Phillips Hue Lightbulb

Posted 2nd May
Hi guys ordered the Philips bulb off Amazon and have tried everything to get this thing connected to Alexa but she won't discover it. I can control it through the app on my phone. I have tried a hard reset of Alexa and a reset via serial number but nothing at all works. anyone else had this issue? cheers
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
I have had a similar incident, however my issues and solutions may not help. Here goes, I found that the app the device connected to (TuyaSmart) was registered at a different email address of mine than the one for amazon Alexa. Also if using different devices, check that they are using the same WiFi as the amazon Alexa device. Hope you get it sorted.
Is it an Echo Plus? You either need that or the Hue Hub to be able to control it with Alexa.
winzzz02/05/2020 23:00

Is it an Echo Plus? You either need that or the Hue Hub to be able to …Is it an Echo Plus? You either need that or the Hue Hub to be able to control it with Alexa.

Yeah echo plus honestly tried everything changed emails it won't even find the device via bluetooth. My father has the exact same setup and his works with ease. Strange
gailanderson@tes02/05/2020 22:57

I have had a similar incident, however my issues and solutions may not …I have had a similar incident, however my issues and solutions may not help. Here goes, I found that the app the device connected to (TuyaSmart) was registered at a different email address of mine than the one for amazon Alexa. Also if using different devices, check that they are using the same WiFi as the amazon Alexa device. Hope you get it sorted.

Thankyou yeah I tried the email change aswell as hard resets of both and I'm not sure you can connect hue bulb to wifi think it is just Bluetooth. Thankyou
I have 2 Bluetooth hue bulbs, both work fine with Alexa, without the hub.
I assume you’ve enabled the hue skill?
Are the bulbs and Alexa device in the same room? Remember Bluetooth is limited range.
Edited by: "MadSkilzYo" 3rd May
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 07:37

I have 2 Bluetooth hue bulbs, both work fine with Alexa, without the hub. …I have 2 Bluetooth hue bulbs, both work fine with Alexa, without the hub. I assume you’ve enabled the hue skill?Are the bulbs and Alexa device in the same room? Remember Bluetooth is limited range.

Yeah same room and evdrytime I try to enable the skill it says I need the hub
40621936-M4ea7.jpg
I've set the whole house with the Bluetooth bulbs and echo dots (gen3).

Added Hue BT app (not standard Hue app) added bulbs one by one to app on phone.
Open Alexa app, devices, add devices, add hue bulb, she asked are they Bluetooth, yes, added to app, yes. Discover hold phone next to bulb, done.

But did also work doing without holding phone right next to a lamp also.
Ivor-NoReasonToCare03/05/2020 11:04

I've set the whole house with the Bluetooth bulbs and echo dots …I've set the whole house with the Bluetooth bulbs and echo dots (gen3).Added Hue BT app (not standard Hue app) added bulbs one by one to app on phone.Open Alexa app, devices, add devices, add hue bulb, she asked are they Bluetooth, yes, added to app, yes. Discover hold phone next to bulb, done.But did also work doing without holding phone right next to a lamp also.

How do you get the by app? Android and Alexa finds my phone etc so it's weird
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 11:20

How do you get the by app? Android and Alexa finds my phone etc so it's …How do you get the by app? Android and Alexa finds my phone etc so it's weird

App store.

There are two Hue apps.
40622798-WbTnG.jpg
Ivor-NoReasonToCare03/05/2020 11:21

App store.There are two Hue apps.[Image]

Hi when I download the other app it asks if I have a bridge.. no do you have a bulb with Bluetooth yes then it says download the Bluetooth app I'm already have. Nightmare
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 11:29

Hi when I download the other app it asks if I have a bridge.. no do you …Hi when I download the other app it asks if I have a bridge.. no do you have a bulb with Bluetooth yes then it says download the Bluetooth app I'm already have. Nightmare

You only need the Bluetooth app if you have no hub.

Bluetooth app works, issue is Alexa discovering. Are you 'asking' her directly to discover devices or using the Alexa app on your phone to discover?
Ivor-NoReasonToCare03/05/2020 11:37

You only need the Bluetooth app if you have no hub.Bluetooth app works, …You only need the Bluetooth app if you have no hub.Bluetooth app works, issue is Alexa discovering. Are you 'asking' her directly to discover devices or using the Alexa app on your phone to discover?

I have no hub and have tried discovery multiple times through both app and Alexa directly also tried resetting Alexa hard aswell as bulb through serial number when I do that I get this
40622978-sTpAl.jpgThanks
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 11:41

I have no hub and have tried discovery multiple times through both app and …I have no hub and have tried discovery multiple times through both app and Alexa directly also tried resetting Alexa hard aswell as bulb through serial number when I do that I get this [Image] Thanks

Not sure they're compatible with 2nd gen.

I have 3rd gen, and get these steps when using Android Alexa app to add a device

40623025-DDVgT.jpgSelect Hue
40623025-pSObl.jpgYes
40623025-39fwr.jpgAt this point I can connect directly to Alexa using the button at bottom of screen or hold my phone 15cm from the bulb using 'tap here'
Edited by: "Ivor-NoReasonToCare" 3rd May
Ivor-NoReasonToCare03/05/2020 11:45

Not sure they're compatible with 2nd gen.I have 3rd gen, and get these …Not sure they're compatible with 2nd gen.I have 3rd gen, and get these steps when using Android Alexa app to add a device[Image] Select Hue[Image] Yes[Image] At this point I can connect directly to Alexa using the button at bottom of screen or hold my phone 15cm from the bulb using 'tap here'

I get the exact same options just doesn't discover anything dad has same Alexa and same bulb his worked no problem at all. I give In haha thankyou so much for your help
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 11:53

I get the exact same options just doesn't discover anything dad has …I get the exact same options just doesn't discover anything dad has same Alexa and same bulb his worked no problem at all. I give In haha thankyou so much for your help

Assume your Alexa is close enough to you bulb?

Personally I'm loving these, now in all but one room of the house (gu10s in there too expensive atm) with a few dimmer controls too. Routines set up for many things, I'm so lazy now, just say goodnight to her in the corner and she turns my TV, Xbox, and living room lights off, turns the hallway, staircase and bathroom light on for me!
Ivor-NoReasonToCare03/05/2020 11:57

Assume your Alexa is close enough to you bulb?Personally I'm loving these, …Assume your Alexa is close enough to you bulb?Personally I'm loving these, now in all but one room of the house (gu10s in there too expensive atm) with a few dimmer controls too. Routines set up for many things, I'm so lazy now, just say goodnight to her in the corner and she turns my TV, Xbox, and living room lights off, turns the hallway, staircase and bathroom light on for me!

That's what I was hoping for as now have a new TV set up yeah she is close maybe just bite the bullet and buy the hub save any future issues. I have had a similar issue before getting her to discover a phone must just be due an uopgrade
I’ve just checked my Alexa app. I don’t have hue skill enabled, so if you do disable it.
Go to add device,
Select light, DONT select Philips hue at the top.
Then select Philips hue from the list.
Is your light Bluetooth will appear, select yes.
Follow instructions pay attention to step 2.
40623435-uAv1d.jpg
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 12:20

I’ve just checked my Alexa app. I don’t have hue skill enabled, so if you d …I’ve just checked my Alexa app. I don’t have hue skill enabled, so if you do disable it. Go to add device,Select light, DONT select Philips hue at the top. Then select Philips hue from the list. Is your light Bluetooth will appear, select yes. Follow instructions pay attention to step 2. [Image]

Also tried this about 59 times stood at the light switch the majority of yesterday luckily I got the bulb for.£4.99 so not a huge loss xD
You must have a bad bulb.
It’s definitely a BT bulb, cuz they’re not both.
Just been on the philips website. Bluetooth hue bulbs only compatible with series3 dots.

40623644-aRssH.jpg
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 12:35

Just been on the philips website. Bluetooth hue bulbs only compatible with …Just been on the philips website. Bluetooth hue bulbs only compatible with series3 dots.[Image]

This is my echo not sure if it should be compatible. Thanks again
40623681-YlhPz.jpg
My screen shot does say it is compatible with echo plus, so again it’s strange it doesn’t.
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 12:43

My screen shot does say it is compatible with echo plus, so again it’s s …My screen shot does say it is compatible with echo plus, so again it’s strange it doesn’t.

My smart TV has google assistant built in via remote would that work
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 12:44

My smart TV has google assistant built in via remote would that work

I have no experience with google assistant, but if it did, wouldn’t the tv need to be on just to turn your light on or off?
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 12:57

I have no experience with google assistant, but if it did, wouldn’t the tv …I have no experience with google assistant, but if it did, wouldn’t the tv need to be on just to turn your light on or off?

True guess I'll just have to use phone ,:(
Jon_Dent03/05/2020 13:16

True guess I'll just have to use phone ,:(

Hey buddy, did you ever get this to work with Alexa?
I might have a solution.
I purchase 3 Bluetooth hue bulbs, and couldn’t get my echo to find them although they work fine in the hueBT app.
Here’s what I did.
Open up hueBT app.
Go to settings
Go to voice assistants
Select Alexa
Now try discovering again in Alexa app.
MadSkilzYo07/05/2020 09:08

Hey buddy, did you ever get this to work with Alexa?I might have a …Hey buddy, did you ever get this to work with Alexa?I might have a solution. I purchase 3 Bluetooth hue bulbs, and couldn’t get my echo to find them although they work fine in the hueBT app. Here’s what I did. Open up hueBT app. Go to settingsGo to voice assistantsSelect Alexa Now try discovering again in Alexa app.

Tried this also nothing works I was thinking if one device is connected to Bluetooth how can the other connect just using as a standard lightbulb for now thanks tho
I take it you have done the "alexa search for devices"
Rocknroiia14/05/2020 17:09

I take it you have done the "alexa search for devices"

Yeah tried every still won't connect to this day:(
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions