Phillips hue

Posted 13th Dec 2019
I have Philips hue bulbs in my living room

5 bulbs the hub obviously nothing else yet

now problem I'm having is once I turn all bulbs off with my Google home mini at about 11pm my kids are going down in the night and switching the lights on/off by the switch still so I'm waking up some morning with the bulbs on that horrible yellow colour that they automatically go to once you switch them on/off by the light switch

so I was thinking maybe getting the sensor or the Phillips hue dimmer switch

would any of these help?
with the sensor can I say set it to work at 11pm when I go to bed so then it's just working through the night?

with the dimmer switch once switched on/off does it revert back to the colours I last used with my bulbs?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Yes the dimmer remebers you last settings, so will go on at the same colour as they go off, you can also program different colours for different numbers of presses, however, if like me you kids/wife ignore it and use the switch anyway well that is a training issue :-)
Peejay123413/12/2019 09:26

Yes the dimmer remebers you last settings, so will go on at the same …Yes the dimmer remebers you last settings, so will go on at the same colour as they go off, you can also program different colours for different numbers of presses, however, if like me you kids/wife ignore it and use the switch anyway well that is a training issue :-)

Might have to invest in the dimmer switch I think
efc_4ever13/12/2019 09:29

Might have to invest in the dimmer switch I think

I wouldn’t have the setup without it. Get an attachment to go over the existing switch.
marshy5113/12/2019 09:50

I wouldn’t have the setup without it. Get an attachment to go over the e …I wouldn’t have the setup without it. Get an attachment to go over the existing switch.

That's a good idea. Who sells the attachment

Existing switch (the one I need my kids to stop touching)
39347205.jpg
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 13th Dec 2019
MT204513/12/2019 10:25

Try one of these links

So this goes over my existing light switch and then my Philips hue dimmer switch slots in the same spot as my old switch

This is brilliant

Thanks guys
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 13th Dec 2019
You can set ‘power on behaviour’ for your lights in the Hue app
efc_4ever13/12/2019 10:28

So this goes over my existing light switch and then my Philips hue dimmer …So this goes over my existing light switch and then my Philips hue dimmer switch slots in the same spot as my old switchThis is brilliantThanks guys

Yeah. Unscrew the screws holding the plate on. Put the new plate over it and screw in the longer screws provided. Easy
Diggsy13/12/2019 10:31

You can set ‘power on behaviour’ for your lights in the Hue app

Oh yes . Just set them all to last colour used
efc_4ever13/12/2019 10:37

Oh yes . Just set them all to last colour used

Good work! Hopefully that’ll sort it for you
Diggsy13/12/2019 10:39

Good work! Hopefully that’ll sort it for you

Thanks. Making me question if I need the dimmer now

On/off at existing switch and dim with Google mini or app
efc_4ever13/12/2019 10:42

Thanks. Making me question if I need the dimmer nowOn/off at existing …Thanks. Making me question if I need the dimmer nowOn/off at existing switch and dim with Google mini or app

The dimmer is handy as you can set it up to do several preset things with each button press - different colours, brightness levels etc

But it sounds like all you need is the power on behaviour so you won’t need the dimmer
Edited by: "Diggsy" 13th Dec 2019
There is a setting in the hue app so that whenever the power goes out the lights will be exactly as you left them when the power comes on, this negates the use of the light switch thereby forcing the kids to use the voice command
Wolfout13/12/2019 13:03

There is a setting in the hue app so that whenever the power goes out the …There is a setting in the hue app so that whenever the power goes out the lights will be exactly as you left them when the power comes on, this negates the use of the light switch thereby forcing the kids to use the voice command

I just tested it so I set the power on behavior to power loss recovery and that makes them go back to the last colour you used

I switched light off then back on and all lights came on as the same colours. I turned light switch on/off again but this time it went to the original yellow colour again
Did you leave a few seconds between the presses? States in the app that if you don’t wait several seconds then the lights will come on at default, as quick pressing twice or more is like a reset. If that’s likely to happen to you, maybe you would be better with a dimmer switch, although several presses of it would change things too, unless you are creative when installing it
Edited by: "Diggsy" 13th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions