Expired

Philips hi fi leaves gaps in between tracks - what to do?

Found 9th Nov 2014
I very recently bought the Philips DTM3170/12 Lightning Micro System hi fi from Argos but noticed when I try and play mixed compilations or live albums it leaves an annoying gap in between tracks!

I spoke to their live chat team & they said that this issue has been reported to their design team quite a few times & is not a bug - it's how their audio equipment is meant to be! :@

Any ideas on what I can do as a workaround? As most of my CD collection is albums that are mixed.

Also I tried plugging in an old iPod into the aux in & the quality isn't that great, it has a slight hiss before I even plug the cables into the unit. Any idea why? As I'd rather not fork out for a personal CD player to play mixed CD's if the audio quality isn't going to be clear.
Community Updates
11 Comments
Hiss is probably normal. Most hi end stuff mutes the output until it gets a certain voltage. Lower end stuff just works on if a 3.5mm lead is in the socket, leaving the other end of the lead unconnected is not a good idea as you're just amplifying noise.
As for the forced Pre gap I'm not sure. Probably a engineer setting somewhere.

Doesn't the "gap" relate to separating tracks so they can efficiently be categorised or used as single tracks on, say, an MP3 player? I thought it was a relatively normal thing for digital media. Play "The Wall" by Pink Floyd on vinyl and it is a single seamless piece of music, play it on a CD or MP3 and it has gaps. Maybe there is a setting on your player to alleviate this?
en.wikipedia.org/wik…ack
I'd get rid because gapless playback has been around for a long time now.
Are they self burnt CD's or store bought?
rev6

Are they self burnt CD's or store bought?

Store bought, which is the frustrating thing! Never experienced anything like this since I was a child when I had a cheap personal CD player.

kester76

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playbackI'd get rid because gapless … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playbackI'd get rid because gapless playback has been around for a long time now.

I said that to the live chat person but he then said they've had complaints when they've made audio devices with no gaps in between tracks.....although the Philips UK support team is based in Poland so I'm guessing he doesn't understand
Take it back as it's a deal breaker. It shouldn't put gaps in where they're aren't any. Should of asked him if there was a similar policy for bluray players.
kester76

Take it back as it's a deal breaker. It shouldn't put gaps in where … Take it back as it's a deal breaker. It shouldn't put gaps in where they're aren't any. Should of asked him if there was a similar policy for bluray players.

Hmm I'm debating whether to keep it as for £150 (was £200 the week before) there isn't anything better in that price range - it has an iPod Dock, Bluetooth and great sound. I guess I could buy a personal CD player (although they're so expensive now!) & use that for mixed CD's but the aux in doesn't sound that clear to me compared to CD's & Bluetooth

I just can't believe that in 2014 Philips devices don't support gapless playback, it really is ridiculous!
I hate gaps between tracks too. As they're store bought then it just means the CD player isn't very good :-)
Philips make good hardware but they're very tight on features. Bluetooth is a joke, the thing should have airplay and FLAC support. Best option for this is to buy an old ipod touch and share iTunes ALAC with it. I've done that with my Sony rdp-xa700 and my ipod touch after the headphone socket screwed up.
This is a bit left field, but would an external usb cd drive play back without gaps?
esar

This is a bit left field, but would an external usb cd drive play back … This is a bit left field, but would an external usb cd drive play back without gaps?

I have no idea! Is there any way I can check? A portable CD player should work but a USB cd drive is probably cheaper!

That beats Philips latest advice to me:
'Hi. I'm afraid our products do not support gapless playback. I suggest you convert your music into mp3 file and play back through USB.'
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants