Philips Hue Sync HDMI Box - add ambilight to your TV £229 at Philips Online Shop UK

Posted 27th Nov
This won't necessarily go hot for price (it's at RRP so not a money off deal) and it's a little niche.

If you have a Hue Bridge and any Hue lights (such as Hue light strips or Hue Play lights) behind or next to your TV, you can now add this nifty box of tricks to your HDMI chain and it will synchronise the pictures on screen with the Hue lights, effectively making your TV the same as an Ambilight one.

It seemingly works with any video source via HDMI, so game consoles, Blu-ray players, Sky boxes, Apple TV boxes, Amazon Fire, Roku, etc.

This was meant to be released in the UK in January 2020 but it looks like Philips have decided to get them out before Christmas. They've been on sale in the USA for a few months now and are getting rave reviews.

Videos here:

Sync your smart lights to the content on your TV screen with the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box. Four HDMI ports allow you to connect your media devices to your Hue setup, resulting in a fast, seamless display of colourful smart light that responds to and reflects the content you watch or listen to.

What's supported
  • Ports 4
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ 2.4 GHz
  • HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2
  • Video resolution Up to 4k 60Hz HDR10
  • CEC Ja
  • Supported Bluetooth 4.2 for WiFi setup
Community Updates

Groups

27 Comments
Overpriced for something you can diy at home
Brave man. It’s gonna get... well let’s see. Have some heat from me to get you going.
I believe as it's RRP it'll get removed. But this is ridiculously expensive for what it is.
my tv with ambilight built into it was only £70 more than the sync box I mean its nice they do it but its way too much for it
whosjoe27/11/2019 12:56

Links to that option with an existing Hue ecosystem would be useful...
Will it reduce the picture quality of my TV down to Philips standards too?
I get it's expensive but Philips Hue is an ecosystem and I don't see any other way of easily adding this functionality from videos sources.
It is one for the Hue fanatic, I accept
ezzer7227/11/2019 12:59

Will it reduce the picture quality of my TV down to Philips standards too?

I hope not, I've got a very nice LG E8 55" OLED
Apparently the reviews have been terrible. Hard to set up, with poor results.
SeanRTK27/11/2019 12:56

I believe as it's RRP it'll get removed. But this is ridiculously …I believe as it's RRP it'll get removed. But this is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

I don't think you can buy it anywhere else right now.
Can’t vote hot for this but good to know it’s available. I’ve always wondered why they didn’t release this before. I’ll stick to getting it running on a Pi with Kodi using some low cost addressable LED strip.(y)
Great idea, and fully invested in the hue ecosystem here. But I will not be paying £229 ! It’s good to know this is now available. Thanks.

I won’t vote
This is no good for Dolby Atmos and the lights don’t work for Dolby Vision (though will still pass through).
I like the idea but can't see it working for most folk with light strips. Everyone I know who uses the hue light strip on the back of their TV have it as one piece (usually 2m with the extensions added). In order for this to work you would need just single separately controlled pieces at the side and top. Also, most folk have super thin TVs that are mounted pretty close to the wall so squashing in play bars might not be ideal. Nice looking hdmi switch though
Sorry, it's a cold vote from me. Huge phillips hue fan, however this is £100+ overpriced. Would rather pay extra and get an ambilight TV with this built in.
Ambilight is fantastic but the Hue integration is not worth this kind of money. I was very excited about it as the living room is filled with Hue but in the end it is mostly turned off at our house.
mm130327/11/2019 13:03

and fully invested in the hue ecosystem here

Congrats on owning a few bulbs!

Seriously, this ‘ecosystem’ term is used way too much.
ezzer7227/11/2019 13:09

Congrats on owning a few bulbs! Seriously, this ‘ecosystem’ term is us …Congrats on owning a few bulbs! Seriously, this ‘ecosystem’ term is used way too much.

Trololololol
That isn’t helpful if you want a decent TV though...
There's a FREE app for the Nvidia Shield at the Google Play Store which does this. Search for Hue Stream!

edit: it may work with other AndroidTV devices too, but not certain.
Edited by: "ElBuc" 27th Nov
whosjoe27/11/2019 12:56

Woo!
with sky?
blu Ray?
DTV?

send your instructions please,ill pay you!

p.s.
no you can’t. Not unless you use a raspberry pi and WS2812’s and, unless you use slightly less than legitimate HDCP ripped content
Edited by: "Bleugh" 27th Nov
ElBuc27/11/2019 13:51

There's a FREE app for the Nvidia Shield at the Google Play Store which …There's a FREE app for the Nvidia Shield at the Google Play Store which does this. Search for Hue Stream!edit: it may work with other AndroidTV devices too, but not certain.

So you’re not comparing like for like. Hue stream is an app, this is an HDMI switch with Ambilight functionality built in.
nabby27/11/2019 17:28

So you’re not comparing like for like. Hue stream is an app, this is an H …So you’re not comparing like for like. Hue stream is an app, this is an HDMI switch with Ambilight functionality built in.

I wasn't comparing them, but as you are you might notice that another difference is £229.

Now, would you prefer I delete my comment so people have no other options?
ElBuc27/11/2019 13:51

There's a FREE app for the Nvidia Shield at the Google Play Store which …There's a FREE app for the Nvidia Shield at the Google Play Store which does this. Search for Hue Stream!

Funnily enough, it's now available to buy in the UK. I want it, but that price tag is too much for me.

www2.meethue.com/en-…abb
Edited by: "Caskey" 5th Dec
Caskey05/12/2019 03:48

Funnily enough, it's now available to buy go the UK. I want it, but that …Funnily enough, it's now available to buy go the UK. I want it, but that price tag is too much for me.https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/p/hue-play-hdmi-sync-box/8718699704803?origin=3_GB_EN_syncboxlaunch_elq-b2c_hue_1902_top_bann_btn&origin=2_gb_en_hueaffiliate~a638168_awin______78888&awc=15251_1574857939_9d3956f7c6f1993017848f3f46a4d342&origin=2_gb_en_hueaffiliate~a638168_awin______249371&awc=15251_1575504866_8f0c5d4632db2dbc0eccc8e5566e1abb

that’s why I posted it as a deal (now discussion) on here - because it went on sale. I’ve got mine and am using it. For me, it works best with sports, movies and games, and some tv shows.
nabby05/12/2019 09:39

that’s why I posted it as a deal (now discussion) on here - because i … that’s why I posted it as a deal (now discussion) on here - because it went on sale. I’ve got mine and am using it. For me, it works best with sports, movies and games, and some tv shows.

Just posted just because I didn't see any links to it. So just adding to the post a little hopefully. I'm still in 2 minds to buy it. I thought it would work really well with games especially.
Edited by: "Caskey" 5th Dec
Caskey05/12/2019 10:50

Just posted just because I didn't see any links to it. So just adding to …Just posted just because I didn't see any links to it. So just adding to the post a little hopefully. I'm still in 2 minds to buy it. I thought it would work really well with games especially.

The link was removed but I hadn’t noticed that, so thanks for putting another in your post
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions