Philips 65PUS681412 vs LG OLED B9 55” - help!!

Posted 21st Nov
So I’m trying to pick a tv. Stuck between the Philips 65 inch one for £629 from Currys with a 2 year warranty, and the LG OLED B9 55 inch for £1099 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty.

I know the OLED will likely be a better tv, but is it really worth the extra few hundred pounds and for a smaller screen size?

If any tv experts could help that would be great
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
In my opinion the bigger screen at 65 Vs 55 far outweighs the screen quality.
On a day to day you will not hugely be affected between the quality . However you can never mistake a 65 size to a 55. The difference is vast
adamderak21/11/2019 14:53

In my opinion the bigger screen at 65 Vs 55 far outweighs the screen …In my opinion the bigger screen at 65 Vs 55 far outweighs the screen quality.On a day to day you will not hugely be affected between the quality . However you can never mistake a 65 size to a 55. The difference is vast

See that’s the thing, I’m not too fussed about the screen size. I’d rather have a much better tv, but a smaller size - quality over quantity Not sure if the OLED is £500 better, which is my problem.
Millieh21/11/2019 15:15

See that’s the thing, I’m not too fussed about the screen size. I’d rather …See that’s the thing, I’m not too fussed about the screen size. I’d rather have a much better tv, but a smaller size - quality over quantity Not sure if the OLED is £500 better, which is my problem.

Than go for the OLED. You have 6 years guarantee, so think of the extra £500 as just over £80 year for one of the best TVs you can buy.
How much of the stuff you watch is in HDR? That's where a high end TV really shines.

If it's only a few percent or none at all then a lower mid-range TV is the best value.

Forget about the individual models for now, you need to decide what's sort of TV you want first - what's important to you.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 21st Nov
Oled every time the picture quality difference is worth the money!
iang00721/11/2019 18:37

Oled every time the picture quality difference is worth the money!

But wait till Black Friday they are always on offer
Millieh21/11/2019 15:15

See that’s the thing, I’m not too fussed about the screen size. I’d rather …See that’s the thing, I’m not too fussed about the screen size. I’d rather have a much better tv, but a smaller size - quality over quantity Not sure if the OLED is £500 better, which is my problem.

Well if that is the case I would go for an Auld panasonic plasma then and make sure it is one with the y-sus board that has fans on them and you should be overjoyed at the picture quality!

I bought an old 103 inch panasonic plasma off ebay years ago and its still going strong - 1080p max but i cant tell the difference between SD or HD anyway so 4k doesnt matter to me and it still looks better than my bedroom TCL 4K telly - original retail price was £65,000.

If not then I would recommend TCL and a USA version if you can get one I never see any in the workshop - i have the 65 incher £399 with 6 year warranty!
And yes its not a Turkey ie Vestel lol

You want a warranty over 5 years as most tellies now fail on average between 4-5 years+
Led is a poor design its what kills most lcd tellies - just dont put the backlight up 100% and leave it on 8+ hours a day!

If you have the money you cant beat OLED but the good ones are £1000+

Want my advice go visit currys and compare a 50 inch telly with a 75 incher - once you have you wont be saying bigger isnt better - IT IS!

You could also consider a projector and a pull down screen a few guys on here have some really impressive setups but the problem with those is the expensive bulbs for the projector and space for the screen!
Edited by: "omendata" 21st Nov
omendata21/11/2019 18:52

Well if that is the case I would go for an Auld panasonic plasma then and …Well if that is the case I would go for an Auld panasonic plasma then and make sure it is one with the y-sus board that has fans on them and you should be overjoyed at the picture quality!I bought an old 103 inch panasonic plasma off ebay years ago and its still going strong - 1080p max but i cant tell the difference between SD or HD anyway so 4k doesnt matter to me and it still looks better than my bedroom TCL 4K telly - original retail price was £65,000.If not then I would recommend TCL and a USA version if you can get one I never see any in the workshop - i have the 65 incher £399 with 6 year warranty!And yes its not a Turkey ie Vestel lolYou want a warranty over 5 years as most tellies now fail on average between 4-5 years+Led is a poor design its what kills most lcd tellies - just dont put the backlight up 100% and leave it on 8+ hours a day!If you have the money you cant beat OLED but the good ones are £1000+Want my advice go visit currys and compare a 50 inch telly with a 75 incher - once you have you wont be saying bigger isnt better - IT IS!You could also consider a projector and a pull down screen a few guys on here have some really impressive setups but the problem with those is the expensive bulbs for the projector and space for the screen!

I had a Pioneer Kuro, and one of the later not quite top tier Panasonic plasmas. The new OLEDs absolutely destroy both, the brightness levels on the plasmas are terrible in comparison and compared to my Samsung Q9 its night and day. They were great back then, but things have moved on a great deal.
MIDURIX21/11/2019 21:14

I had a Pioneer Kuro, and one of the later not quite top tier Panasonic …I had a Pioneer Kuro, and one of the later not quite top tier Panasonic plasmas. The new OLEDs absolutely destroy both, the brightness levels on the plasmas are terrible in comparison and compared to my Samsung Q9 its night and day. They were great back then, but things have moved on a great deal.

Yeah but I am an auld fairte and a tight**se to boot!

And yes I did say go for OLED if you can afford it cannot disagree with what you say except to say that most people would not notice the difference unless they were put side to side and for the price well.....
Oled are not without problems but I have to say Plasmas are the most difficult to repair and can be a real pain almost as bad as CRT!
The one thing most people miss is the repair price - i repaired an OLED last month and it cost the poor guy £300+.
Repaired an LG50PK590 yesterday and it cost a mere £30.
Thats the advantage of old stuff you can get the parts for less than a tenner on ebay and some parts suppliers even give em away for free when they are dumping stock!

I guess you have only experience with some plasmas but brightness levels on mine are great and black is black as black can be.
Edited by: "omendata" 21st Nov
omendata21/11/2019 21:37

Yeah but I am an auld fairte and a tight**se to boot! And yes I did say …Yeah but I am an auld fairte and a tight**se to boot! And yes I did say go for OLED if you can afford it cannot disagree with what you say except to say that most people would not notice the difference unless they were put side to side and for the price well.....Oled are not without problems but I have to say Plasmas are the most difficult to repair and can be a real pain almost as bad as CRT!The one thing most people miss is the repair price - i repaired an OLED last month and it cost the poor guy £300+.Repaired an LG50PK590 yesterday and it cost a mere £30.Thats the advantage of old stuff you can get the parts for less than a tenner on ebay and some parts suppliers even give em away for free when they are dumping stock!I guess you have only experience with some plasmas but brightness levels on mine are great and black is black as black can be.

Kuro has a peak brightness of 200 nits, my Oled is about 700 and Q9 is a very high number, can't remember. The black are lovely with a plasma, but I'm happy with most midrange led sets now.
MIDURIX21/11/2019 22:59

Kuro has a peak brightness of 200 nits, my Oled is about 700 and Q9 is a …Kuro has a peak brightness of 200 nits, my Oled is about 700 and Q9 is a very high number, can't remember. The black are lovely with a plasma, but I'm happy with most midrange led sets now.

Never had nits myself but my plasma has 500 but i take your word for it!¬
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions