Groups

Philips hue assistance

Banned
    I'm looking at Philips Hue system, but am unsure of how it works.

It's in a kitchen diner area with 3 zones.

Zone 1 = kitchen led gu10

Zone 2 = feature lights over hob

Zone 3 = dining area led gu10

There could be a 4th zone if i consider under wall cupboard units.

Can i have zone 3 come on at certain time in the morning weekdays only?

I hear something about resetting issues if you use the normal light switch. Can someone explain?

Gu10 bulbs are a crazy price, I think I need 12-16. Any suggestions.

Apart from the bulbs can all other kit be in another room?

12 Comments

Original Poster Banned

There seems to be a new product GU 10 perfect fit which I think overcomes the fitting problem of the current gu10 bulb

each bulb can be independently controlled by the app, combine them with ifttt app and the possibilities are amazing, you just leave your light switches on and the hub switches everything on or use the pricey motion sensors

all the other kit etc.... can be in other rooms as long as the hub can connect to the bulbs, I've got my hub upstairs and the bulbs downstairs combined with my harmony ultimate hub and remote with ifttt and yonomi, works amazingly well, press Netflix on the remote TV changes to Netflix, sound bar comes on lights turn off all with one touch of the button

Original Poster Banned

Perhaps I'm not understanding this system properly. I'm prepared to take the plunge with Hue on a new kitchen diner. Do I keep traditional switches? I get the impression if a tradition switch is used all settings on Hue are lost.

Can anyone with experience advise if they were in my position what they would do. It seems a bit risky to have no traditional switch in case of internet failure, but senseless to have them if they reset when used.

cchopps

Perhaps I'm not understanding this system properly. I'm prepared to take … Perhaps I'm not understanding this system properly. I'm prepared to take the plunge with Hue on a new kitchen diner. Do I keep traditional switches? I get the impression if a tradition switch is used all settings on Hue are lost.Can anyone with experience advise if they were in my position what they would do. It seems a bit risky to have no traditional switch in case of internet failure, but senseless to have them if they reset when used.

The lights have to be switched on at the switch to be able to control them with an app, obviously. I don't have any lights connected to the light switch, mine are all lamps, however, they can all be turned on and off independently of the app or other lamps, but continue to work as normal when an app is used, ie, I can still switch to a preset scene. No settings are lost. Hope this helps.

Can i have zone 3 come on at certain time in the morning weekdays only?

Yes, it's easy enough to do on the Philips Hue app. You just add a group of whichever bulbs you want to 'a room' on the app, then set a timer for that particular room in the 'routines' section.

http://s12.postimg.org/kyl8fd1xp/screenshot_2085.png

Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Nov 2016

Original Poster Banned

deeky

The lights have to be switched on at the switch to be able to control … The lights have to be switched on at the switch to be able to control them with an app, obviously. I don't have any lights connected to the light switch, mine are all lamps, however, they can all be turned on and off independently of the app or other lamps, but continue to work as normal when an app is used, ie, I can still switch to a preset scene. No settings are lost. Hope this helps.

It's been a long time. I was beginning to wonder if there were no friendly posters in ASK. Thanks for all your help.

Original Poster Banned

deeky

The lights have to be switched on at the switch to be able to control … The lights have to be switched on at the switch to be able to control them with an app, obviously. I don't have any lights connected to the light switch, mine are all lamps, however, they can all be turned on and off independently of the app or other lamps, but continue to work as normal when an app is used, ie, I can still switch to a preset scene. No settings are lost. Hope this helps.

I'm looking at spots and 1 ceiling light. The trouble is that there is no wall mountable switch available from Philips.

However there is a workaround.

3d printer solution that fits over existing light switch. Neat

Edited by: "cchopps" 2nd Nov 2016

cchopps

I'm looking at spots and 1 ceiling light. The trouble is that there is … I'm looking at spots and 1 ceiling light. The trouble is that there is no wall mountable switch available from Philips.t

Oh? This is mine X) Just a standard Hue dimmer switch. Apart from manual dimming, you can also use it to set different scenes, using multiple presses on the 4 different buttons.

http://s12.postimg.org/3nzf12znx/screenshot_2086.png

Oh, sorry, you obviously already know about the dimmer switch. i hadn't clicked your link when I posted X) You might not like, in fact you obviously don't, like the aesthetics of side by side switches, I'm ok with it.

Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Nov 2016

Original Poster Banned

deeky

Oh? This is mine X) Just a standard Hue dimmer switch.

Ok is that a permanent fix to the wall?

cchopps

Ok is that a permanent fix to the wall?

Yeah, permanent adhesive pad I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon X)

Original Poster Banned

deeky

Yeah, permanent adhesive pad I don't think it's going anywhere any … Yeah, permanent adhesive pad I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon X)

Do you know if that switch can be used to control 3 different zones?

So one button turns on and off 6 spots, another would turn on and off under cabinet lights, and another one turns on and off light over table.

cchopps

Do you know if that switch can be used to control 3 different zones?So … Do you know if that switch can be used to control 3 different zones?So one button turns on and off 6 spots, another would turn on and off under cabinet lights, and another one turns on and off light over table.

Sorry, I don;t know. I just use it to control 1 zone.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky11
      2. Iptv1227
      3. Hifi Speaker cable choice?46
      4. best place for fishing tackle?11

See more discussions