Philips 50pus7956 TV ) good picture sluggish interface keep or return?

Posted 4th Nov 2021
got the above TV from Curry's recently, picture seems fine but control s are very laggy

dunno if it's. best to return
put a Roku stick in etc

or maybe there is another work around

software us up to date

any help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    That happened me - sadly I bought my set from Ebuyer, they accepted the RMA and paid for a courier to collect. They told me the warranty was invalid - I pointed out it was less than a week old and they sent my pictures of a smashed screen, damaged in transit. They refused to refund me and blamed me for the physical damage. Lesson learnt and that's why I never give any heat for their deals (although I think they have been banned now?)

If it's not working as you expect I would return it. Nothing worse than having a slow interface!
    My latest TV was purchased from Argos and it too suffered from a slow interface - I really didn't want the hassle of boxing it up and returning to the store for a refund and tried to live with it. Eventually my missus gave me their helpline number, I rang them up and discovered there was known fault with the remote - they shipped me out a brand new remote and it's been working ever since! (It's a 55" Hitachi, which of course is no longer stocked by them!)
  2. Avatar
    OP, dont buy Philips.

I am not a lover of brands like LG and Samsung but i would but those anyday over Philips.

They have been bad for years and everything they make has an awful real life owning experience, they are the Renault of electrical appliances.

If you can get a refund do it, you will never be happy and something will break before long.
  3. Avatar
    groenleader04/11/2021 07:42

OP, dont buy Philips.I am not a lover of brands like LG and Samsung but i …OP, dont buy Philips.I am not a lover of brands like LG and Samsung but i would but those anyday over Philips. They have been bad for years and everything they make has an awful real life owning experience, they are the Renault of electrical appliances. If you can get a refund do it, you will never be happy and something will break before long.

Love my Philips TV, Ambilight was a game changer for me. That said I never use the built in apps on a TV, always prefer to use a Streaming stick.

@thebiggishman is it only the Apps that are slow to use? If the rest of the TV is fine to use (tuner ok, picture quality good) maybe try with a streaming stick and see how you get on. Firestick 4k is currently only £26.99
  4. Avatar
    Author
    Cheers, do you know how long you have if you change your mind?
  5. Avatar
    If its laggy then there's a few things you can do.

First of all if it's recently had a software update. I would suggest a factory reset.

Set it up the way you like. Then turn tv off at mains for 10mins.

This should clear anything held in memory.

If your still having issues then contact philips support. If they can't help then return to currys
  6. Avatar
    groenleader04/11/2021 07:42

OP, dont buy Philips.I am not a lover of brands like LG and Samsung but i …OP, dont buy Philips.I am not a lover of brands like LG and Samsung but i would but those anyday over Philips. They have been bad for years and everything they make has an awful real life owning experience, they are the Renault of electrical appliances. If you can get a refund do it, you will never be happy and something will break before long.

I have an Ambilight OLED and I love it, it definitely hasn’t been an “awful real life owning experience” for me.
  7. Avatar
    There are always work arounds but you’ll have to decide if you think you should spend more money on fixing the things you don’t like about your tv.

You could buy a Fire Stick 4k (£26.99 ), Chromecast or Roku to speed up access to smart apps or buy a used BT YouView box to improve navigation of Freeview Play (£35-40 from cex).

You could put that money towards a different tv - but returning your Philips to Currys doesn’t sound like much fun & there’s no guarantee that the picture quality of a faster set will be as good (edited)
  8. Avatar
    Author
    Yea the picture is good and they let us have it on interest free for 9 months

I've considered just using the Xbox series s for the apps , but it goes into a "Dolby mode" for Netflix for example and the picture looks very yellow

I used the series s for the sky go app
  9. Avatar
    Haircut_10004/11/2021 08:34

I have an Ambilight OLED and I love it, it definitely hasn’t been an “ …I have an Ambilight OLED and I love it, it definitely hasn’t been an “awful real life owning experience” for me.

Same here.
  10. Avatar
    The TV is just as good as any other in the price range and has the added ambilight. I enjoy mine but have only just realised the tv works much better through its own remote/apps. If you use the sky remote it doesn’t utilise it’s potential and tends to crash.