Phone 5g signal problems

Posted 8th Feb 2023
Ive found 5g signal terrible. when I can get 5g in the city mostly it hangs then jumps right down to H+ skipping 4g. Struggling to do much on H+.
I never get 4g and 4g+? Switched preference in the phone settings to 4g then things are great. Internet is great most of the time traveling about.
Others finding the same 5g problems?

Pixel 6 on 02 network
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The o2 network can’t really cope due to congestion. And it’s common to keep jumping down to 3G/H+ regularly in some areas since there’s no VoLTE support everywhere still.

I’d encourage you to switch networks. EE for the very best, or Vodafone for a close second.

O2 is consistently coming dead last in independent testing across the nation at the moment for overall network performance, data performance, and data speeds. There’s just too many people being added to the network with minimal investment to boost capacity.
    Author
    Postcode Checker

Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband. (edited)
    Can you screenshot this or provide your town If you want.
    What does it say for 5g coverage etc?
    I have a pixel 7, and I'm on sky which piggybacks O2.

I always find it sometimes slows when you are in an area where lots and lots of people are. But otherwise for me it gives the best signal and usually a decent speed. Even LTE should easily cope with streaming video etc.

I moved from ee as while speeds were generally good, the signal was utter poop. Even dropping out inside buildings in city's etc.

I haven't had any 5g signal from O2 yet or none that I have noticed.
    Anonymous User
    You say you've not had any 5G signal from O2, but earlier you said you use Sky?

Sky don't support the Pixel, and if you search the forums, you'll find many frustrated Pixel owners from the 4a 5G on, who can't get 5G on their handsets.

I asked here about it a while back, but people didn't seem to appreciate that just because an MVNO piggybacks, you don't get the same service performance or features.
    I have become aware of issues over VPN usage and specifically 5g connection. Can result in very low download speeds in some circumsatnces.
    On O2 in N.Ireland and have no such issues floating from 5g back to 4g on a Samsung S22 Ultra. Also no issues using VoLTE.
    I've had a 5g contract and 5G phone for 4 years and never used 5G, I tried it out for a few days and found rather than switching to 4G it would try to hang onto 5G even when too far from the mast to get a reliable connection and videos start buffering, pages loading slow.
    tested speed which came back at like 2mbps, switched 5g off in same location and got 120mbps on 4G.
    Tried it again a few times recently and had the same issues, I'll stick to 4G (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants