Philips Sonicare Toothbrushes

Found 2nd May
My dentist has recommended that I try a Philips Sonicare toothbrush. They said not to go for the cheapest model but anything after that would be fine and that the really expensive ones were just full of unnecessary gimmicks.

I've looked and am baffled by the number of options, I know there is lots of knowledgeable people on here! Which one is the best to go for?!

I thought I'd figured the model numbers out, the two I'd narrowed it down to were:

HX6511/43 - £35.99 Amazon
HX8931/10 - £37.50 Tesco

Now the bit after the / I think is the head the toothbrush comes with, they're all interchangeable so that bit doesn't matter too much.

I thought that higher numbers for the 4 digit part meant a better handle, but then looking at the specs for those two above, I'm not so sure!

philips.co.uk/c-p…ons

philips.co.uk/c-p…ons

What do you reckon?!
Community Updates
14 Comments
deleted79467
Not sure of model but after an oral b electric toothbrush found the Phillips far better at cleani
That was basically what the dentist was saying. I've had an oral b for a while now but don't really rate it much. She said she used to only recommend oral b but has now converted to sonicare. I figured it was worth a try.

The higher model number has an RRP of £150 compared to £90 for the other one. Which suggests it would be better. The £90 one though says it removes more plaque.
nbuuifx28 m ago

That was basically what the dentist was saying. I've had an oral b for a …That was basically what the dentist was saying. I've had an oral b for a while now but don't really rate it much. She said she used to only recommend oral b but has now converted to sonicare. I figured it was worth a try.The higher model number has an RRP of £150 compared to £90 for the other one. Which suggests it would be better. The £90 one though says it removes more plaque.

It’s personal preference really and with dentist get paid to plug each brand. Has a sonic one and preferred the oral b ones myself and our new dentist recommends oral b where as our old one Phillips.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd May
Would recommend the sonicare but get the model down from diamond clean (their cheapest version isn't great, but the one I've got which I think was called whitening is excellent (think it was around £100 but I got it half price at boots years ago)). That and oral b pro toothpaste feels like getting a clean and polish from the dentist every day!

Try and find the number of pulses per minute, the higher the better (I think 60000 is decent, I tried one with 30000 and didn't like it much)
Edited by: "EdinburghShop85" 3rd May
EdinburghShop856 h, 51 m ago

Would recommend the sonicare but get the model down from diamond clean …Would recommend the sonicare but get the model down from diamond clean (their cheapest version isn't great, but the one I've got which I think was called whitening is excellent (think it was around £100 but I got it half price at boots years ago)). That and oral b pro toothpaste feels like getting a clean and polish from the dentist every day!Try and find the number of pulses per minute, the higher the better (I think 60000 is decent, I tried one with 30000 and didn't like it much)

From what I've read Philips only make brushes with 31,000 brushes per minute. They quote it as 62,000 movements some of the time but it is the same thing. Each 'brush' has a forward and backward movement. So they double the number some of the time, it was just a PR stunt.
EdinburghShop857 h, 11 m ago

Would recommend the sonicare but get the model down from diamond clean …Would recommend the sonicare but get the model down from diamond clean (their cheapest version isn't great, but the one I've got which I think was called whitening is excellent (think it was around £100 but I got it half price at boots years ago)). That and oral b pro toothpaste feels like getting a clean and polish from the dentist every day!Try and find the number of pulses per minute, the higher the better (I think 60000 is decent, I tried one with 30000 and didn't like it much)

Apparently from what I've just read, the diamond clean part is just the brush head. As the heads are all interchangeable you can just buy the diamond clean heads for any handle.

The one you like to above is the hx8911 for £50. I would assume the hx8931 that I linked to would be a slightly higher model as the number is higher and it is only £37.50. They both have an RRP of £150.

Again from what I read, it said to avoid ones with lots of modes as the additional modes are all reduced power modes and all the handles have the same full power mode.

It is so confusing! I can't find anything that actually confirms that a higher model number is better though!
nbuuifx9 m ago

Apparently from what I've just read, the diamond clean part is just the …Apparently from what I've just read, the diamond clean part is just the brush head. As the heads are all interchangeable you can just buy the diamond clean heads for any handle. The one you like to above is the hx8911 for £50. I would assume the hx8931 that I linked to would be a slightly higher model as the number is higher and it is only £37.50. They both have an RRP of £150.Again from what I read, it said to avoid ones with lots of modes as the additional modes are all reduced power modes and all the handles have the same full power mode.It is so confusing! I can't find anything that actually confirms that a higher model number is better though!

Yeah mine has 3 options, normal, sensitive and whitening. I always use the whitening one as it's the most powerful so the others are not used. Good luck!!
deleted79467
I got mine off Ebay started turning itself on after 6 months contacted Phillips and they exchanged for new handle no problem good service imo
I had the hx6511 which broke after maybe 2 years and I purchased oral b which I used for about a week before buying another sonicare

hx6511 was just as good as the one I have now, I paid the same price for them both but my current one retails for double - so as your dentist says, expensive ones just have gimmicks - hx6511 is a great brush

philips.co.uk/etc…/10

that's a comparison, they are essentially the same brush but the other one has a gum feature (it's like a pulsing mode)
Edited by: "murtgurge" 3rd May
I have this one, amazon.co.uk/Phi…3EO but use a smaller (generic) diamond brush.. squeaky clean teeth
Edited by moderator: "trimmed link" 3rd May
While everyone is talking about the soniccleans - what brushes do people use? I tried some aftermarket ones and they were much softer than the philip ones. They frayed quickly and irritated my gums.

Is there a decent source of cheaper genuine heads?
deleted79467
mas993 h, 25 m ago

While everyone is talking about the soniccleans - what brushes do people …While everyone is talking about the soniccleans - what brushes do people use? I tried some aftermarket ones and they were much softer than the philip ones. They frayed quickly and irritated my gums.Is there a decent source of cheaper genuine heads?

I just get originals when Amazon has an offer
Ended up going for the 8931 from Tesco. Went on the assumption that the higher number meant it was better along with the higher RRP. Still never really found out if that was true or not!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants