw and its much faster and more stable. I haven't had a slow EPG, channel change or no signal message since the upgradeI found the restart android within the menus as well.Have you tried the Google Home speaker with it?Thanks,

​nah, I don't have GH
is it so good sould quality you want it to use with the tv or what for?
I would like to use it with the search by voice as the remote does not have a mic.

I expect the Google Home speaker will Bluetooth to the TV and then hopefully accept voice commands and search?

Do you think it would work?
waynefuller82

I would like to use it with the search by voice as the remote does not … I would like to use it with the search by voice as the remote does not have a mic.I expect the Google Home speaker will Bluetooth to the TV and then hopefully accept voice commands and search?Do you think it would work?

Don't want to disappoint you but I have an aftermarket remote with mic.
2.4GHz Multifunctional Fly Air Mouse Remote Mini Wireless Keyboard with Infrared Learning,Voice Input for Kodi Android TV box By Dupad Story [Updated Version]
The mic/voice search function working fine with my android phone but with the TV. Later on, I will report on Philips forums and we will see. But I don't recommend to buy the GH just because of this feature.
Looking at the compatible tv devices section of he Google Home Philips is listed:

Toshiba
Philips
Sony
Bang & Olufsen
B&O Play
Grundig
Polk Audio

Anyone else seen confirmation and what you can actually control / search?
borosidf

​are you on the most recent firmware? about restart, not sure exactly w … ​are you on the most recent firmware? about restart, not sure exactly where but there is an option in the settings

In Logitech K400 plus keyboard press Ctrl+Alt+Del. In the remote press on/off button for some seconds.
Thought I would share the 1byone Bluetooth keyboard with integrated mouse pad works with the Philips 49". Currently £19.99.

Mouse and keyboard work on main launcher menu and in our favorite media player software.

thanks for sharing

I have a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse and those ones working just fine with the nano receiver.
EddyH

New firmware

Thank you, the first post updated. I haven't tried myself. I have no problem with the previous others experiencing. Maybe I will wait until they fix the DTS passthrough problems.
borosidf

Thank you, the first post updated. I haven't tried myself. I have no … Thank you, the first post updated. I haven't tried myself. I have no problem with the previous others experiencing. Maybe I will wait until they fix the DTS passthrough problems.

I haven't bothered updating yet either as I'm pretty happy with the previous firmware which solved quite a few issues.
Does anyone else have issue with the 55" model. Playing Ps4 and after an hour it'll flicker to a black screen and back to an image. It's like the resolution was changed on a Pc.

I've emailed philips to put in a report. Google says it's either an issue with the board or a connection with the ps4. But most lean towards issue with tv.

Hdmi port #3, standard ps4.
kos1c

Does anyone else have issue with the 55" model. Playing Ps4 and after an … Does anyone else have issue with the 55" model. Playing Ps4 and after an hour it'll flicker to a black screen and back to an image. It's like the resolution was changed on a Pc. I've emailed philips to put in a report. Google says it's either an issue with the board or a connection with the ps4. But most lean towards issue with tv. Hdmi port #3, standard ps4.

Have you tried any other HDMI ports? As far as I understand:
Video inputs on HDMI 1/2 up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @60 Hz
Video inputs on HDMI 3/4 up to FHD 1920 x 1080 @60 Hz; up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @30 Hz

I have no PS4 but have no problem with my XBOX on HDMI1
borosidf

Have you tried any other HDMI ports? As far as I understand:Video inputs … Have you tried any other HDMI ports? As far as I understand:Video inputs on HDMI 1/2 up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @60 HzVideo inputs on HDMI 3/4 up to FHD 1920 x 1080 @60 Hz; up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @30 HzI have no PS4 but have no problem with my XBOX on HDMI1

​I've not yet tried it but as the ps4 is 1080/60, it wouldn't require being on hdmi 1 or 2.
Their taken up by my 4k android box and gaming pc.
I'll try switch it to hdmi #4 and see if it does the same.

Don't really want my ps4 taking up a 4k/60 port.
kos1c

[quote=borosidf][quote=kos1c]Don't really want my ps4 taking up a 4k/60 … [quote=borosidf][quote=kos1c]Don't really want my ps4 taking up a 4k/60 port.

Completely understand you, but still just check if you have a problem with the specific HDMI port just because you don't have problems with your other devices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants